Confused about backdated payments ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused about backdated payments ?

Options
Dazraz
Dazraz Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi i have been reading about the possible backdated payments and am wondering if i come in to this catagory - before 2016 i was recieving the standard rate mobility and when it changed over to pip from dla it stopped but my circumstances had not changed . Recently i have had my pip renewed and now im getting the standard rate mobility again - my question is because of this do i fall in to the catagory where i would be entitled to back payment from 2016 ?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @Dazraz and welcome to scope, how are you this evening? I think the simple answer to your question is no, if i'm right in thinking what you are referring to then as you weren't getting PIP mobility then it doesn't apply it was only those who were getting it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dazraz
    Options
    woodbine said:
    hi @Dazraz and welcome to scope, how are you this evening? I think the simple answer to your question is no, if i'm right in thinking what you are referring to then as you weren't getting PIP mobility then it doesn't apply it was only those who were getting it.

I moved from dla to pip in 2016 and before i moved to pip i was getting it, then it stopped when pip was introduced and now a few days ago i had my case reviewed and now then have given it back to me - i was reading that anyone who has npw been given standard mobility may be entitled ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds I know you have some knowledge around this if you can help 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dazraz - & welcome to the community. Thank you for the tag @janer1967 .  The fact that you were awarded a rate of mobility with your DLA doesn't mean you would necessarily be awarded either the standard or enhanced rate of PIP, unfortunately, as they have different criteria.
    There was a change to PIP law in 2019 which meant that some people with 'overwhelming psychological distress' might be awarded the standard rate of mobility/have their award increased to enhanced, looking at the activity about planning & following a journey (which is totally separate to those having physical difficulties). This for those possibly affected by this descriptor going back to 28 November 2016. So, sorry, I don't think this will apply to you. There's a link here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016
  • Dazraz
    Options
    My claim was renewed 3 years ago but standard mobility was not applied does this change anything and thanks for you help 
  • Dazraz
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Dazraz - & welcome to the community. Thank you for the tag @janer1967 .  The fact that you were awarded a rate of mobility with your DLA doesn't mean you would necessarily be awarded either the standard or enhanced rate of PIP, unfortunately, as they have different criteria.
    There was a change to PIP law in 2019 which meant that some people with 'overwhelming psychological distress' might be awarded the standard rate of mobility/have their award increased to enhanced, looking at the activity about planning & following a journey (which is totally separate to those having physical difficulties). This for those possibly affected by this descriptor going back to 28 November 2016. So, sorry, I don't think this will apply to you. There's a link here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016

My claim was renewed 3 years ago but standard mobility was not applied does this change anything and thanks for you help 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Sorry, this potential 'back payment' just relates to some people receiving PIP from 28 November 2016, & only with certain criteria as I mentioned above.
    As you say that before 2016 you were getting DLA, not PIP, this doesn't apply to you. Moving from DLA to PIP isn't a renewal, rather what's termed a migration. Getting the lower rate of DLA for the mobility component doesn't mean that this is equivalent to getting the standard rate of mobility of PIP as they are 2 different benefits. So, no, you don't qualify for any back payment.
  • Dazraz
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Sorry, this potential 'back payment' just relates to some people receiving PIP from 28 November 2016, & only with certain criteria as I mentioned above.
    As you say that before 2016 you were getting DLA, not PIP, this doesn't apply to you. Moving from DLA to PIP isn't a renewal, rather what's termed a migration. Getting the lower rate of DLA for the mobility component doesn't mean that this is equivalent to getting the standard rate of mobility of PIP as they are 2 different benefits. So, no, you don't qualify for any back payment.

Ok i understand now sorry if im coming over a bit slow - i have trouble understanding stuff but you have now explained it so i can understand :)
  • chiarieds
    Options
    You're welcome @Dazraz - no worries, sorry I didn't explain it clearly at first, but so long as you understand it now. Benefits can be quite complicated! :)
  • Dazraz
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    You're welcome @Dazraz - no worries, sorry I didn't explain it clearly at first, but so long as you understand it now. Benefits can be quite complicated! :)

i did write a letter to the pip asking if i was  entitled but now im hoping this wont effect my latest award and decision and thanks again
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Dazraz no reason it will affect your latest award decision.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alun99
    Alun99 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Can you explain it to me I was on theDLAbeforepipso can you do I apply to
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Alun99 said:
    Can you explain it to me I was on theDLAbeforepipso can you do I apply to

I don't understand your question. Your thread here mentions being backdated to 2016 (see thread) https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/102215/pip-pip-outdated-mental-health-getting-back-dated#latest You also have another thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/102207/hi-my-name-is-alun99#latest
    None of your questions make any sense and it's difficult to understand exactly what you're asking. Can you give more information please.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.