PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Confused about backdated payments ?

DazrazDazraz Member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi i have been reading about the possible backdated payments and am wondering if i come in to this catagory - before 2016 i was recieving the standard rate mobility and when it changed over to pip from dla it stopped but my circumstances had not changed . Recently i have had my pip renewed and now im getting the standard rate mobility again - my question is because of this do i fall in to the catagory where i would be entitled to back payment from 2016 ?

Replies

  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,775 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @Dazraz and welcome to scope, how are you this evening? I think the simple answer to your question is no, if i'm right in thinking what you are referring to then as you weren't getting PIP mobility then it doesn't apply it was only those who were getting it.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • DazrazDazraz Member Posts: 6 Listener
    woodbine said:
    hi @Dazraz and welcome to scope, how are you this evening? I think the simple answer to your question is no, if i'm right in thinking what you are referring to then as you weren't getting PIP mobility then it doesn't apply it was only those who were getting it.

    I moved from dla to pip in 2016 and before i moved to pip i was getting it, then it stopped when pip was introduced and now a few days ago i had my case reviewed and now then have given it back to me - i was reading that anyone who has npw been given standard mobility may be entitled ?
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,210 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds I know you have some knowledge around this if you can help 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dazraz - & welcome to the community. Thank you for the tag @janer1967 .  The fact that you were awarded a rate of mobility with your DLA doesn't mean you would necessarily be awarded either the standard or enhanced rate of PIP, unfortunately, as they have different criteria.
    There was a change to PIP law in 2019 which meant that some people with 'overwhelming psychological distress' might be awarded the standard rate of mobility/have their award increased to enhanced, looking at the activity about planning & following a journey (which is totally separate to those having physical difficulties). This for those possibly affected by this descriptor going back to 28 November 2016. So, sorry, I don't think this will apply to you. There's a link here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016
  • DazrazDazraz Member Posts: 6 Listener
    My claim was renewed 3 years ago but standard mobility was not applied does this change anything and thanks for you help 
  • DazrazDazraz Member Posts: 6 Listener
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Dazraz - & welcome to the community. Thank you for the tag @janer1967 .  The fact that you were awarded a rate of mobility with your DLA doesn't mean you would necessarily be awarded either the standard or enhanced rate of PIP, unfortunately, as they have different criteria.
    There was a change to PIP law in 2019 which meant that some people with 'overwhelming psychological distress' might be awarded the standard rate of mobility/have their award increased to enhanced, looking at the activity about planning & following a journey (which is totally separate to those having physical difficulties). This for those possibly affected by this descriptor going back to 28 November 2016. So, sorry, I don't think this will apply to you. There's a link here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016

    My claim was renewed 3 years ago but standard mobility was not applied does this change anything and thanks for you help 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry, this potential 'back payment' just relates to some people receiving PIP from 28 November 2016, & only with certain criteria as I mentioned above.
    As you say that before 2016 you were getting DLA, not PIP, this doesn't apply to you. Moving from DLA to PIP isn't a renewal, rather what's termed a migration. Getting the lower rate of DLA for the mobility component doesn't mean that this is equivalent to getting the standard rate of mobility of PIP as they are 2 different benefits. So, no, you don't qualify for any back payment.
  • DazrazDazraz Member Posts: 6 Listener
    chiarieds said:
    Sorry, this potential 'back payment' just relates to some people receiving PIP from 28 November 2016, & only with certain criteria as I mentioned above.
    As you say that before 2016 you were getting DLA, not PIP, this doesn't apply to you. Moving from DLA to PIP isn't a renewal, rather what's termed a migration. Getting the lower rate of DLA for the mobility component doesn't mean that this is equivalent to getting the standard rate of mobility of PIP as they are 2 different benefits. So, no, you don't qualify for any back payment.

    Ok i understand now sorry if im coming over a bit slow - i have trouble understanding stuff but you have now explained it so i can understand :)
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,018 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome @Dazraz - no worries, sorry I didn't explain it clearly at first, but so long as you understand it now. Benefits can be quite complicated! :)
  • DazrazDazraz Member Posts: 6 Listener
    chiarieds said:
    You're welcome @Dazraz - no worries, sorry I didn't explain it clearly at first, but so long as you understand it now. Benefits can be quite complicated! :)

    i did write a letter to the pip asking if i was  entitled but now im hoping this wont effect my latest award and decision and thanks again
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,775 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dazraz no reason it will affect your latest award decision.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
Sign in or join us to comment.