Hello, my name is Caley — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello, my name is Caley

Caley
Caley Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi, I've just been signposted to the forums by a brilliant advisor on the helpline, so I thought I'd sign up and see what it's all about.
I'm in my 50's, married and we have 4 kids (2 adults and 2 older teens) between us.
Hubby and I are both disabled and both have arthritis and impaired mobility, among other things, but still love to get out and about in our accessible van with our mobility scooters, mainly going on holiday to remote areas of Scotland for the scenery, wildlife and peace and quiet, though we didn't get very far last year with the covid-19 situation and hoping we'll be able to make up for it this summer.
We're also dog lovers but lost our little travelling companion last year when our beloved staffie passed away from old age after going everywhere with us, so our next trip away will be very strange without her.
Hoping to be able to chat with like-minded people, I'm not sure if it's just me that's noticed, but it seems that there's so much more bias and discrimination against disabled people these days both from people in general and from the very systems that are supposed to be there to help.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community and for telling us about yourself 

Feel free to join in or ask any questions you might find our coffee lounge and recent discussions a good place to start 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Caley - welcome to this friendly community. Thank you for joining & sharing about your family. Do please join in with any discussions of interest; it's always interesting to see other peoples' opinions. The 'Coffee lounge' Jane mentions is where we have more light-hearted discussions & word games, & is certainly a good place to meet other members. I'm sure you'll enjoy the group, & look forward to seeing you on the forum. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @caley and welcome to our online community, it's great to meet you and thanks for telling us some more about yourself :)

Your exploration of the remote parts of Scotland sounds idyllic.  We had a thread about accessible walks/wheels that you might like to read and I have my fingers crossed you get to have more adventures this summer. 

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved staffie and can really empathise, I lost Frank my old cat around a month ago and it's taking some getting used to  <3  We always have our memories don't we?  And the love and good times they gave us will always be.  

As mentioned, please do make yourself at home - be it by visiting our recent discussions or joining in the fun chats in our virtual coffee lounge.  I'm looking forward to speaking more.  Have a lovely weekend and take care. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness