Wish I was well enough to work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wish I was well enough to work

Options
cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,288 Pioneering
I feel like My mental illness and medication Will mean I can never work again that’s how I feel . I’m blessed that my partner has a good job and he pay the bills he only wants me to rest and get better but I just want to work my nurse said I need to come to terms with my mental illness and my limitations but I struggle to accept my mental illness. 

Also there’s always that thought in the back of my head that no one will hire me any way with my mental illness . My nurse was saying I need to avoid all stresses because I could end up back into hospital if I’m in crisis again . 

I’m still traumatised from being in hospital felt like I was in jail . I hope don’t go into crisis again but it’s always a thought in the back of my head . 

I would like to do like a little cleaning job in the future . But I just don’t see my self ever getting better . 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will get better but it will take time 

Think of getting better and the good things you have in your life 

Having such a good partner is a lot more than others have and you should gain strength from that 

Work is something you can think of further down the line its not a priority at present 
    .take cars and keep talking to people 
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks for your kind words your right . My partner says I should be resting and not thinking bout working . But I just feel like I’m never going to get better which scares me . 

My nurse says all the time that I don’t realise how Ill iam mentally . I do realise I’m not well but I always wanna push my self I’m never one to just relax . 

The side effect medication seems to be helping which is good . X 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't really see why you couldn't do a cleaning job in future...  Something like a small shop or domestic cleaning for one or two households.  Doing lots of hours for an agency or a large office block might be too much stress but that's for you and the nurse to decide.  :)

I'm another that can't relax...  I hate the phrase 'just relax & concentrate on getting better'...  I just get so bored and restless and all of that time unoccupied is time that the anxiety & OCD take over.  The only way I make any progress myself is to keep doing things, but it's such a thin line between doing enough to help, and doing too much and making things worse.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mum suffered realy bad with her mental health when she was younger she kept haveing what the dr called then physcotic  breaks  she got a cleaning job for a lady who lived not far from us 4hrs a week over two days 

She did that for a few months to build her confidence and not to cause to much stress then she found a job that was 12 hrs and eventually then worked 16hrs  and she worked until she retired 

My mum used to do yoga as well and then taught yoga one evening a week 

As your nurse says  you don't realise how bad your mental health is  give it a bit longer and take small steps see if you can find a small job maybe try voluntary work a couple of hours a week 

You need to accept and come to terms with your condition so that you know what your limits I don't know if you have it in England  but in wales we have what is called out work  the one I did was was putting straps on watches I started off with doing one box a week and as I got more confident I did two boxes a week 

Hope that you will carry on getting stronger and be able to do a small job to see how you go 

Take care ?
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious @lisathomas50

thanks for your replies . This is my problem I find it hard to accept I’m not well . And I should listen to the others around me and the professionals . I had always said I’ll be up front with a employer bout my disability but I don’t think I will because then they want to know what meds your on and then I won’t get the job . 

I would like a little few hours a week job doing some cleaning. 
    Thanks to you both for your support and words of encouragement. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.