Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
BBC News: Coronavirus: When can we stop wearing face masks or coverings?

Last night, PM Boris Johnson confirmed that mandatory mask-wearing is due to end in England on 19th July 2021.
People will still be encouraged to use face coverings in crowded places, such as shops and on public transport to help stop the spread of Covid, but there will be no legal requirement or fines if they opt not to.
Some people are keen to see the back of wearing facemasks, whereas others are worried it's still too soon.

What do you think? Will you be wearing a facemask or covering after the 19th July?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July? 58 votes

Yes, I'll continue to wear my facemask or covering at least some of the time
70%
forgoodnesssakeJean Eveleigh[Deleted User]Geoarkrfk1974TopkittenleeCalWaylayangiecxxAmi2301Alicia89MarkIngletoneasynewbornRoddy123Garzajaner1967vikingqueenlunapetunia2chiarieds 41 votes
No, I won't be wearing my facemask or covering at all
15%
poppy123456woodbineMsbettyboop[Deleted User]IrishMancMrBBAnxietyPlusLoveLifeDurhamjaide 9 votes
Unsure
1%
OverlyAnxious 1 vote
I'm exempt from wearing a facemask or covering
12%
Joshua1959deb74tchpEchoBachcupcake88cazza6565Emilyb81 7 votes

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I will continue to wear a face mask.

I'm guilty of being more worried about the economy than most people are, most are worried about individuals, and so I was excited to see the easing of restrictions like lockdowns and seeing the economy get back to normal.

However wearing a face mask causes no hardship to the economy or businesses. It doesn't affect the economy like lockdowns do so I don't see a reason not to wear one. Surely better to carry on "business as usual" but with masks on, than potentially go into another lockdown.

I also like the 2 meter rule and will be continuing to maintain distance, and I hope sanitising stations in supermarkets and shops stay as well.
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I am exempt but I wear one when/if I'm able to? I definitely think this and using hand sanitizer etc will be good to keep doing if we choose to because it will stop so many people catching other things like colds if already vulnerable hopefully? I think children will be washing their hands more now too which is also a good thing ??
  • Emilyb81
    Hospital, doctors and chemist are the places I try my best to keep it on for now I don't really go anywhere else anyway?  Think the 2 meter rule is also another good thing if around strangers etc ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If I lived in England I would still wear a mask still social distance thank god the Welsh government have more sense 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'll still be wearing a mask for the foreseeable
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    I will still be wearing my face mask and also being just as careful on going out as I was before as I am still Clinically Extremely Vulnerable to COVID.

I have a friend who is very sick with it right now despite being double vaccinated, if she wasn't she would be in hospital and maybe worse right now.

AND I have no confidence in "common sense" although not in the UK I admit this is what "common sense" does ---  https://uk.yahoo.com/news/covid-free-dance-party-infects-130638194.html

They (the club organizers) did everything the Municipal Health Authorities told them to do before opening on June 26: require all customers to present vaccine certificates or negative COVID-19 tests. No face masks or social distancing was required for the revelers.

What they apparently didn’t account for was how desperate the customers were to dance. So far, 165 of the 650 nightclub goers have tested positive for the virus despite the precautions. Now they know that many of those who attended shared screengrabs of Q-codes or negative tests and the bouncers didn’t notice.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I won't be doing so, can't stand the things, having said that don't mix with loads of people.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    Hell yes I will continue to wear a mask and actively encourage friends to as well 
  • foryoureyesonly
    foryoureyesonly Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Yeah why not its our choice though i hope there's no business owners who get annoyed  like in some conservative places in the us save lives not political stands anyway many people even shop workers don't bother even know.

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I live in Wales and the Welsh government haven't decided on a date for easing restrictions yet. I am exempt from wearing a mask  but I know a lot of people who are getting fed up with having to wear a mask.
  • Supernanma
    Supernanma Community member Posts: 42 Connected

Last night, PM Boris Johnson confirmed that mandatory mask-wearing is due to end in England on 19th July 2021.
    People will still be encouraged to use face coverings in crowded places, such as shops and on public transport to help stop the spread of Covid, but there will be no legal requirement or fines if they opt not to.
    Some people are keen to see the back of wearing facemasks, whereas others are worried it's still too soon.

What do you think? Will you be wearing a facemask or covering after the 19th July?

My sister in law has had both vaccines, and has still contracted this new variant. She feel pretty ill, and that's with having vaccines, so I think that the Government are wrong. I think we should wear them at least until the new year. 
  • kmichealm68
    kmichealm68 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I’ve got asthma, so haven’t worn a face mask during the so called “pandemic”.
    What exactly is the point of wearing a mask, when your just as likely to catch even wearing a mask.
    how come at the beginning of the this crisis, both of the chief & deputy medical officers openly stated that face masks made no difference as to whether you caught the “virus” or not 
    So as the guidelines now state a mask is not required, so have the so called new “virus strains” now disappeared, it’s utterly ridiculous that we’ve been under such draconian conditions for almost 18 months. 
    Boris & SAGE should be taken to court for denying us our civil rights.
  • kev1
    kev1 Community member Posts: 613 Pioneering
    I will only wear one in places where required to do so
  • kmichealm68
    kmichealm68 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    So if she’s caught it despite having both vaccines doesn’t that speak volumes for said Covid vaccines, I’d say it’s a complete disaster Supernanma said:

My sister in law has had both vaccines, and has still contracted this new variant. She feel pretty ill, and that's with having vaccines, so I think that the Government are wrong. I think we should wear them at least until the new year. 

• IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    I’ve got asthma, so haven’t worn a face mask during the so called “pandemic”.
    What exactly is the point of wearing a mask, when your just as likely to catch even wearing a mask.
    how come at the beginning of the this crisis, both of the chief & deputy medical officers openly stated that face masks made no difference as to whether you caught the “virus” or not 
    So as the guidelines now state a mask is not required, so have the so called new “virus strains” now disappeared, it’s utterly ridiculous that we’ve been under such draconian conditions for almost 18 months. 
    Boris & SAGE should be taken to court for denying us our civil rights.
    I’ve come to agree with this and doing voluntary work in England where I live, I’ve always respected people’s exemptions without asking for evidence of exemptions, as personally, I find breathing in masks a little difficult - I know there is still massive social/peer pressure to wear them still as being “awake” to a lot of this stuff, the scientific evidence does say that they are dangerous, not helpful, same applies to vaccines (I’ve had both) but that is only because of the relentless pressure to test and vaccinate - however back home in the Republic of Ireland this is far worse, as the Gardai (police) have been tasked with the (unlimited) enforcement of the HSE’s (NHS) and NEPHET’s (Sage) guidelines (rules) as our Taoiseach in Dáil Éireann has given the Gardai massively increased enforcement powers under the (amended) Irish mental treatment act and the 3rd jab looks set to be mandatory in Ireland, not just for travel purposes, as our Irish restrictions are already the strictest in Europe - I’d been hoping to go home to Ireland this summer but it’s too expensive and cumbersome, even on SailRail through Holyhead in Wales or by air through Northern Ireland and train or coach into the Republic as the Garda checkpoints are everywhere, border crossings, ports and airports  where a smartphone is (effectively) a legal requirement now - the NHS Vaccine Passport app is not valid in Ireland either, only the EU one and the Health Passport Ireland App, despite the Common Travel Area between the U.K. and Ireland and it’s virtually impossible to get any clarity from the Irish government on travel restrictions aside from a potential new date for lifting all restrictions by Jan 2022 even though I’ve always held an Irish passport in the almost 20 years I’ve lived in the U.K. 
  • LithaRiddle
    LithaRiddle Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Yes! I love my masks especially since I've had long Covid since I got infected in late February. I love that they keep my loved ones safe from myself if I'm infected. I'm actually lucky to be alive after getting Emphysematous Cholecystitis as a result of Covid. I'd much rather spare my 11 year old son the possibility of getting Covid because of me. I've had my double vaccine but there isn't one available yet for him. 
  • Emilyb81
    edited July 2021
    I hate it when people say things like "so called pandemic" because its so disrespectful to anyone who has had covid or lost someone to it? ☹️ Sorry just needed to get that out as been seeing it for months in different comments sections etc? People saying its not real etc! Its just so insulting for people who's lives have been affected in some way ☹️ but i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion! Take care and stay safe xx
  • Emilyb81
    @kmichealm68 they didnt have enough information about the spread of the virus in beginning? So mistakes have been made and corrected asap ? Thats why they first said masks don't stop or help the spread of covid?! There have been many trials since and they prove it does stop spreading of it so thats why they since have said its important to wear one! 
    And the only reason they are now letting people move away from wearing one is because they are constantly being harassed by people wanting to "go back to normal"?! Same as the kids back to school situation! Honestly the government are doing what they know to do and trying their best to please everyone! None of them have dealt with anything like this before and It doesnt matter what party they're in nobody wants anyone dying unnecessarily!
    Lastly the vaccine doesnt stop people getting it it makes it less likely they will die if they do! I am glad i had both of my jabs anything that helps me move away from being scared of dying a horrible death each time i leave my home is good in my opinion? But as i said its just that my opinion and you have yours & thats fine just wish it didnt have to come across so insulting to those who have been badly affected by it all? But that seems to always be the case when people don't believe in the pandemic or the government etc so nowt i can do about it ? anyway sorry for my opinions at 6am its a bit early i know ? have a fab day peeps and stay safe ???
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    The government haven't said that you can't catch the virus after two vacinations and they advised people to still wear a mask and keep your distance 

It's people's choice though in wales we still have to wear masks and keep our distance and I still would fo the same if the government said we didn't have to  then it would be a person's choice and I would accept which ever way people wanted to go with it 

Brightness