First post! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First post!

smstratford
smstratford Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited April 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Sorry, posted the original in the wrong section!

I'm currently a medical student with rheumatoid arthritis and ADHD, I'm pretty new to chronic illness and was diagnosed around a year ago but had RA for around two years. Hoping to get to know more people on here and share experience and ways to deal with this whole journey! 

Comments

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @smstratford :)

Welcome to the community! It's great to have you with us.

We're a friendly bunch and I'm sure that you'll enjoy getting to know everyone a bit better. If you just fancy a chat about things in general, then you might want to stop by the Coffee Lounge and take a look at some of the conversations there.

Other than that, I'm sure that there will be lots of folk who would be happy to chare their own experiences of RA and ADHD, if that's something that you're looking to do - myself included, as I have psoriatic arthritis (similar to RA) and I was also diagnosed when I was an undergraduate, though that's many, many years ago now! Is there anything in particular that you wanted to ask about that?

Anyway, great to meet you! Just give us a shout if you would like any more help finding your way around :smile:
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @smstratford - welcome to the community from me too. How far have you progressed as a medical student? I hope you're enjoying your studies. I look forward to seeing you around the community, which I'm sure you'll enjoy. :)
  • smstratford
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @smstratford - welcome to the community from me too. How far have you progressed as a medical student? I hope you're enjoying your studies. I look forward to seeing you around the community, which I'm sure you'll enjoy. :)
    I absolutely love my course, first year right now though - Soon to be entering year 2. Thank you for your reply!!
  • smstratford
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the communityjaner1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community 
    Thank you so much!
  • smstratford
    Caz_Scope said:
    Hi @smstratford :)

Welcome to the community! It's great to have you with us.

We're a friendly bunch and I'm sure that you'll enjoy getting to know everyone a bit better. If you just fancy a chat about things in general, then you might want to stop by the Coffee Lounge and take a look at some of the conversations there.

Other than that, I'm sure that there will be lots of folk who would be happy to chare their own experiences of RA and ADHD, if that's something that you're looking to do - myself included, as I have psoriatic arthritis (similar to RA) and I was also diagnosed when I was an undergraduate, though that's many, many years ago now! Is there anything in particular that you wanted to ask about that?

Anyway, great to meet you! Just give us a shout if you would like any more help finding your way around :smile:
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome, I'll take a look over there - It's nice to have somewhere to find other people who understand the struggles! I hope you're doing well with your PsA treatment! If it's not too personal, what medication are you taking right now and for how long? :-) 
  • son_hawley
    son_hawley Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    I have a recent diagnosis of Combined ADHD xxx
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    You're very welcome for the warm welcome @smstratford :)

No, I don't mind you asking about my medication - and it's definitely not too personal a question for me to answer!

To be honest, it's probably a pretty standard response from me! Methotrexate at 25mg, but delivered by injection rather than in tablet form. I've been on the injections for about 12 months now. Previously it was just in tablet form, but the fatigue was getting to me so it was suggested that injections might help tackle that. Plus sometimes I get a steroid jab thrown in for good measure :)

How about yourself? Are you getting the support you need from your rheumatology team? And have you managed to get a good treatment regime going, or is that something that you're still working at? 

Also, how are you getting on with your medical training? That must be tough going, especially at the moment? Hope that the studies are going well :smiley:
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @smstratford :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness