What is Moderate Learning Difficulties? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is Moderate Learning Difficulties?

Options
Artistic_Mew21
Artistic_Mew21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
When I started school, teachers noticed I was not picking up on things and my classmates. I was not at the level expected of someone my age with reading and writing. I was diagnosed with Moderate Learning Difficulties. I have never seen any posts about MLD on Instagram or Twitter. I haven't heard of anyone talk about it. Not even the teachers talked about it to me while I was at school, I tried googling it, but there's not much there. It was hard to describe it to the people at the PIP assessment as I don't even understand my own disability. What is moderate learning difficulties? What effects does it have on a person? Does it mean you're forgetful, have difficulty focusing on tasks?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Artistic_Mew21 - welcome to the community & thank you for joining. :)  I imagine Moderate Learning Difficulties are somewhere in the middle between mild, & severe. Like many other problems, each individual will be different.
    As far as your PIP assessment goes, I wouldn't worry. PIP isn't about your diagnosis, rather the effect it has on you. It could mean a person with MLD might be slower to understand some things, or, as you mention they might have difficulty focusing on a task. So long as you said just how you are, that's all a person can do.
    Your username says 'artistic,' so is art something you're interested in? If so, you might like to have a look at our thread on art (& hobbies). See: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/41283/kaleidoscope-our-own-gallery-for-members-art-work-crafts-and-photographs#latest

• Artistic_Mew21
    Artistic_Mew21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Thank you, yeah I guess it depends on the person. 
    Yeah, there was always a list of things I struggled with in educational places, the PIP was an example of how awkward it was when I was asked about it and I had no idea what to say. I sometimes get distracted, as I've gotten older my concentration span has shortened, often forget about things and need help from tutors to do the work like today when I was screen printing in the uni art studio. I sometimes misunderstand what the tutors are asking me to do for an assignment. 

Yeah, I am an illustrator, currently working on an Illustration and Design degree, that's cool I'll have a read. :) 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you're enjoying your degree course @Artistic_Mew21 - that sounds really interesting. My eldest grandchild has nearly completed a year's Graphic Design course after doing a BTEC in Art & Design. Middle grandchild has nearly finished their first year 6th form photography course. I like art, but thankfully my grandchildren have the artistic talent I lack. :)
    Perhaps you may show us the sort of illustrations you do in the 'Kaleidoscope' link. If you hover over the symbols above a message, you will see one which comes up with 'Attach image.'

Brightness