Hi, my name is Lee1966! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Lee1966!

Lee1966
Lee1966 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I want to know why the green card was scrapped. Over the years it seems that the point of recognising disability has been forgotten and the green card was perfect for those with hidden disabilities. When DLA changed to the current system the criteria changed and it was taken from me. Now I'm confused and lost all the support and recognition I received. I don't care about the money and my green card never came with money. All it did was provide proof that I have a disadvantage. It was approved and acknowledged by my GP and hospital consultant. Now I refuse to claim DLA again as I don't need the money but recently had difficulty at work trying to explain an extened period off. I showed them my green card and they had no idea what it was and seemed to think I was lying. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I wasnt disabled until 4 years ago so dont know about the green card but yes aware there 8s no such thing as being registered disabled now 

Your gp could provide a letter to your employer or for you to carry around 
  • Lee1966
    I suppose my GP could but it seems a shame that now disability seems linked to money when all the green card offered was compassion and recognition. It meant I could ask for concessions such as being able to jump queues or request support shopping etc. I can't get things from the bottom shelf or stand for long without enduring progressive levels of pain. I live with my pain without complaint and when necessary accept it but I used to appreciate the courtesy and understanding that went with a green card. It was a small ask to make my life a tiny bit more comfortable. I would never dream of putting someone else out but over the years I've been made to feel guilty when I don't give up my seat on a train or when I'm having a particularly bad day, I might choose to park in a disabled bay although I gave up the orange badge many years ago. I don't want free parking, just small things that don't need to cost anything but it seems that when you live on the edge of a DLA award but choose not to accept the money then you can't get any of the other helpful benefits either and I say this because a disabled parking bay or queue jumping seems a tiny price to pay for making life a tiny bit easier for someone else. It costs nothing.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I do agree with you and you bring up a valid argument 

We are now to accept peoples disability and understand it may not be visible but  this doesnt happen in reality as apart from ignorance you dont want to explain to everyone you come across your reason for wanting a seat etc 

Will be nice to see others members views on this 
  • Swatteam
    Swatteam Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    @Lee1966 there is a website called hidden disability take a look it might help you...
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Lee1966

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. Sorry to read this situation has upset you, it's understandable though. 

Have you looked into applying for an Access Card? As a means of proving your disability and giving people an idea of the kind of support you might need. Or the DID Card.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lee1966 - I just wanted to add my welcome to the community. I hope you've had a look at Ross's suggestions, as they sound like a very helpful idea. Please let us know how you get on if you decide to try one of these. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Lee hope is all ok with you today hope your finding answers to your questions and welcome ?
  • megs2019
    megs2019 Community member Posts: 40 Connected
  • Lee1966
    This has been helpful. Thanks everyone. I'm looking at the Access card site. It looks like something trying to do something similar to the green card. Should my GP know about it or is it a new thing?
  • Lee1966
    Looking at the DID card too but that seems a bit underhand to me. Anyone in receipt of DLA or PIP should automatically receive some recognition. I'm interested in the idea of what happens to those who are on the border. To get DLA you need to have quite severe disabilities and it appears that unless they are distinct and obvious you won't get anything. My disability is not so obvious. I'm always in pain. Being in pain doesn't stop me getting on with my life but as anyone who lives with pain will tell you, the biggest disadvantage is how it effects your sleep. I'm lucky if I get 2 hours sleep before I wake up again. Fatigue is my biggest problem but it doesn't seem to be recognised as a disability because I manage to get on with my daily routines. It doesn't seem to take into account that my original trade was too physical for me and I can no longer do it and the job I do now I can't aim for promotion because it would require responsibilities that I couldn't guarantee being able to do. I've been trapped like this for years. It sounds like I'm complaining when in fact I'm actually quite content with what I do but it's annoying to think that nobody seems to recognise this situation as a disadvantage because on the surface I live a good life. Not everyone is as lucky as me. I have a science degree so my options are fairly good but I often wonder what work I'd be able to do if I had no qualifications. Manual labour is not an option.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Lee1966 said:
    This has been helpful. Thanks everyone. I'm looking at the Access card site. It looks like something trying to do something similar to the green card. Should my GP know about it or is it a new thing?

I have an Access Card, and personally believe it should be something most professionals who interact with disabled people should know about. However sadly, awareness is lacking, but it is growing steadily. 

I've found the card helpful, the little symbols on the bottom make it so you can show it to somebody and it immediately gives them an idea of the sort of help you might need.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
    Hi Lee welcome to our community.
    Sorry to hear you're having problems.
    I have no idea what an Acess card & a yellow card is?
    I will ask Ross.
    Keep us updated on your progress.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hi Lee welcome to our community.
    Sorry to hear you're having problems.
    I have no idea what an Acess card & a yellow card is?
    I will ask Ross.
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    Just to quote the answer I gave you on the other thread:

The Access Card is a card designed so that disabled people have something to identify their disability to others. It has numerous symbols on the bottom and if you are visually impaired for example, your card will have the symbol which indicates you will find seeing things difficult. It has similar symbols for most kinds of impairment.

Yellow Card is a scheme designed for people to:
    "Report suspected side effects to medicines, vaccines or medical device and diagnostic adverse incidents used in coronavirus treatment to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to ensure safe and effective use"

Find out more information here.

Brightness