Wish I was well enough to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wish I was well enough to work

Options
cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,288 Pioneering
I feel like My mental illness and medication Will mean I can never work again that’s how I feel . I’m blessed that my partner has a good job and he pay the bills he only wants me to rest and get better but I just want to work my nurse said I need to come to terms with my mental illness and my limitations but I struggle to accept my mental illness. 

Also there’s always that thought in the back of my head that no one will hire me any way with my mental illness . My nurse was saying I need to avoid all stresses because I could end up back into hospital if I’m in crisis again . 

I’m still traumatised from being in hospital felt like I was in jail . I hope don’t go into crisis again but it’s always a thought in the back of my head . 

I would like to do like a little cleaning job in the future . But I just don’t see my self ever getting better . 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will get better but it will take time 

Think of getting better and the good things you have in your life 

Having such a good partner is a lot more than others have and you should gain strength from that 

Work is something you can think of further down the line its not a priority at present 
    .take cars and keep talking to people 
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks for your kind words your right . My partner says I should be resting and not thinking bout working . But I just feel like I’m never going to get better which scares me . 

My nurse says all the time that I don’t realise how Ill iam mentally . I do realise I’m not well but I always wanna push my self I’m never one to just relax . 

The side effect medication seems to be helping which is good . X 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't really see why you couldn't do a cleaning job in future...  Something like a small shop or domestic cleaning for one or two households.  Doing lots of hours for an agency or a large office block might be too much stress but that's for you and the nurse to decide.  :)

I'm another that can't relax...  I hate the phrase 'just relax & concentrate on getting better'...  I just get so bored and restless and all of that time unoccupied is time that the anxiety & OCD take over.  The only way I make any progress myself is to keep doing things, but it's such a thin line between doing enough to help, and doing too much and making things worse.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mum suffered realy bad with her mental health when she was younger she kept haveing what the dr called then physcotic  breaks  she got a cleaning job for a lady who lived not far from us 4hrs a week over two days 

She did that for a few months to build her confidence and not to cause to much stress then she found a job that was 12 hrs and eventually then worked 16hrs  and she worked until she retired 

My mum used to do yoga as well and then taught yoga one evening a week 

As your nurse says  you don't realise how bad your mental health is  give it a bit longer and take small steps see if you can find a small job maybe try voluntary work a couple of hours a week 

You need to accept and come to terms with your condition so that you know what your limits I don't know if you have it in England  but in wales we have what is called out work  the one I did was was putting straps on watches I started off with doing one box a week and as I got more confident I did two boxes a week 

Hope that you will carry on getting stronger and be able to do a small job to see how you go 

Take care ?
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious @lisathomas50

thanks for your replies . This is my problem I find it hard to accept I’m not well . And I should listen to the others around me and the professionals . I had always said I’ll be up front with a employer bout my disability but I don’t think I will because then they want to know what meds your on and then I won’t get the job . 

I would like a little few hours a week job doing some cleaning. 
    Thanks to you both for your support and words of encouragement. 

Brightness