Announcement... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Announcement...

poppy123456
poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
I've been a member here since August 2017 and a community champion for just over 2 years of that time (i think)  and i've made more than 22,000 posts, spent long hours helping thousands of people because i care!. Made some lovely friends in that time too!

However, it comes with a very sad heart that i've made a decision to leave the community for good. I just can't sit here and read some of the replies from some members. Mis-information and contradictions followed by changes in story half way through, questions asked, no answers given and information that really doesn't make a lot of sense. Vulnerable people rely on forums like this to advise them when they have no one else to turn to and to think they could read such comments makes me cringe.

The past couple of weeks have been the worst i've ever known the community to be in over 3 years of being a member and it feels like nothing at all is being done to put things right. Instead we are told to report such comments and they will be dealt with, we are told to walk away and let admin deal with such comments yet things never change.

If any of my friends here would like to keep in touch please do send a private message and i'll be more than happy to give you my personal email address so that we can remain friends. I will of course return to answer any messages i receive.

Take care everyone and stay safe!
I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 I am so sorry to read that but I fully understand and i for one will keep in touch. The awful thing is that scope will lose one of , no make that THE  most knowledgable benefits advisors who knows more about benefits than the rest of us know combined
    This forum will be worse for your loss than many people might realise, and it's a great shame that a small number of posters are driving others away.
    I hope in the not too distant future you come back and take a look at us and hopefully see that things have changed, and decide to come back.
    But in the meanwhile I will wish you and yours all the very best.
    Stay well stay safe and keep in touch
    John
    x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @poppy123456, I'm sorry to hear of your decision, I will certainly miss your wisdom, compassion and expertise.
    I'd love to stay in touch but I don't know how to send private messages... If you could advise me how to do this, I would be most grateful. 

Take care xx 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 I'm sorry to hear about your decision.  Your contribution to the lives of people on the forum over the last two years has been unsurpassed, and that's something we are very thankful for.  I understand however if you feel it's right to take some time out and our door is always open should you re-consider.  Take care of yourself and know that you always have friends here.   <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m sorry to see you go @poppy123456, thank you for your invaluable advice and input.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    So sad to hear this, but understandable.
    Your benefit knowledge, understanding and patience has helped so many people, myself included, literally putting money into my pocket with advice about premiums I had no clue of.
    Spend your time with your family and enjoy your little grandson.
    All the best, Poppy and thanks  :'(
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @poppy123456 but I do understand why 

It will be a sad place without you it was a challenge last time you took a break as nobody has your extensive benefits knowledge 

Take care of yourself and your family 

I will send you my personal email if you want to stay in touch 

X x 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @poppy123456 I'm so sad to read this. Its such a shame for the Scope community. When I joined this forum you gave me really helpful advice and I have never forgotten that.  You must feel very hurt by the lack of support recently but please be aware an awful lot of us will miss your sage advice.  We've already lost the Spiceman and now you. I will certainly keep in touch and will pm you. ☹☹☹
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Bumped just because poppy deserves a decent send off for all the help she's given, and all the hours she has given so freely.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cressida
    @woodbine I agree, she will be irreplaceable. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you everyone for you lovely messages. I truely have made some wonderful friends since i've been part of the community.

Sadly, i haven't changed my mind and i won't be coming back. I practically gave 3 quarters of my time to help others here on the community but now it's time to step down and let someone else take over. I'm sure someone will come along and step into my shoes and continue to give the advice that others need.

As promised i will reply to all my private messages and send my personal email address to you. @Oxonlady i will private message you and send my email address to you, it will be easier than explaining how to PM someone.

I will return over the next few days to answer any further private messages i receive.

Take care everyone!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear you are going Poppy. I can imagine it took a lot of your time so will be a bit of a relief for you, I wonder what you will do with all the time now! Anyway I do hope you will pop back just to say hi every so often even if you don’t post on any threads asking for help.

Thanks for all the help you gave me, I really appreciate it!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Your contributions over the years have been immeasurable @poppy123456 and you've always been well-known throughout Scope, so I know we will miss you immensely. The responses here show just how well-regarded you are and how much you'll be missed. But I do appreciate that you feel you need to move on and it's important for you to put yourself first. I wish you, your daughters and your little grandson all the best and thank you for all that you've done.

Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cressida
    @encaser I totally agree about the monitoring of threads. You have echoed my thoughts exactly and you have highlighted a major problem in your second paragraph. Thank you.  :)
    @woodbine @poppy123456
    @chiarieds

I have tagged in Poppy in the hope that she is sticking around for a bit to read the comments.  

• Cressida
    @chiarieds it's nice to see you posting on here. :) I was a bit worried that you had also left the forum and that there was going to be a mass exodus with you and @woodbine both leaving  :s I'm pleased to see that that is not the case. I always enjoy reading your 'wise' posts. Unfortunately unless there is some more serious moderation on the posts I'm sure things won't change any time soon regarding the runaway threads.  :(

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @poppy123456 well this makes me very sad I must say but I understand and respect your decision . But you will be missed I will message you with my personal email address so you can keep in touch . 
    You have really helped me on this forum along with others . The help and support I have recieved off this forum has been amazing . I struggle making friends and keeping friends because of my illness I know it sounds stupid but if I make friends with some one and I message them and they don’t reply back I think they hate me automatically it’s part of my illness so I tend not to make friends . 

@poppy123456 I will miss you very much the advice and support you have given so many people on here in my opinion has been the best . I have noticed lately that people have been quite negative towards your self and others on this forum which I don’t understand I’m going to put it down to people just being stressed . But I can imagine it’s hard not to take it personally . 

I think people forget that we are all either disabled or have a love one who’s disabled so we come on hear for support . 

I was very sad last night to hear my friend is leaving the forum I know how much you care for the forum and how much effort and time you put into answering every ones questions . The advice on here I have received not only from your self but from others is the reason why I have got threw a pip application and was successful , I got a settlement from my work who bullied me for being disabled and I feel less alone . Before this forum I felt constantly suicidal and since being on hear I feel less like I want to die each day because I have friends .  

I really hope the forum gets back to how it was so that no one else starts to leave . I wish you all the best and keep in touch xx 

@chiar@chiarieds
    thanks so much for your kind words that means so much to me you have no idea . I appreciate all the support and advise you have given me and for being a good friend . Xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Again, thank you for your very kind words @Cressida :) . I'm a bit lost for words for a change. I always supported Poppy where I could because she's also a member of the community; we all have feelings & can get both upset & hurt. It's lovely to see the warmth & respect for Poppy shown her by those that saw how much she gave to the community. <3
    @cupcake88 -  also a dear friend, thank you for your kindness, & lovely words; we all need them. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds you missed me off the list of lovely people lol only joking 
    ??

Brightness