Hi, my name is Buzzardlegs! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Buzzardlegs!

Options
Buzzardlegs
Buzzardlegs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I’m new to this community having in the last 2 years experiencing my health rapidly decline to being mostly chair bound needing a wheelchair and being in constant pain. I’m struggling mentally as well as physically and am finding it difficult to see my life past the pain and mobility restraints. I feel embarrassed awkward and lost. I hope to learn how to get the best advice about how to live this life in a body that feels like a prison. Thanks buzzardlegs x

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,987 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Buzzardlegs welcome to the forum, sorry to read how you feel,  have you spoke to your drs about different pain relief and have you spoke to them about your mental health? There are organisations you can  reach out to like, mind, samaitarans and scope have a help line too. 
    Lots of people who can interact with you about simular experiences. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I am sorry about how you feel and can totally empathise 

Getting used to being disabled is similar to grieving process you grieve for the things you have lost 

Staying positive isn't easy but you need to try and think what you do have 

Set yourself goals each day 

Just because you are in a wheelchair so am I doesn't mean you can't get out 

Talk to your doctors also get a care needs assessment you can refer yourself through gov website they will assess you for any aids or adaptions 

Council also have mobility advisers 

Have you had any physio 

There are lots of options out there to help you 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Buzzardlegs and a warm welcome to our online community. I'm glad you found us :)

I'm sorry things are so tough for you at the moment.  What support are you getting with your physical and mental health?  And, how are you coping do you think?  I understand it's difficult but there's no need to be embarrassed; many of our members are disabled too so we empathise with the feelings you describe.  It's really hard and speaking to other people can make such a difference.  

If you want to self-refer for a free needs assessment from your local authority, as @janer1967 touched on, then you can do so via this government link.  Needs assessments help your council determine what support would enhance your daily living, and some example recommendations are:
    • equipment like a walking frame or personal alarm
    • changes to your home such as a walk-in shower
    • practical help from a paid carer
    • day care for your child if either you or they are disabled
    • access to day centres and lunch clubs
    So, maybe give this some thought.

If you want to connect with others, then our online community is here 24/7 too.  You might want to look at our virtual coffee lounge to see what light-hearted stuff has got us talking, or our recent discussions to see more of a variety of topics.  

I hope you are having a nice relaxing bank holiday weekend and speak soon.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Buzzardle - I'm just adding my welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry you're finding things difficult at the moment, but this will pass. You may have to find ways of doing things differently, but most things are possible, so try to find the things you can do, rather than those you cannot. Do accept any help you're offered that will make things easier for you.
    You will find a lot of understanding here, so do please chat any time, as that too helps. Please let us know how you get on. :)
  • 22Putney
    22Putney Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Thank you I will keep going and find the site very interesting.
  • Buzzardlegs
    Buzzardlegs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    What a warm welcome ☺️ Thankyou so much everyone. I will take all your advice and suggestions on board. It a refreshing change to be able to talk to ones who “ get it” . 
    I’m having physio over the phone with the pain clinic which has had some benefits in keeping moving as much as I’m able. I’ve had CBT and they said I’m doing all the things they would be advising which is good. I know I need to get out in nature which has a real lifting to my mood. I’ve had depression and anxiety for 25 years unfortunately. I hope I can look ahead rather than morn what’s behind. I need to find information on places to go where it has good facilities for the wheelchair. I’m miss hiking so much . Thankyou everyone for all your encouragement. You’ve really lifted me . 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Buzzardlegs - good to hear back from you. I'm pleased to read you're getting help from a physio (I might be a bit biased as I am a physio, tho haven't worked as such for a long time). Yes, please do keep on moving, I know the benefits of this from both sides of the fence so to speak, as I now do the exercises I used to teach. It helps, & also exercising makes you feel that bit better mentally. I have chronic daily pain so appreciate your struggles. As well as exercise, I find that other modalities work, but, as we're all different, it's finding what works for you, & often it seems to be a combination of things that is most effective.
    I agree with you also in getting out in nature, for me even getting out in my small garden helps, & growing vegetables & flowers. Anything that distracts from pain. or lifts your mood is good. I look forward to hearing from you again.
    Just to add, are you looking for wheelchair friendly holidays, days out, or just something in general?

Brightness