Just A Warning About Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just A Warning About Carers Allowance

anth22
anth22 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
I know a carer who didnt receive their carers allowance today due to PIP not informing them the disabled person had been given an extension  on their PIP. Carers allowance said its not PIP who should have told them about the extension its the carers duty, so be warned if your carers money hasnt gone in it could be down to this situation. My friend now has to wait another 5 days to receive her payment.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us will help lot of people 
  • anth22
    anth22 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
    Your welcome i was thinking the same it will help many people out because lets say for an example my friends PIP was due to end on the 26th Jan 2021 and her friend was receiving carers allowance to look after her, carers allowance would also stop on that date as carers would have no idea her PIP had been extended for a few months. So if anyone receives a letter from PIP with an extension on it and they have a carer they need to let Carers Allowance know asap.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @anth22, that what’s this forum is about giving information to help and inform members to continue receiving their benefits and helping advising where and when we can, thank you for bringing this nugget of information to the community attention.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing @anth22 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ralph
    Ralph Community member Posts: 81 Pioneering
    We had a PIP renewal phone interview a couple of weeks ago. It was one week before the extension date ended. We are waiting for the results of the interview, it may be weeks according to the texts. Carers allowance stopped on the extension date. Do we get back paid carers allowance when our PIP is renewed?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Ralph said:
    We had a PIP renewal phone interview a couple of weeks ago. It was one week before the extension date ended. We are waiting for the results of the interview, it may be weeks according to the texts. Carers allowance stopped on the extension date. Do we get back paid carers allowance when our PIP is renewed?

The PIP will continue until a decision is made on the review. You can ring carers allowance to tell them this. Unless a decision's been made on the review in the meantime.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.