carer burden - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

carer burden

2»

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I am sure child carers do get taken into care but why ? 

Is it because they are a carer or more that they are being neglected,  abused, reported by third party 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    janer1967 said:
    I know @woodbine just dont think it's appropriate on a disability website to put fear in people about child carers bring taken into care.  There are lots of members here who have their kids help them

So was trying politely to get it back on track 

@lisathomas50 please be mindful of other members 
    I agree 100%
    Via our local carers association I have campaigned for recognition of young carers, sadly so far it's not really achieved much, but we carry on in the hope we will be heard.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I apologise  I won't mention it again thats why I said its another story 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine I fully support your campaigning 

I would just like to point out I dont consider my son to be my full time carer . He helps me with a few tasks which are far less than the chores i  did for my parents at his age 

If it ever came to me needing more care that would put a burden on him and his life and education I would pay for a carer rather than let that happen 

I know not everyone is in the same position and have no alternative than to have their child as the main carer and its those children that need the recognition 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't really want to go off thread just saying when I spoke with dwp recently and was explaining my son does stuff for me, they asked what age is your son, I told them he was an adult and she said that's ok just want to make sure he's not a child. I don't know why
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I couldn't find any statistics on the number of young carers who then get taken into care themselves from an initial search, but I'm sure that this is something some children and young people experience. 

As has been pointed out, this thread was started by @pattern1991 to ask about how to reduce the potential burden on a romantic partner rather than young carers. The experience of young carers is certainly an important topic to discuss, so perhaps another thread could be opened? 

Does anyone else have experience of how to look out for a partner who takes on caring responsibilities? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness