Delivery drivers from Just-Eat and Uber who can't get anywhere that doesn't come up Satnavs! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Delivery drivers from Just-Eat and Uber who can't get anywhere that doesn't come up Satnavs!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
Above.

I tried to order a McDonald's tea last Wednesday for a change, used Just-Eat to order 9 Chicken Nuggets, small chips and a Chocolate thick shake.

The site said the order would come half an hour later after the order went through, "fair enough" I thought, they've to prepare it and then give it to the delivery bloke.

Except the delivery guy never turned up because for as long as I've lived in the Flat, the only delivery places that don't get lost trying to deliver stuff are either Pizza Hut on Crookes or Domino's on West St, everywhere else uses drivers who clearly don't know their way and rely on Satnavs to get around.

I rang McDonald's on a London number based on the email receipt, and complained, they said the refund would be processed in 48 hours, this was last Wednesday tea time, I've just had an email from Just-Eat, they've said the refund will be back on my card in 3 to 7 working days, so probably by the middle of next week.

Jesus wept! I tell you one thing, I won't be using Just-Eat again.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you tried writing more detailed instructions in the box where they ask for instructions @MrAllen1976?

Perhaps give them a landmark that your flat is near or something.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Our post code comes up with 2 different addresses depending on which post code checker you use, as above we always give detailed instructions as most people don't know where we are as we live on a private estate which is also a dead end. Have used just eat for years now with no problems.
    But I do know that a lot of taxi drivers are delivering food in the evening as there's little else for them to do during lockdown.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m glad that sat nav exists.

We live at, say, number 23 Apple Tree Road (made up).

There is a number 23 directly behind the sign for Apple Tree Road but that’s number 23 for a different street - the street before. Number 1 is next to this place and our house is 22 houses further along. 

We have had deliveries go to the house behind the sign a few times, before satnav, when people had to rely on their brain! I’m surprised it didn’t happen very often but doesn’t happen at all now that the satnav tells people exactly where to go. :D

Sorry this doesn’t help you OP, just a random anecdote!
  • [Deleted User]
    Have you tried writing more detailed instructions in the box where they ask for instructions @MrAllen1976?

That's a good idea but I shouldn't have to, the drivers if they're local, should know the area well enough to know how to get to places without relying on the Satnav.

Taxi drivers are bad for that as well, including Uber drivers... I used to have to get took to school by Taxi back in the mid to late 80s, Satnavs weren't even invented back then and drivers actually knew where they were going...

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree @MrAllen1976, you shouldn't have to, but I think it would help in this case. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected

That's a good idea but I shouldn't have to, the drivers if they're local, should know the area well enough to know how to get to places without relying on the Satnav.

Taxi drivers are bad for that as well, including Uber drivers... I used to have to get took to school by Taxi back in the mid to late 80s, Satnavs weren't even invented back then and drivers actually knew where they were going...

Keep in mind though, people don’t always work in the areas they come from and therefore might not know the area and so rely on sat nav or google maps. 
  • woodbine
    Back in the days before sat navs taxi drivers had to pass test with the local licensing authority before they could get a licence to drive a taxi.
    We very often get drivers from Sheffield even though we are 10 miles away from there.

1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
    yes it is very hard to eat outside food or get a delivery of food to your house due to covid 19
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah especially when the drivers have the social awareness of a Sheep and can't get anywhere without relying on the Satnav.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    @MrAllen1976, I think it's very important to keep in mind that not all drivers will live in or be from the area and they're currently doing a difficult job, in challenging conditions. We've relied heavily on delivery drivers during lockdown (and even before) and I'm really glad (and grateful) they've continued working, despite the conditions.

I think using a sat nav when you're a driver is a good thing. What don't you like about people using them?

My postcode either doesn't come up on sat navs or directs drivers to the middle of a retail park nearby, so I always make sure to give detailed instructions in the box that asks for delivery information. It only takes a few seconds, is helpful to the driver and helps me receive what I ordered! :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @119082 are you struggling to get a regular supply of food? 

Being in London I am aware that we probably have a much wider range of options than other areas. Still, it was a big issue for us in the first few weeks in the lockdown. Even now we have three or four suppliers on our list so if there are delivery issues with one we can swap to another. 

By far the best we have found is Morrisons on Amazon. Although they only show deliveries for two days, and have ordered the shopping late one night to find there were no delivery slots but was able to put the order through the next morning around 8 am for an 11 am delivery. Plus my weekly shopping bill has gone from around £60 per week to £45 per week. For frozen and a few other items we have found Iceland to be good, though they too can become overloaded with orders.

If you have freezer space another real good source I have used and would happily recommend is Muscle Food, don't let the name put you off. They are essentially an online butcher shop, though having just checked their site again the range of things they offer has increased. I checked them out during the first lockdown out of desperation and was amazed at the quality and price of the food.  The only caution I would use is in their pre-made meal pots. They weren't to our taste. One thing they have added is the build your own box, so you are not stuck with the main options they have on offer. As the main reason, we stopped using them was freezer space once normal shopping returned I may look at returning with them.

If you are struggling please let us know as I am sure others will be able to suggest different suppliers that have worked for them.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    @MrAllen1976, I think it's very important to keep in mind that not all drivers will live in or be from the area and they're currently doing a difficult job, in challenging conditions. We've relied heavily on delivery drivers during lockdown (and even before) and I'm really glad (and grateful) they've continued working, despite the conditions.

I think using a sat nav when you're a driver is a good thing. What don't you like about people using them?

My postcode either doesn't come up on sat navs or directs drivers to the middle of a retail park nearby, so I always make sure to give detailed instructions in the box that asks for delivery information. It only takes a few seconds, is helpful to the driver and helps me receive what I ordered! :smiley:
    Thing is though, if someone has no idea where they're going and rely on the Satnav, there's been reports of people trespassing on private Farmland etc because that's where the bloomin' Satnav's took them.

• [Deleted User]
    Also, as regards the failed Just-Eat order from last week, they sent me an email last night, the refund will be on my card within 3-7 working days they said? Eh? I spoke to the London based call centre last Wednesday tea time and she said it'd be done within 48 hours so that would've been last Friday tea time.

I officially give up.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I think what’s happened is, mis-communication. 

They would have processed the refund within 48 hours. 

Once they have initiated it, it probably takes 3-7 working days to go back onto the card. 
  • woodbine
    During lockdown3 we have not been out of the house(literally) we have relyed on deliveries from asda/ iceland and on ocassion just eat, we have been extremely grateful to the drivers and every time we give them a small tip which they in many cases seem surprised to get.
    I agree that mistakes do happen but so what? these are unusal times, we are all grateful for the hard work our doctors and nurses are putting in but there are also others that are doing sterling work and who do not deserve to be slagged off online.
    Just one other point @MrAllen1976 you tell us almost daily that you are looking for a job, have you applied to just eat as you seem to think you could do a better job than those who are doing it?

• woodbine

Thing is though, if someone has no idea where they're going and rely on the Satnav, there's been reports of people trespassing on private Farmland etc because that's where the bloomin' Satnav's took them.

do you have a link to any of these reports?

• [Deleted User]
    MarkN88 said:
    I think what’s happened is, mis-communication. 

They would have processed the refund within 48 hours. 

Once they have initiated it, it probably takes 3-7 working days to go back onto the card. 
    Typical, companies with the communication skills of a Sheep.. I wouldn't mind but I'm the one who was diagnosed with a flippin' communication disorder in October 1999, and if I tell someone I'll do something in 2 days I'll bloomin' well do in 2 days.

• [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:

do you have a link to any of these reports?
    Google is your friend.

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I have been shielding since last March. I haven't had any take away food deliveries during the pandemic but I do have regular supermarket deliveries. I may have been lucky but in all that time the drivers have been fantastic, I really appreciate the people who are risking their health every day doing a job for a bit more than minumum wage. I also tip the drivers and a little chat and a smile sets me up for another groundhog day :) 
  • [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    During lockdown3 we have not been out of the house(literally) we have relyed on deliveries from asda/ iceland and on ocassion just eat, we have been extremely grateful to the drivers and every time we give them a small tip which they in many cases seem surprised to get.
    I agree that mistakes do happen but so what? these are unusal times, we are all grateful for the hard work our doctors and nurses are putting in but there are also others that are doing sterling work and who do not deserve to be slagged off online.
    Just one other point @MrAllen1976 you tell us almost daily that you are looking for a job, have you applied to just eat as you seem to think you could do a better job than those who are doing it?
    I don't drive so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway.

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness