Supervision descriptor — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supervision descriptor

RebeccaBates
RebeccaBates Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi I just wondered about the awareness of danger/hazards descriptor and the fact that it says injury to self or others but doesn’t mention someone else causing you injury such as physical/sexual and or financial abuse. What they take this into account or not as the descriptor doesn’t specify it? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

The only thing I would say is pip is about how you are on a daily basis for the majority of the time 

The incidents you mention would not happen on a daily basis 

It is about you being aware of how your condition could put you in danger or others eg leaving cooker rings on.
  • RebeccaBates
    I meant the work capability assessment and not pip that’s why I put this comment in the Universal credit section 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @RebeccaBates hi and welcome to scope. I assume you are talking about a PIP application, it means injury to yourself or to others, if you are being physically/sexually or financially abused then you need to remove your self from that situation I don't mean if possible I mean immediately, can you do that?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• RebeccaBates
    No I’m not I’m talking about UC work capability assessment benefit the descriptor which says reduced awareness of everyday hazards/danger 
  • janer1967
    Sorry I didnt see that bit would still be the same it is unlikely in a work environment you would come across these risks 

Not impossible but tbh it's not something I have ever come across anybody asking about for WCA 

Hope other members can give their advice too 
  • janer1967
    It's not an everyday occurrence in my view 
  • RebeccaBates
    It’s in the community as I have a reduced awareness of my own vulnerability so I’m at risk of the 3 types of abuse Whilst I’m in the community 
  • RebeccaBates
    The thing is when I’m out in the community I need someone there to keep me safe from abuse and I go out everyday 
  • janer1967
    You are not subject to abuse every day 

I have given my opinion of course it is up to you what you put down if you feel it is valid then put it down   just saying never heard anyone else ask this 

Maybe get some advice from welfare rights 

Good luck with your assessment 
  • woodbine
    Then it has little or no bearing on either PIP or WCA, but I'm baffled and concerned as to why you are at risk of abuse whilst in the community and if you are then you should be seeking help with your issues.

• RebeccaBates
    Why has this got little or no bearing on WCA as one descriptor is solely on needing someone with you to stay safe. Also why are you concerned and baffled at why I’m at risk of abuse for in the community as I’m unaware of my own vulnerability so I need someone with me to stop the risk of that happening to me. 
  • woodbine
    Ok i'll try again, for my money this wouldn't be that relevant to WCA which is about your fitness to work, i'm concerned about you being at risk because that's the sort of person I am.

• RebeccaBates
    Oh ok I thought that requiring supervision most of the time got you in the support group. So what qualifies for this descriptor and it sort of does as I can’t be in the community at all on my own and some jobs require community work such as a factory and support worker. 
  • janer1967
    Needing support to go out is relevant but not for the reasons you are saying 

Things like without support you could get lost , have panic attacks,  cant get on transport , cant cross the road , , cant interact, cant be in large groups and so on 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to clarify @RebeccaBates: are you at risk of abuse from anyone specific, or is this a more general concern?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • RebeccaBates
    I thought the risk of being abused would be good enough as there is a risk that every time I go out I could get attacked so basically your saying they don’t care about the serious dangers that could cause serious injury 
  • RebeccaBates
    It’s a more general concern 
  • janer1967
    I really think you need to get help filling in the form as mentioned before this is about your fitness to work not about the risk of abuse . You need to understand what the descriptors are looking at yo get the best chance of an award 

I'm sorry but I dont think I can explain  it any other way so will hope other members can 

I will leave it there and wish you luck 

• RebeccaBates
    Oh ok thank you well they should be. What exactly is included then as Also I’m unable to be left in the house alone at all as I’m unable to keep myself safe as I don’t understand the dangers in the house would that put me in the support group 
  • woodbine
    I thought the risk of being abused would be good enough as there is a risk that every time I go out I could get attacked so basically your saying they don’t care about the serious dangers that could cause serious injury 
    It's a risk that everyone of us faces when we go out, but that's not a reason to be found unfit for work, sorry

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.