Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Hi @kmichealm68,
    What exactly is the point of wearing a mask, when your just as likely to catch even wearing a mask
    From my understanding, wearing a mask is more about preventing the transmission of coronavirus, rather than stopping you from getting it, if that makes sense. 
    People with the virus, sometimes unaware that they have itspread it through respiratory droplets that are exhaled when they cough, sneeze, sing, talk or breathe - and these droplets are then inhaled by somebody else.

According to a number of laboratory tests and multiple studies, the main value from wearing face masks is that they block up to 80% of these droplets from escaping into the air. They may also prevent about 50% of droplets from being inhaled too.
    (Sky News explainer)
    how come at the beginning of the this crisis, both of the chief & deputy medical officers openly stated that face masks made no difference as to whether you caught the “virus” or not 

This is a fair point in some ways, and something that has made some people skeptical of the effectiveness of masks. There are a number of factors that could have contributed towards the original messaging that masks might not be that effective in helping to combat the spread of coronavirus. The important thing is that the evidence does now seem to show that, in partnership with other preventative measures, face masks and coverings play an important role in preventing the transmission of coronavirus.

So as the guidelines now state a mask is not required, so have the so called new “virus strains” now disappeared,
    No.
    In England, the legal requirement to wear a face covering in enclosed public spaces ends. But government guidance says it "expects and recommends" the continued wearing of masks in crowded areas such as public transport.
    (BBC)

Some places have also announced that they'll be continuing to encourage visitors to wear face masks or coverings to be on the safe side, such as Sainsburys, Tesco, and Waterstones.

The newer variants of coronavirus are very much still present, making the government's announcement somewhat controversial. You can see some data about the variants on this gov.uk page.

Of course, those who are exempt from wearing a face mask or covering are still not required to wear one. 
    So if she’s caught it despite having both vaccines doesn’t that speak volumes for said Covid vaccines, I’d say it’s a complete disaster

It's well known that the vaccines aren't 100% effective, and the coronavirus vaccines are no different. However, they're playing an important role in reducing the spread of coronavirus, as well as reducing the severity of coronavirus symptoms in those who do unfortunately still catch the virus.

The COVID-19 vaccine that you have had has been shown to reduce the chance of you suffering from COVID-19 disease. Each vaccine has been tested in more than 20,000 people and many have also been used in many different countries.

It may take a few weeks for your body to build up some protection from the vaccine. Like all medicines, no vaccine is completely effective, so you should continue to take recommended precautions to avoid infection. Some people may still get COVID-19 despite having a vaccination, but this should be less severe.

(gov.uk)

This is why it's still important that we all remain vigilant in being careful not to spread the virus where possible.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, I'll continue to wear my facemask or covering at least some of the time
    I might not put it 'quite' as strongly as @Emilyb81 - but I think it could safely be said that we are in the midst of a pandemic, i.e. an epidemic of an infectious disease that spreads across many countries & which also affects many people. With over 4 million deaths worldwide, including 128 thousand deaths in the UK, I feel these figures speak for themselves.
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I'm exempt from wearing a facemask or covering
    Yeah sorry i was maybe a bit too in yer face with it but everyone in my family caught it and are still poorly now  so i guess i just take it too personally but i do that in general anyway ?? hope i didnt offend anyone! Xx
  • chiarieds
    Nothing to apologise for @Emilyb81 - I just don't say/feel I 'hate' anything.....tho I might dislike it intensely! :(  I think we're all agreed that everyone can usually have an opinion, but the truth matters over Covid-19. Tori I see has just given links backing up what you'd said. I hope your family improve soon. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Best wishes to your family @Emilyb81 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Emilyb81
    Thankyou @chiarieds    i am not so much sorry for what i said but sorry  because i didnt mean it to come across b@tchy? Im not saying anyone has made me feel that way its just I often read things i've typed and think ooops ?? but i cant delete them on here lol so i am trying to learn to read several times before i post and didnt do that this time unfortunately ?? maybe another thing i need to try harder with is not to post an instant reaction? Maybe thinking it through first when in different headspace would be better in general not just for others but for myself too because i end up cringing at myself a lot ???? nevermind i am still learning every day! So its all good! As long as i havent made anyone feel attacked its ok ? I guess its always going to be hard where loved ones are involved?
    And thankyou @Tori_Scope i meant to say some are still poorly not all of them! But appreciate the good wishes ☀️??? xx
  • MrBB
    MrBB Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    No, I won't be wearing my facemask or covering at all
    I won’t be wearing a mask because I couldn’t be bothered if I get Covid and it kills me because my son was murdered by a drunk speeding driver in April so my life is hell and I would be only too happy to join him
  • nikki74
    nikki74 Community member Posts: 0 Listener
    edited July 2021
    I do not want to wear a mask any longer after July 19th as as far as I am concerned I have been fully vaccinated and therefore dont see myself as posing a risk to others.
  • daz2
    daz2 Community member, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 112 Pioneering
    edited July 2021
    I will carry on wearing one where I'm told to. Shops  for example, maybe for a while on trains & buses & then stop. I don't really want to wear a facemask in pubs or the cinema. There are three pubs  near where me & my wife live and all three have said that people don't need to wear facemasks if they don't want to from Monday . One wasn't really happy about the rules so people sometimes came in without a mask. I don't really want to get to the point where wearing facemasks has become the norm & there are still places in 2025 saying you must wear a mask before you enter. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @MrBB - I'm so very, very sorry about your son. It's a long time ago, but we lost our youngest daughter when she was 23 months old. However, much as I know how that made me feel (& still does), I can't imagine losing a child in the way you have suffered. Your son wouldn't want you to die a horrible death due to Covid, but to live on remembering him.
    You would think after all these years I might find the words to help you; I'm not sure I can. I hope you had the privilege of seeing your son grow up, & got to know him as a young adult. That doesn't make it any the easier tho, I'm sure. Your loss is great, but your bond of love is even greater; I know I feel I carry my youngest daughter forever in my heart, & think about her every day.....to me it's a precious burden. I hope you have family &/friends that can support you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

There is a post in recent discussions about masks you might be interested in 
  • lunapetunia2
    lunapetunia2 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I am grateful to be in Wales! Yes, I am still CEV, so will carry on wearing a mask indoors everywhere except home.and outdoors whenever it feels crowded, close or unsafe. Hand gel is my best friend!
  • Emilyb81
    ❤️❤️❤️
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    I don't go out often due to anxiety, but when and if I do I will be wearing a mask. I'm going to continue wearing a mask till atleast next year or when the cases are really low again. But I think we could have another wave if people go in groups again without masks so we'll be under another lockdown if were not careful.

Also its kinda become habit now to sanitise hands before entering anywhere and making sure I have my mask with me before leaving the house.
  • Edikie
    Edikie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2021
    I think it should not be necessary or essential  beacuse  some people in shops or buses are not wearing one and if there still be lockdowns dispite vaccination and mask wearig that I have been wearing then what’s the point 

I don’t like face mask I At all beacuse it’s sometimes hard to breath in also I’m really excepted beacuse I have a disability myself if still have to wear face covering then I will wear a face sheild or exempt badge.

So that’s how I feel about them but
    But if it will cost further lockdowns then I will regret not wearing
  • Badbunny
    Badbunny Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    My husband and I are vulnerable to Covid - he was on the shielding list, having had a stroke and having high blood pressure and diabetes.  I have post-viral ME and asthma.  We are going to continue to wear masks and distance, minimise contact with other people, etc.  I no longer go mooching around the shops - just get the basics at quiet times - and the  only place I go for leisure is the swimming pool as it helps my fibromyalgia and I can't exercise on land and chlorine kills viruses.
  • LoveLife
    LoveLife Posts: 7 Listener
    edited July 2021
    No, I won't be wearing my facemask or covering at all

Myself and my teens have never worn a mask, been tested or [Removed by moderator - misinformation about vaccines]. I've done lots of research, and all go against my health. Since May 20 I've attended freedom gatherings in London, last month there were 2 million of us Truthers, not one death reported from the [Removed by moderator – offensive term]. [Removed by moderator - misinformation about the coronavirus vaccines]. My anxiety swells seeing the masked faces, mumbling under their muzzles is very hard for me and getting harassed with shop staff doing their poorly paid policing. But I will always stand up for my god given human rights. We all have free choice and [Removed by moderator - misinformation about Agenda 2030]. Wake up world to the propaganda and false narrative. Do not trust strangers with your life. Namaste

• eleanorhippy
    eleanorhippy Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I live in Wales where the dates are different. I will be wear a mask after this. 
  • alex72
    alex72 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    edited October 2021
    i will always wear a mask i think we will always have to be careful  when we go out i suffer pad. peripheral  arterial disease.and heart problems.i still go out. when i can i am always in pain but i will never give in to it same with this virus its not going to ruin my life. what i have left of it.i cant stand being cooped inside especially living alone also i am lucky to have very good neighbours and family.they always look in on me to make sure i am ok. as for washing masks i have washable ones i dont put them in the washing machine i soak them in bleach and hang them up to dry so [Username removed by moderator] dont use that as an excuse for not wearing a mask and yes i have had both injections even though they said there could be problems with blood clots i still had mine even though i have problems with said blood clots.my family and friends are my priority keeping them safe its just common sense.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the wearing of masks 

Brightness