What is Moderate Learning Difficulties? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is Moderate Learning Difficulties?

Options
Artistic_Mew21
Artistic_Mew21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
When I started school, teachers noticed I was not picking up on things and my classmates. I was not at the level expected of someone my age with reading and writing. I was diagnosed with Moderate Learning Difficulties. I have never seen any posts about MLD on Instagram or Twitter. I haven't heard of anyone talk about it. Not even the teachers talked about it to me while I was at school, I tried googling it, but there's not much there. It was hard to describe it to the people at the PIP assessment as I don't even understand my own disability. What is moderate learning difficulties? What effects does it have on a person? Does it mean you're forgetful, have difficulty focusing on tasks?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Artistic_Mew21 - welcome to the community & thank you for joining. :)  I imagine Moderate Learning Difficulties are somewhere in the middle between mild, & severe. Like many other problems, each individual will be different.
    As far as your PIP assessment goes, I wouldn't worry. PIP isn't about your diagnosis, rather the effect it has on you. It could mean a person with MLD might be slower to understand some things, or, as you mention they might have difficulty focusing on a task. So long as you said just how you are, that's all a person can do.
    Your username says 'artistic,' so is art something you're interested in? If so, you might like to have a look at our thread on art (& hobbies). See: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/41283/kaleidoscope-our-own-gallery-for-members-art-work-crafts-and-photographs#latest

• Artistic_Mew21
    Artistic_Mew21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Thank you, yeah I guess it depends on the person. 
    Yeah, there was always a list of things I struggled with in educational places, the PIP was an example of how awkward it was when I was asked about it and I had no idea what to say. I sometimes get distracted, as I've gotten older my concentration span has shortened, often forget about things and need help from tutors to do the work like today when I was screen printing in the uni art studio. I sometimes misunderstand what the tutors are asking me to do for an assignment. 

Yeah, I am an illustrator, currently working on an Illustration and Design degree, that's cool I'll have a read. :) 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you're enjoying your degree course @Artistic_Mew21 - that sounds really interesting. My eldest grandchild has nearly completed a year's Graphic Design course after doing a BTEC in Art & Design. Middle grandchild has nearly finished their first year 6th form photography course. I like art, but thankfully my grandchildren have the artistic talent I lack. :)
    Perhaps you may show us the sort of illustrations you do in the 'Kaleidoscope' link. If you hover over the symbols above a message, you will see one which comes up with 'Attach image.'

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.