Hi, my name is Didav2017! I'm feeling overwhelmed over my new haemochromatosis diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Didav2017! I'm feeling overwhelmed over my new haemochromatosis diagnosis

Didav2017
Didav2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hi thanks for having me join I have just been diagnosed and feeling a bit overwhelmed ? had problems for quite a while now sore joints bowel problems over heating and headaches will this improve with my treatment

Thanks Diane 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

What have you been diagnosed with? 

Hopefully the treatment will help you 

Feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • Didav2017
    Didav2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hemachomotosis 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Didav2017 :) Welcome to the community. Thanks for joining, it's really great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear that your recent diagnosis has caused you to feel a bit overwhelmed. This, along with worries over whether treatments will work, is perfectly normal. 

When I searched for 'hemachomotosis' it came up with 'haemochromatosis'- is that what you've been diagnosed with?

The NHS page on haemochromatosis states that:
    There's currently no cure for haemochromatosis, but there are treatments that can reduce the amount of iron in your body.

This can help relieve some of the symptoms and reduce the risk of damage to organs such as the heart, liver and pancreas.

Has your doctor put together a treatment plan for you? Have you spoken to them about how confident they are that the treatment will help you manage the symptoms you've been experiencing?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Didav2017 - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community, Diane. Whilst it's good to get a diagnosis when you've had problems for a while, it can feel overwhelming when you find out. I hope you have found Tori's info & advice helpful. Is your GP supportive? Please also know we are all here to listen absolutely anytime. :)

Brightness