Esa new style — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa new style

kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
Do I have to make a new claim to esa new style if i was in Esa support group previously and no gap in between claims just moving onto UC??? I'm confused 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    From your previous threads you have said that you have already been told by DWP that you have been converted to new style ESA.

Any entitlement to income based ESA ended two weeks after you claimed UC.
    If your previous ESA award was income based ESA only you would not meet the NI conditions to qualify for new style ESA.
    Any contribution based ESA entitlement you previously had will continue will now be treated as new style ESA. You do not have to claim for this to happen.
    Getting new style ESA as well as UC does not increase your overall income because it is deducted from UC but does mean that you get Class 1 NI credits and fortnightly ESA payments alongside monthly UC payments.

See 
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79667/recently-moved-onto-uc-what-is-new-style-esa-when-will-i-get-my-payment#latest
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79706/new-style-esa#latest

Did you ring them today to find out when you will get your next ESA payment?
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79863/new-style-esa#latest

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kami24
    I was on support group esa income based as i didn't work but they say new style on uc journal statement thing 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    kami24 said:
    I was on support group esa income based as i didn't work but they say new style on uc journal statement thing 
    Kami, the answer remains the same. If your previous ESA was a mix of contribution based and income based entitlement then when you claimed UC the income based entitlement ended and the contribution based part changed to come under new style ESA rules.

You will be paid £228.20 every fortnight for the ESA and you will see a deduction for this of £494.43/month on your UC statements.

Did you ring them today to find out when you will get your next ESA payment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kami24
    I couldn't get z through afzer 58 minutes i have given up
  • calcotti
    kami24 said:
    I couldn't get z through afzer 58 minutes i have given up
    I can understand that - it is ridiculous and not fit for purpose. Sometimes better if you ring first thing in the morning if you can mange that tomorrow.
  • kami24
    Thanks i will try again but at the moment i think it's beyond mad because it was over 1 hr 20 minutes when i tried ringing friday!! 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    For obvious reasons things are not as they should be and getting through to anyone on the telephone is difficult, today I phoned the doctors after 20 minutes I was still # 11 in the queue.
    As above try first thing in the morning when less busy.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kami24
    Thanks feeling down at the moment and confused 
  • kami24
    Rang esa finally got through to them on the phone this morning was a bit shorter (38 minutes 48 secs) and they explained to me i will still be paid every 2 weeks and my next payment is friday so that's great same day as before etc so I'm feeling relieved
  • kami24
    Thanks for your advice etc
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    In this thread
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79863/when-will-be-new-style-esa-be-paid#latest
    you said you hadn't received a payment on your usual day. Have you now had that payment?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    kami24 said:
    Thanks feeling down at the moment and confused 
    I'm sorry to read this and that you didn't get a response. How do you feel at the minute? Did the call today help you feel better?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • kami24
    Payment Friday of the less amount because uc like you said but now i know i feel better

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.