Nothing in Queens Speach for the disabled. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nothing in Queens Speach for the disabled.

2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @givingup have you claimed LHA or UC to pay the rent?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    woodbine said:
    @givingup have you claimed LHA or UC to pay the rent?
    Sorry if these seems like quibbling, but people don't claim LHA. They claim UC (with a few exceptions) if working age or Housing Benefit if pension age. The LHA sets the maximum amount of help available (through either of these) for people renting in the private sector.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Yes sorry calcotti you are perfectly correct, I was in a clumsy way trying to make a different point.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I worked in care for 30 years and I was a care manager I only left last year due to me haveing corona virus I have also worked for the care inspectorate for wales  most people now sign over their capital while they still have capacity to do so  and their homes the loop hole is if you need care in the 7 year period of being clear then your home can still be used as capital to pay for your care 

Some people try and get their parents to sign their home over after capacity has been list so then it can't be done my mum signed everything over to me and my brother 12 years ago after my father died  my mum has got dementia now she has had it six years so we were ok my mum now lives with my brother and I have her to give my brother  a rest 

Since care went private prices shot up  that will never change  yes people lose most of their pensions and as you rightly say any benefits that may be getting but not everyone gets other benefits 

Most people are left with a small amount for personal items unless they have home care which is different and most people opt for these days 

The cost of care will always be high  but the quality of care and help you can get to pay for care can be changed  by campaigning and lobbying to the government which I do Boris Johnson said to Barbra Windsor he  would change and put in help for social care  then came the pandemic will it ever change probably not but we can carry on trying 

The social services tell you if you have a home and you have  savings snd private pension thst you have to much money to apply for help with costs of care because if if you run out of money the house can be sold to cover the cost of your care 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Doesn't signing everything over to someone else though get classed as deprivation of capital?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    As long as you sign over whilst you have capacity  and don't receive any care in the seven year period  even on pension or benefits you have to pay a contribution  the money will still be used for care but you wouldn't have to to sell your house 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50

I don't believe there is a fixed seven year period in which you would be responsible for contributing towards care after signing over your property.  Unless, you have an official link?

Rather, a decision about deprivation of assets would be based on a standard of reasonableness.  For instance: when you transferred your home (irrespective of time), was there a reasonable expectation of the need for care and support in the future?

This Age UK Deprivation of Assets info states:
    What if I gave my money or home away a long time ago?
    The timing is important. The council will look at when you reduced your assets and see if, at the time, you could reasonably expect that you would need care and support. The local authority must decide based on all the case facts and clear reasons, which could be challenged.
    If you were fit and healthy, and could not have imagined needing care and support at the time, then it may not count as deprivation of assets.
    Paying for care is a very complicated and complex issue and I'd advise anyone considering taking action to seek legal advice before doing so to keep protected.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As referenced by Cher AgeUK have very detailed Fact Sheets dealing with all aspects of care and care funding.
    Age UK factsheets and information guides | Age UK
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    As long as you sign over whilst you have capacity  and don't receive any care in the seven year period  even on pension or benefits you have to pay a contribution  the money will still be used for care but you wouldn't have to to sell your house 
    You are confusing what you can gift cash wise, if you sign over your property it's a potential for all manner of problems, and could be seen as DOC

• MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    You are confusing what you can gift cash wise, if you sign over your property it's a potential for all manner of problems, and could be seen as DOC
    I thought that was the case. 

An older neighbour of mine years ago thought it would be better to sign her house over to her daughter and then the council got involved when it came to care and I’m sure it affected the outcome. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    With gifts, the 7 year 'rule' doesn't necessarily apply if it wouldn't have any relevance for Inheritance Tax in the future, i.e. if the monies you gift + your estate don't exceed £325k (currently). I know because I told my children they'd really have to look after me for 7 years after I was going to give them some monies, then was advised by my solicitor that this didn't apply! :o I 'think' they will still look after me tho, as I still have my uses. :)
    More info about care homes & deprivation of assets: https://helpandadvice.co.uk/avoiding-care-home-fees/#
  • woodbine
    @MarkN88 A neighbour of my late parents some 10 years ago signed their property over to their daughter to avoid care charges (if they ever needed to go into a care home) three years later they had a monumental falling out and the daughter evicted them from "her" property.
    It has its dangers.

• MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    @MarkN88 A neighbour of my late parents some 10 years ago signed their property over to their daughter to avoid care charges (if they ever needed to go into a care home) three years later they had a monumental falling out and the daughter evicted them from "her" property.
    It has its dangers.
    Yes it’s a complicated area. 

Brightness