Video Games - Page 16 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video Games

Comments

• RichardLel
    RichardLel Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    I woke up from a frozen sleep in Fallout 4,I thought i was just going to survive in a radioactive wildness on my own, only to find it over populated and all needed organising and neither had a day off ever since! LOL
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I wonder if any of you ever suffer from vertigo and motion sickness from gaming?  I think I'm going to have stop playing Assassins Creed altogether because of it.  :(   I've been trying shorter sessions and keep looking away rather than focussing solidly on it but it's getting worse and worse.  I haven't played CoD for a few weeks so will give that a go instead tomorrow, but I'm not holding out much hope tbh.

I know it sounds like a first world problem but vertigo and stomach issues have already made driving anywhere very difficult, vision issues are making screen text difficult, and this is making gaming difficult.  I'm running out of past-times!!  :s
    My partner has some trouble with this and can only really either play 2d or isometric and fixed perspective games where there is very little movement. So nothing from the first-person, very little from the third-person, and a rotating camera is absolutely off the table. It makes her very nauseous and if she persists and plays anyway, it can result in days of migraines which can be very frustrating for her as she quite enjoys gaming.

I often struggle with certain first person games in enclosed environments and will need to expand the field of view dramatically. As an example, I can't play through ten minutes of Half-Life 2 without needing to lie down. I've had that game 16 years and haven't made any progress. Even the memory of it makes me feel a bit queasy!
    It is frustrating tbh as I've had every previous Assassins Creed game and managed to complete to 100% (or near enough) but this one I just can't do.

Oddly, I can still do CoD online, at least in half hour bursts, and I can't really work out what the difference is!  I would have thought being first person would make it worse.  I can see that the CoD camera is much more steady, presumably for the precision of shots over long distances.  And it's not as 'focussed' I guess, just being short games and spending a lot of time stationary waiting for ambush rather than constantly running about or riding horses etc.

I've been patiently waiting for the next GTA to be released, but now I'm worried I won't be able to do those any more either. 

I have given up on the idea of an Xbox Series X now as I can't justify it just for one game, not knowing if I may be able to play others in future, and not wishing to risk over £50 on a game that I may not be able to play.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

I've been patiently waiting for the next GTA to be released, but now I'm worried I won't be able to do those any more either. 

I have given up on the idea of an Xbox Series X now as I can't justify it just for one game, not knowing if I may be able to play others in future, and not wishing to risk over £50 on a game that I may not be able to play.

That's the huge dilemma these days for disabled people, I'm in the same boat that when I'm considering getting a game my first thought is always "okay so will I be able to play this? Will I be wasting my money?" 

I'm also a big fan of GTA and can't wait for the next game, however it takes me so long to get used to games these days, if at all, that I'm not sure if I'll be able to play it to a standard where it's enjoyable for me. 

Side note, on GTA 6 I'm super curious when it will come out! I didn't play Red Dead 2 but used to play a whole lot of GTA 5, both the story mode and online. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MariaNicolette
    MariaNicolette Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    @Dragonslayer gaming has no age limit. Btw the gaames you mention I assume are on PS as I can't find them for PC download on Steam (I use steam a lot especially to find free to play games)

I enjoy mostly fantasy style games that are multiplayer (MMO RPGs). And I stream online every week as of a month ago in Twitch! So anyone likes please do join me at twitch.tv/vesporav - Vespora is my gamer name!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Sounds great @MariaNicolette, what are your favourite games at the moment?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • IceyG
    IceyG Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    hey, I am a gamer and a streamer.  My uncle gave me his old Megadrive in the mid 90s, I've been a gamer ever since.  I play on Pc, Ps4, Nintendo DS, Megadrive (not my uncles old one) I stream from PC & PS4.  
    I play pretty much anything apart from horrors. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hey @IceyG

That's awesome, thanks for sharing, and welcome to the community. 

What an origin story that is for your interest in games, I used to have a Mega Drive when I was young, some classic games on there. 

Will you be trying to get a PS5 or other next gen console? And what are your favourite games at the minute?

• IceyG
    IceyG Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    yea, my fav game was Fantastic Dizzy :D 

I shall get a PS5 when they come down in price, or mine breaks xD 
    Favs at the moment are Planetside 2, Valheim, Final Fantasy 14, Gems of War, Arise, Fifa 20
  • Ross_Alumni
    Sounds good @IceyG

I managed to get a PS5, still not sure how. It's so good though. 

I never played Fantastic Dizzy :( I guess our Mega Drive had different games on it 

• MariaNicolette
    @Ross_Scope thanks for having me here Ross. 

So, I play TERA and Neverwinter, WoW also and I have just downloaded Valheim (though its not MMo its coop). MMO are not the only game I play, I just like them most. I played Trine the other day and that was fun! I played Machinarium which is totally different and loved professor Leyton too.

Anyone remember Atari?! yes, i used to play with my cousins. My first taste of gaming was Tekken and now I beat my husband at it because I have childhood experience of it. haha!

I don't have consoles. I feel there are so many devices out there and personally I don't feel I need 5 ways to play games. Though it's great that people do play many devices, its just not me.
  • MariaNicolette
    @IceyG I would love to visit your channel. You see, I would game very casually in the past but now I got into twitch streaming I have seen that I game a lot more and the domino effect has been I feel more energetic. I am interested - as a personal project - in reviewing the health effects of gaming as a therapy to us as people with health conditions and disabilities. I also support a lot of women gamers and one said 'having you here has brought me out of my shell' because she doesn't have regular visitors to her channel. I like to 'support' other gamers when they play so I don't follow huge channels with thousands of people. I look primarily for channels with less than 100 followers, and support women and people with disabilities. I would like one day to write an article about it since I am a Writer in my day job. In fact, I wrote a series of 'Game Writing Narratives' based on Raid:Shadow Legends and got them published in The Everyday Magazine. So, I think this is something I would love to go into. Don't worry I am not an academic doing reseearch or anything, I just feel its a great passion I have which I want to explore. 

I totally agree with you to try everything and anything. I am not adverse to horror games but I am already tense as it is in life so I agree I couldn't play them either. 
  • SpecGZero81
    SpecGZero81 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Ok, so who's hyped for Mass Effect Legendary Edition and Resident Evil Village?
  • SpecGZero81
    Topkitten said:
    I have been a gamer since being a teen playing arcade games to death (or it felt that way, lol!). Until I was 26 I stuck to those but then picked up a Sinclair Spectrum and have played such games until I am now 63. I went from box to box (C64, Amiga, Playstation, Sega, Xbox (original) but somewhere in between I switched to a PC to play more complex MMORPG type games I started on the Amiga. I still have an odd console or two about (including a PS3) but tend to stick mostly to games I can play slowly and comfortably considering my condition. Hence I now play OSRS (having restarted after gaining massive levels in RS3) but also play Diablo 3, World of Tanks, World of Warships and the odd dip into my old WoW characters.

TK
    Ha.

When I get to your age I will likely be exactly the same mate.

Been obsessed with computing since I was 5 years old, now I'm 40 and that hasn't changed other than perhaps being more intense now as I work in IT support and have 15-20 years corporate experience.
  • Ross_Alumni
    I've not played any of the previous games, but the new ones do look good! Are you getting them both?

• SpecGZero81
    I've not played any of the previous games, but the new ones do look good! Are you getting them both?
    Hell yeah.

Mass Effect was revolutionary and is right up my Sci-Fi nerd street.

I enjoyed RE7 so am looking forward to Village.

Dead Space also needs a remaster imo.

That was some freaky stuff.
  • SpecGZero81
    Oh.

Andromeda sucked.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hell yeah.

That would be awesome. I'm a PlayStation gamer so I would love to see the Resistance series get remastered

• SpecGZero81
    Hell yeah.

That would be awesome. I'm a PlayStation gamer so I would love to see the Resistance series get remastered
    The first console I bought with my own money two weeks into my first job was a PS1 with Fade To Black.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hell yeah.

The first console I bought with my own money two weeks into my first job was a PS1 with Fade To Black.
    PS1? Wow, that takes me back. What a classic console

• Ross_Alumni

Survey on gaming

Hello all  

Video gaming has become a much more prominent hobby for disabled people in recent years, advances in technology and the level of attention paid to making games more accessible being just a couple of the reasons why. There's never really been a better time to get involved in gaming.
    We want to gather your thoughts and experiences of playing games through a short survey, which should only take a few minutes of your time to complete.
    It is completely anonymous, and your feedback will be used to shape any future activities or content we feature on the community going forward, so it's important to have your say.

The link to the survey is here:
    Click here to be taken to the survey.

Big thanks to @Globster for helping us put this together.

Brightness