Another 1.7 million people added to the shielding list — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Another 1.7 million people added to the shielding list

Swatteam
Swatteam Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
so begs the question will they be before me ? Will I be 1 of them . Am waiting patiently ? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't see where the gov.website suggest that an additional 1.7 million people have been added to the list?
    Do you have a link to this please @Swatteam
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
          @woodbine not sure if it is on the gov website as yet but in all the papers and on the news.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I received the email today informing me to continue shielding. No doubt a letter will follow.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    In wales they are telling us to shield  untill 31st march  had a letter two weeks ago 
  • Lisatho11987777
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine this is for England I can't do a thread sorry ?
  • Swatteam
    Sorry @woodbine I should've said on bbc for England... 
  • Swatteam
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Swatteam no problem I had to do it like thst as not sure how to do it as a link lol ? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Here's a BBC article on it @woodbine.

An extra 1.7 million people are expected to be added to the 2.3 million already on the list.
    It comes after a new model was developed that takes into account extra factors rather than just health.

This calculation includes things such as ethnicity, deprivation (by postcode) and weight to work out a person's risk of becoming seriously ill if they were to catch Covid.

It also looks at age, underlying health issues and prescribed medications.
    They are now being sent letters by the NHS informing of them of their new status, which means they are entitled to statutory sick pay, prioritisation for online shopping slots and help collecting medicines.

What do you mean by 'will they be before me?' @swatteam? Do you mean in terms of the vaccine? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you mean a link rather than a thread @lisathomas50? If so, then you can usually tap on the three dots on the right hand side of the screen and select the 'copy link' option. Alternatively, you can often hold down on the URL bar (where it says google.com/) and a copy option should come up. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Swatteam
    @Tori_Scope yes I mean my gp just says `wait your turn' when I asked what group I'm in .plus the added fact he says your waiting for a op bearing in mind I had 3 messentric stents put in for lifesaving surgery but that was in November  amongst other things I suffer with.   I don't mid waiting in a queue but I would still like my gp to let me know.
    @Username_removed @ it also looks at postcodes and weight  my mind boggles and there's me being 4.11. 6 stone a useless doctor I've got no chance   its not as if I want to jump up to the top of the list .
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Tori_Scope yes thats what I meant but it doesn't work for me lol ? 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    If any of these people come up on the vaccine list, will they be told to UN-isolate and go out for it, or will they get home visit vaccination despite not previously being on the g.p. 'housebound' list?
  • Lisatho11987777
    @newborn where I live they have been doing house calls 
  • Swatteam
    @newborn where I live they do house calls.
  • Swatteam
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    yes, house calls for those they have listed as house-bound.  Obviously not house calls for people who could go out, or used to be able to go out, the last time the g.p heard from them.
    So, you think, simply get a phone appointment or send a message by phone or email, saying you have a letter to get your vaccine, but you cannot now leave home.
    But no, it is not as straightforward as that.  The g.ps. all have systems in place to prevent people bothering them with Covid questions, so the receptionists interpret that as  "if there is anything at all to do with Covid19 vaccine, the patient must be prevented from accessing the g/p. by phone, or by email".
    They say those who are housebound are already on a 'housebound' list, and have all had the jabs already. In  vain, you may try to explain you won't be on the 'housebound list, if you cannot notify the g.p. you A R E housebound N O W, even though years ago, last time you went to surgery, you could get to surgery.
    That s why I'm really keen to find out if these new millions ordered to stay indoors are regarded as housebound?
    Some among them are bound to be due to go to medical appointments, and some are bound to be coming up due to go for their covid19 jab, either at a centre or at the g.p.
    You can't obey N.H.S. orders to stay indoors and at the same time obey N.H.S. orders to  go out.  But,  you might  N O T be a habitual, recorded, 'housebound patient'.    If they say "make an exception, go out if it's for medical reasons and/or for your turn for the vaccine", on what grounds are they saying it?   Will the virus know it should make an exception, and not infect  people who  are not on the way out in order to go to the shops, but to get the vaccine?
  • blues
    blues Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I've been shielding since last March and they don't do house calls where I live, I had to go to a big vaccination centre for my covid jab, I also have to go to the surgery for blood tests and regular injections.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @blues they do all my blood tests at home  the blood nurse comes thats we we call them lol 

Brightness