I want a new phone this year, what should I get though? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I want a new phone this year, what should I get though?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
Topic.

I'm after a new phone post lockdown when we can visit my Brother in London to get it set up and stuff, but I'm torn what to get? Vote in the poll and help me decide please guys!

I want a new phone this year, what should I get though? 8 votes

Samsung Galaxy S20
50%
janer1967[Deleted User]Lisatho119877778cent8 4 votes
Google Pixel 5
0%
Motorola Moto G9
0%
Apple Iphone 12
25%
mia97MarkM88 2 votes
Other (preferably Android but will take other OS's)
25%
GeoarkBrettW 2 votes
Tagged:

Comments

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    The Samsung Galaxy S21 is about to release I believe @MrAllen1976
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Apple Iphone 12
    I voted IPhone 12 but that’s only because I’m an Apple fan and have always used an iPhone pretty much. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    can't help sorry I have a very bog standard phone and even then only use it for calls and text, think i'm getting too long in the tooth for an all singing all dancing one :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    Apple Iphone 12
    woodbine said:
    can't help sorry I have a very bog standard phone and even then only use it for calls and text, think i'm getting too long in the tooth for an all singing all dancing one :)
    That’s exactly what my nana said Woodbine and now she’s addicted to her smartphone. I thought technology would scare her. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    These are all latest models and will be quite expensive 

You could save some money either if on contract or buying if you go for an older model 

I understand people want the latest but I always decide based on what I want the phone to do and if your not going to use all the features why pay for them 

Just my opinion 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 it doesn't scare me tbh I just can't be bothered, we were talking the other day and when we got married 40 years ago we didn't even have a house phone but there was a public box round the corner.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Me too, I have a bog standard £10 phone which I take out in case of emergencies. I also do pay as you go and I reckon I spend £10 every two years or so on it. They certainly won’t get rich with me as a customer. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S20FE. If you're into photography the cameras are amazing. 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    I use the Samsung Note 10+. I love the pen on it because its great to scribble notes on the calendar and stuff when they pop into my head.

Might have a look at the Note 21 when it comes out
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I will predictably vote for Apple but do you need the iPhone 12? I have an iPhone SE which was just over half the price of the 12 and I can’t think of any reason I’d need the 12 over it - the SE does everything I want.
  • MarkM88
    Apple Iphone 12
    66Mustang said:
    I will predictably vote for Apple but do you need the iPhone 12? I have an iPhone SE which was just over half the price of the 12 and I can’t think of any reason I’d need the 12 over it - the SE does everything I want.
    That’s a good point. I love Apple and use an iPhone but I never have the latest model as it’s very expensive. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    I am due for renewal  on my contract phone at the moment I have an s10 plus  so don't know what to go for next I like the phone that folds up 
  • [Deleted User]
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    I just looked up the S21 and it's going for around £500 on eBay unlocked, I don't have that kind of loot to spend on a phone, especially when most of the sellers don't have perfect feedback so I'm reluctant to trust them.

• Andy58
    Andy58 Community member Posts: 41 Pioneering
    On one of the bargain spotting sites I go on Xaomi Redmi phones are very popular
  • [Deleted User]
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    Andy58 said:
    On one of the bargain spotting sites I go on Xaomi Redmi phones are very popular
    Trouble with that though is that if they're very popular, they'll be in very high demand, so scalpers will be selling them for daft prices on eBay, like the PS5 and Xbox Series X at the moment.

• [Deleted User]
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    Do Iphones still rely on Itunes to download stuff? That would be an issue, I can't use Itunes on Chrome OS, only a Mac or Windows.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    They do still use iTunes however you no longer need to pair the device with a computer - they work as standalone devices. You get an iTunes app on the phone.
  • [Deleted User]
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    66Mustang said:
    They do still use iTunes however you no longer need to pair the device with a computer - they work as standalone devices. You get an iTunes app on the phone.
    Hmm, might be worth investigating then.

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    leeCal said:
    Me too, I have a bog standard £10 phone which I take out in case of emergencies. I also do pay as you go and I reckon I spend £10 every two years or so on it. They certainly won’t get rich with me as a customer. 
    That's not me, 20 years ago I was on PAYG on my first ever mobile, and I was going through £20 a month in credit so eventually in 2003 I decided blow it why not go on a £20 a month contract for a new phone and all the minutes etc included? Now 18 years later I've been with most of the big names including Orange and T-Mobile before they merged to form EE.

My current SIM Only contract with Three runs out in October, and then I'm half considering going on either GiffGaff or Plusnet Mobile for about £6 a month.

• Ibelive2020
    Ibelive2020 Community member Posts: 799 Pioneering
    @MrAllen1976 i got myself a new phone bout 8 weeks ágó i now have a samsung galaxy A21s 

Brightness