Nothing in Queens Speach for the disabled. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nothing in Queens Speach for the disabled.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
Following the Queens speech today and nothing in it about any help for the majority of  disabled people!  No extra help as we come out of covid, nothing about social housing for the disabled or anyone else, 
The long awaited social care bill has been put back yet again, so nothing new there either. This is just a post to keep everyone updated so please don't turn it into another post that ends up being closed. Thank you.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Very sad on all counts @givingup

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    In respect though she can’t be expected to talk about everything or she would be there all day.,
  • [Deleted User]
    MarkN88, I know, but I've gone through it in detail on the internet. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It must have been difficult for the Queen her first major event since Philip died, as for what was in the speech it must be difficult, so much will be reliant on the speed of our recovery post covid, I doubt they could afford to commit billions of £ on social care reform whilst we are in debt over our heads to the tune of £2.2 trillion.
    The govt does seem committed to evening things up between north and south which is an admiral goal, lets see how well they do on that.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I think you you have missed my point though. Whether it’s a speech on the television or printed details on the internet. They can’t be expected to cover every single possible topic or area that might need addressing in the foreseeable future. It’s unrealistic. 

Is there a particular area concerning you that you need assistance with? 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2021
    Nothing personally I haven't detailed before in other posts, but thanks for asking MarkN88.
    Almost forgot, at the end of the BBC thread it asked if I wanted to ask any questions of the prime minister and I put forward a few regarding the disabled.
    But, obviously, they will get endless thousands so I doubt it will get a mention.
    Woodbine, not going to get into any conflict with you but the government have had over 11 years before covid struck and they still haven't addressed the north/south divide , an admirable goal as you said , but actions speak louder than words especially in politics. Cheers.
  • woodbine
    @givingup I see no reason for any conflict, i'm sure we are all adult enough to discuss these matters in a non confrontational way.
    The north south divide has been in place for decades now.

• [Deleted User]
    Woodbine. Yes indeed it has and it should of gone years ago.
    In 2021 we shouldn't even have to discuss it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    It was expected by most people  I think I won't put my thoughts lol 
  • [Deleted User]
    lisathomas50 I understand
  • Lisatho11987777
    Whatever the Queen says in her speech is up to the government  boris Johnson sat with Barbra Windsor and said things would change with dementia  and social care so what is expected ??
  • woodbine
    Social care is a problem, has been a problem for years and will continue to be. That's the obvious statement, I suppose almost the only way forward is going to be a Royal commision but they take forever to conclude and report.
    The less obvious problem mainly because people are reluctant to speak about it is the fact that people in a position to pay for care should be made to pay for it but never seem to want to.
    In the last few months of his life my dad had 2 carers 4 times a day and was paying £00's a month for the pleasure but he had the money and could afford it.
    The rich have this attitude that the poor should have saved all their working lives to pay for such care, as if the poor could do that.
    So what's the answer? of course we all know that but it's a solution that we must not speak it's name, so I'll say it quietly...higher taxes.Simples

• Lisatho11987777
    I totally agree about its not that people don't want to pay for care they can't afford to pay for care  any money or property which belongs to a person needing care would be sold to pay for that care until the funds ran out 

So all the money the homes that they thought could be left to their children would be all gone some care homes charge nearly two thousand a week  and to have carers is up to a thousand pound a week depending on how many times a day you want the carer to go in and what you need them to do 

If you have no money and don't own your own home then you get it largely for free depending on how much pension you get you still have to pay up to 300.00 a week out of your pension 

My mum always said your better off without money and without your own home because you get more help 

Most people work hard all their life but still live in poverty even in this day and age we do have free medical treatment  imagine if we didn't and in wales we have free prescriptions everyone which I am also grateful for 

In my own opinion and it is just my opinion the only people who look after us is ourselves  and we have to try and make the best of what we got and as the old saying goes live within your means  cut your cloth accordingly 

My parents age group didn't get benefits they had to work they had no choice  but money was worth more back then my mum and dad brought their house for under two thousand pound you can't even buy a new car for that much you might just get 3months rent 

Life is what it is 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for starting this thread @givingup Disability is often a glaring omission on political agendas sadly - for many of the reasons Mike surmised - and much work remains to be done to reverse this status quo.  We see daily on the community how disabled people are struggling across all aspects of life, with a welfare system intended as a safety net to cover only the most basic needs.

The Social Market Foundation recently did some research around recommendations for the welfare green paper, supported by Scope, and you might want to read the report produced: Time to think again: disability benefits and support after covid-19.

While for those who didn't catch the Queen's Speech, here's a transcript
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    My MIL is in a care home (serious dementia) the fees are around £550 a week, and she has to pay £201 of that from her state pension which is £224, allowed to keep just £23 a week for personal items.
    @lisathomas50 benefits were avaliable back when we were kids, family allowance, Family Income Supplement (FIS) to name just two. We paid £11k for our first house in 1980 but that was half of our joint income at the time, but interest rates were 6 or 7 x what they are today.

• Lisatho11987777
    My mum is 84 she brought her house a long time ago my mum was born in the war there were no benefits then 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Sorry better put that properly my mum was born in 1936  there were no benefits back then and I was born in 1963  mum brought her house in the 1950s  550 a week is cheap for a care home my mum pays 800 to have carers comeing n to help my brother and she pays 350.00 a week to go to day center and 200.00 for one over night care she has dementia 
  • woodbine
    The welfare state didn't start really until 1948

• Lisatho11987777
    Mike I didn't say you get it free I said largely free as I know you have to pay out your pension 

What I am trying to say is if your a home owner and have lots of money that you have worked for all your life that all gets swallowed up to pay for care if you need it you don't get any help or any reductions 

I have seen people break there heart because they had to sell their house to pay for care because the money they had ran out people save and buy property to pass on to family but now you get t penalised for owning your home and got savings  
  • [Deleted User]
    I understand what everyone's saying but I have hardly any saving so I can't get a mortgage to get on the property ladder, I'm too old now anyway, so I have no choice but to rent. At the moment I'm able to rent privately but now the owners will be selling I'll have to look for something in social housing.
    But while I've been renting privately and the owners are retiring and there is no mortgage on the property if either of them have to go into a home in the future , the rent I've paid will go towards that.
    That's how I look at it personally.

Brightness