Clothing needs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Clothing needs

gemmca
gemmca Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2021 in Research and opportunities
Hi all, Just wanted to check in here and see if anyone wanted to share their story or their needs for specific clothing. 
I am currently doing some research into adaptive clothing and would love to discuss if anyone suffering from a disability have any specific requirements that would make clothing easier. 
For example, you might have difficult fastening buttons or difficulty putting on socks. 

Any advice / feedback is valuable!

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    As a visually impaired person, it would be much easier if labels were made more accessible. Maybe if they could be scanned by a smartphone app so you can view the information electronically? Who knows, that may already be possible. And with online shopping, I find the descriptions of items do nowehre near enough to give me a full picture of how it will look on me. I do have some useful vision but can't pick out much detail from a few images and a vague description.

Either way, interesting research and welcome to the community @gemmca
    :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • gemmca
    Thank you @Ross_Scope, That is very useful! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    gemmca said:
    Thank you @Ross_Scope, That is very useful! 
    No problem :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Because I'm hopeless with my hands, I can't do formal ties or shirt buttons, however the rare times I get to the interview bit in a job application, it's kind of expected to do the shirt and tie thing... Apart from clip on ties, and even they're fiddly, would there be any solutions?

• gemmca
    edited February 2021
    hi @MrAllen1976, There are shirts available to buy that have magnet/velcro closures - They have buttons on the outside so appear like traditional shirts but they do not require you to have to fiddle with buttons (they are great).
    With regards to ties that is a good question - perhaps there is a need for a tie that is already tied and then perhaps It has a velcro opening that is hidden under the shirt collar. 
    I would love if you could fill in my survey or even share it with those that you feel could benefit from suggesting clothing ideas to make dressing easier!
    This is the survey if you would like to take part :)
    [link removed by moderator pending review]
  • deanna
    deanna Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I have rh arthritis so can't wear tight clothes over my hips, knees or feet, causes quite a lot of pain.  Even pulling clothes on hard hurts my hands.  But I'd still like to look 'normal' or smart.  I wear leggings but would love to not have to wear them all the time.  I'd like, is as said above,  all clothing (particularly when buying online) to have  exact measurements not size (sizes are very different from one manufacturer to another).  I'd like fabric type so we will know how they feel.  

I'd like to look smart.  I'd like to not have to buy the same thing every time I buy clothes.  I'd like to be able to wear shoes instead of trainers.  Trousers instead of leggings.  God forbid, even a dress occasionally!
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    if other adaptive items are anything to go by I would have to say cost must be a consideration, put "adaptive" before anything and the £££s seem to go through the roof
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gemmac :) Welcome to the community! It certainly seems like interesting research. Just to let you know, I've temporarily removed the link to your survey. Would you be able to send a quick email to community@scope.org.uk so that we can check a few things? We do allow research to be posted on the community, but we just have to verify a couple of bits first. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • gemmca
    hi @deanna, Thank you for your reply! Every bit of info is so valuable to me in helping to bring more inclusive fashion products to the UK. I think it is very important to include as many measurements as possible for clothing as then individuals will know if it can fit their own body, When I launch my website I will be wanting to do this in as much detail as possible. 
    If you don't mind me asking, What do you think could help you for your clothing, You have mentioned it hurts to pull clothes on - would inside loops on the clothing help to solve this and make it easier for you to get different clothing on? I would love to hear more and hopefully come up with some ideas for you. 
  • gemmca
    Hi @Garza ,  We understand that a lot of clothing brands when they mention adaptive or inclusive they usually have a high price point. I would love to hear from you as to what would be the maximum you would be willing to pay for the following items as it is important to engage with the community and actually see what their price points would be before creating a great product that then no one will buy due to the price.
    What is the maximum you would pay for 
    - a tshirt , a sweatshirt , jeans , smart trousers , coat , hat , underwear. 

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks for your comment.

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    gemmca said:
    Hi @Garza ,  We understand that a lot of clothing brands when they mention adaptive or inclusive they usually have a high price point. I would love to hear from you as to what would be the maximum you would be willing to pay for the following items as it is important to engage with the community and actually see what their price points would be before creating a great product that then no one will buy due to the price.
    What is the maximum you would pay for 
    - a tshirt , a sweatshirt , jeans , smart trousers , coat , hat , underwear. 

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks for your comment.

@gemmca

I have to use Jacamo for the sizing of tops i need, 4xl long length, i need the longer length to accomodate a significant abdominal hernia  so I am very limited in choice and also being on budget i would tend to wait for sales for most pieces 

in answer to your pricing question, I would probably pay upto £30 for a polo shirt or dress shirt, maybe £15 for a t shirt upto around £60 for a coat, jeans and trousers maybe around the £20 - 25 mark, if the product was really high quality or a designer piece that fit me I would pay more, i never buy designer bottoms as I am seated all the time 
  • gemmca
    Thanks so much for the reply, This is very useful information. 
    Do you find it difficult to shop with other brands due to the size of clothing you need?
    Do you require any adaptive features to make clothing easier?
    What about your bottom options are they limited?
    Thanks  :smile:

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.