Corona virus - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Corona virus

Options

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cartha thank you thst was what I was trying to explain but it wasn't comeing out right I am getting used to it at my mums now but only walking now where there isn't many people but still more scary than home ?
  • cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    Options
    @lisathomas50 You probably feel less comfortable walking away from home than you do at home, anyway? I know I do. I don't do well in built up areas but I'm at ease out in the middle of nowhere in the countryside. Being worried about a virus going around makes these feelings stronger, I think.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @cartha I could go out my front door and walk and I wouldn't see anyone I sit on my bench in my front garden and be there for an hour or more reading my kindle and no one would walk past thats why here it has scared me lol 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Wales from Monday 15th hair dressers can open by appointment only  dome pupils back in school but not all untill after Easter holiday 

We can only stay local travel and shopes won't open untill April other businesses have to wait but money will be paid to keep them going 

Thry are tskeing things slow so they can see where the impact is if cases start to rise  

Wales its going to be slow 
  • cartha
    Options
    @lisathomas50 Better slow and safe, I think. A bit worried about the schools opening up already but hopefully it will be monitored properly. My daughter had one day in school last week. 

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @cartha wales closed a couple of schools in holyhead already and we had a slight rise in cases today so maybe to soon I think 
  • cartha
    Options
    @lisathomas50 I don't understand why they start with schools because they are the best place for a virus to transmit to other people then they take it home to their relatives. I suppose they think that getting children to school will get the parents back to work. A lockdown has to be done properly or the virus will keep surfacing and mutating.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are now in the great situation where half the adult population has has at least their first jab, many European countries are struggling to get 10% done, schools seem to have the situation well under control, but childrens education must be a priority as they have missed so much of it in the last year.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Precautions still have to be taken as its not 100 percent and lots of people still haven't had it and some can't have it and some have refused to have it 

I think its just a waiting game to see how it pans out 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @cartha the scientists said if they don't do it slow we will have a third wave by May  holyhead have had a rise and swansea and myther Tydfil  we will see 
  • cartha
    Options
    Israel are ahead of us in vaccinations but it seems they are yet to experience a decent effect. I suppose we need to wait about a month after vaccines are done. As for people not taking the vaccine, those of us willing to take it can only do our best to protect ourselves and our families. I think us old fogies should be the ones to be allowed to get together first, as we will be the first to be immunised. Who's up for a geriatric rave in the middle of the Welsh nowheres in a month or so? ;-)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm usually a defender of a freedom of choice in all things BUT in this I firmly believe that the vaccine should be made mandatory, i'm afraid it's the only way out of this. There is precendant for doing this Bradford in 1953 and Manchester in the early 60's with smallpox due to outbreaks, in Bradford they vaccinated 250,000 people in just 3 days (quite an achievement 68 years ago).
    There will of course be a very small number who can't have the covid jab but everybody else should be made to have it, if you stop those who refuse from going to football matches/concerts/festivals/alton towers etc, they would soon be queueing up for it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cartha
    Options
    I've now got images of @woodbine chasing anti-vaxxers with a dart gun ;-)

I would prefer people are educated into taking a vaccine than forced to take it. Being forced to take it is only going to add fuel to all the conspiracy arguments. Maybe they could add it to our water without saying anything ;-)

Even if it does turn out that a tiny percentage of people get a blood clot from taking the vaccine, wouldn't those same people be likely to be in a serious way or dead if they caught the full virus, as that is one of the things it causes?  I think some of these people with a fear of the vaccine need to decide if they would prefer a pin **** now or wait for the knife wound later.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Mike good way to explain 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @cartha my personal opinion is the virus will run its course and get to weak and then will only be a seasonal thing I don't belive it will go away and a yearly vacinstion like they do with the flu 

It's been going a year now and I belive what the scientists say but we as people can keep ourselves and our family safe  

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Mike is that the same with the flu vacination  from my understanding the common cold is a type of corona virus they havrnt found a cure for that please correct me if I am wrong 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So, yes, we do indeed need as many people as possible to get vaccinated to both reduce their likelihood of getting a severe reaction to Covid-19, & to hope these vaccinations will reduce the transmissibility of this virus. As mentioned above, we don't as yet have enough studies to indicate this as yet. Hopefully we will know more in the coming months.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Only time will tell but I think Mike explained it realy well 
  • cartha
    Options
    Over time we should live better with the virus, like we do with influenza. The main thing is to reduce the deaths. I have always had to be careful with my elderly parents, and always stayed away from them when I had a cold or something. Even myself, I was was very ill for two long years after my daughter started school. That was also around the time swine flu was doing its rounds so who knows what I was picking up. I have a few chest infections, and now when I get a cold I have to have antibiotics for my cough or it doesn't go away. I used to smoke so that may have weakened my lungs first.

Influenza is also a corona virus, yes. The only cure is to keep all humans apart until all have recovered.
  • cartha
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    So, yes, we do indeed need as many people as possible to get vaccinated to both reduce their likelihood of getting a severe reaction to Covid-19, & to hope these vaccinations will reduce the transmissibility of this virus. As mentioned above, we don't as yet have enough studies to indicate this as yet. Hopefully we will know more in the coming months.

There is a current study to see if Astra Zeneca is causing blood clots in the brain but even if it does turn out to be the cause, it happens in something like 0.001% of people taking the vaccine, so I'm guessing that tiny percentage could be prone to blood clot problems anyway and may suffer far more if they caught the virus. I know that current studies have shown a reduction in blood clots for people taking the Astra Zeneca but that is clots in the legs and lungs? From what I remember. Either way, it's a very small percentage of people so no reason for the masses to not take the vaccine.

@lisathomas50 How is your granddaughter doing now?

Brightness