Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will you continue to wear a facemask after the 19th July?

Options

Comments

• LithaRiddle
    LithaRiddle Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Yes, I'll continue to wear my facemask or covering at least some of the time
    Emilyb81 said:
    Yeah sorry i was maybe a bit too in yer face with it but everyone in my family caught it and are still poorly now  so i guess i just take it too personally but i do that in general anyway ?? hope i didnt offend anyone! Xx
    You don't need to apologise. My 31 year old step brother died in November because of Covid. He left behind two children who will now grow up without their father. People calling it 'so called' and 'scamdemic' are insulting to his memory. :( 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Thread closed pending review.

Edit

I've reopened the thread for the time being. I created the poll because I wanted to encourage some discussion over the easing of lockdown restrictions, namely mask wearing, in England, and find our what your views are. I think it's possible for us to maintain civil discussion and debate here, so I'd like to try and keep the thread open if possible.

I'd like to remind all members to check that the information they're posting is accurate to the best of their ability, backed up with credible evidence where possible. It's also important that all members refrain from presenting opinion as fact, as stated in our house rules.

We will close the thread permanently if the discussion gets out of hand. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @LoveLife,

I've removed parts of your comment that contained misinformation about vaccines, the coronavirus vaccines, and the UN's Agenda 2030 global development framework. I also removed an unnecessary term that could be deemed offensive to other readers. I've left some other sections of your comment up for context for now.
    I've done lots of research, and all go against my health.
    If this is in relation to the coronavirus vaccines, please rest assured that they are safe. If you have a concern about the vaccines, perhaps if you have a specific condition and you're worried this might mean the risks of having the vaccine outweigh the benefits, you should speak to your GP in the first instance. You can find official information about the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines on the NHS website. There is unfortunately a lot of misinformation out there about the coronavirus vaccines, so it's important you're getting your information from credible sources.
    last month there were 2 million of us Truthers, not one death reported
    If this is in reference to the anti-lockdown march on the 26th June, all of the articles I've read have suggested that there were thousands of people there, not 2 million (e.g. The Guardian). I also couldn't find any evidence to support the claim that not one death was reported.

Although some have suggested that Agenda 2030, a global framework for sustainable development, is proof that the coronavirus pandemic is part of a wider conspiracy, this is a false claim. You can read a fact check from Reuters here.
    getting harassed with shop staff 
    It's not clear whether you're exempt from wearing a face mask from reading your comment. If you are, you shouldn't be harassed by shop staff and this is something you should complain about. If you're not exempt, shop staff have been under instruction to ask that all visitors to the shop wear a face mask or covering to help stop the spread of coronavirus, as required by law.
    Wake up world to the propaganda and false narrative. Do not trust strangers with your life.
    This is an important point. It's vital that we all stick to trusting information from credible sources where we can, and not spread misinformation about coronavirus and the coronavirus vaccines that can have dangerous consequences.

Although I've left parts of your comment up for context for the time being, this is subject to change. We'll also be removing further comments that contain misinformation, opinion presented as fact, or anything else that breaches our house rules.

• Tori_Scope
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi [Username removed by moderator],

I've removed parts of your comment that contained misinformation about face masks and the coronavirus vaccines, as well as a false claim about the government's motivations and actions.

There is no evidence to suggest, and there is evidence to disprove, that face masks cause lung cancer. You can read a Reuters fact check here. It's important not to spread misinformation about face masks and coverings that may scare people into not wearing them. Face masks and coverings play an important role in preventing the spread of coronavirus.

Your claim that the coronavirus vaccines haven't been properly tested is also false. The NHS website outlines how the coronavirus vaccines have been developed, tested, and approved:
    COVID-19 vaccines have to go through several stages of clinical trials before they can be approved for use.

Clinical trials are where a vaccine or medicine is tested on volunteers to make sure it works and is safe.

The approved COVID-19 vaccines have been tested on thousands of people in the UK and around the world, including:
    • people from different ethnic backgrounds
    • people aged between 18 and 84
    • people with different health conditions
    All vaccines used in the UK must be approved by the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

The MHRA makes sure the vaccines meet strict international standards for safety, quality and effectiveness. Once a vaccine is approved, it's closely monitored to continue to make sure it is safe and effective.
    You may also find it helpful to watch the video at the bottom of the page, as I think it explains the process in a way that's easy to understand.

I'm glad to hear that you've had both of your vaccines. If you've been experiencing negative side effects, please visit your GP to discuss this with them.

PTSD is a certainly a valid reason for not being able to wear a mask. I'm sorry that you felt as though you had to fight for that.
    still they refuse to put it in writing
    I wasn't sure what you meant by this exactly. Who is 'they'? Additionally, as stated on the gov.uk website:
    If you have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering:
    • you do not routinely need to show any written evidence of this
    • you do not need show an exemption card
    This means that you do not need to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about your reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people feel more comfortable proving their exemption from wearing facemasks, such as by wearing the Sunflower Lanyard or carrying an exemption card.

I'm sorry to hear that you were abused as a child, and that you've felt suicidal at times during the pandemic. I'll be sending you an email about this later on today, so please do keep an eye out for that.

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss @LithaRiddle, I'm sure that must be very difficult to cope with. Have you spoken to anyone about your grief? Have members of your family been able to support each other through this time?

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Welcome to the community @MrBB. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your son. I can't begin to understand how you must be feeling at the moment. I'm going to be sending you an email later on today to check-in with you and see if there's anything we can do to help. Please do keep an eye out for that. 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Nikki74 :) Welcome to the community! I've moved your post over to this thread, as I think this is where you meant to put your comment. 

It's important to remember that you can still catch, and therefore spread, coronavirus even after receiving both vaccines. No vaccine is 100% effective, and the coronavirus vaccines are no different. This is why it's important to continue following social distancing guidance. That being said, getting the vaccine does reduce your risk of catching coronavirus, and in many cases reduces your risk of becoming seriously ill with coronavirus.

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Edikie :) Welcome to the community, it's good to have you with us. I've also moved your post across to this thread, as that's what your post seemed to be relating to.  Although vaccines, masks, and other measures aren't 100% effective independently, they're all important ways of helping to stop the spread and severity of the virus, especially when combined together.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always wear a face mask and will continue to do so I live in Wales anyway so our rules are slightly different 

What I have found though with the realy hot weather we are haveing is the masks can be uncomfortable  for breathing and makeing you hot in my job though whilst customers are in the petrol station where I have to wear a mask I can't wait for the flow of customers to slow down and then serve through the hatch as I don't have to wear a mask then ?
  • angiecxx
    angiecxx Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    @LoveLife. I'm sorry but how can you call face masks (muzzles)?. You also state that people shouldn't trust people but do you trust our so called government who have continued to lie to the public? You may not want to wear a muzzle but you should also think of others. If it's safe enough not to wear a mask then why do cases continue to rise? Yes it's your choice if you choose not to wear a face covering but please think of others as well as yourself. Ps there wasn't two million people, it was a few thousand. 
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    Since first answering I have had to go out a couple of times to medical appointments and have found I have not been able to wear a mask for the entire period (I do have a visor I will wear instead when I have to remove my mask.

I have found 2 issues:-

one is I start to have issues breathing in the mask which can be rectified by removing it for a short period and then reapplying it and repeating

the second is more serious that is when using my electric wheelchair as my glasses steam up it is too dangerous to drive; so I cannot wear a mask while driving my chair :-(
  • Tori_Scope
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Have you tried using a small piece of tape to secure the mask around your nose @Jean Eveleigh? I've heard that can help prevent glasses from steaming up, and I imagine it should still be easy to remove if you needed? 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Most people in the far east have been wearing face masks since long before Covid (probably ever since SARS. It isn't really an issue for me though my breathing is a little affected so I see no reason to not wear one. I also refused the vaccine because there was no point once mutations started appearing but even without the mutations the odds of me catching Covid are far less than a guaranteed response to a vaccine (which I understand now needs a third injection because it isn't working as predicted). I don't have enough contact with other people to worry too much about catching anything, not even the Flu, but when I do I wear a mask and will continue to do so.
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Topkitten

Thanks for your reply. Just for clarification, are you referring to yourself having a guaranteed response to the vaccine if you were to have it? I assume that's what you meant but just wanted to clear it up, I wouldn't want to worry anybody else if they read that and took it to mean that everybody will have a reaction.

It's true that a third Covid vaccine injection is being planned for the winter, however this is just to ensure that people have the maximum possible protection and is not that the vaccine isn't working as predicted.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • LoveLife
    LoveLife Posts: 7 Listener
    edited August 2021
    Options
    No, I won't be wearing my facemask or covering at all
    Check out the govt yellow card scheme. [This post contained disproven claims regarding COVID-19 vaccines and has been removed. Please refer to official government/NHS information on COVID-19 vaccines.]
  • Topkitten
    Options
    @Ross_Scope, yes having checked things out most people have at least some response to the vaccine but very few have a serious response but my thinking is "why take the vaccine 3 times with an almost guaranteed response of some sort or risk having the same response from a virus I probably won't catch anyway". Does that make things clear? Obviously the risk of catching the original virus is a risk each person must assess from their individual lifestyle. As for other mutations (like Delta) we are on our own anyway as the vaccine has no effect at all against mutations.
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had no response to the vaccination which I’ve had twice. I will additionally continue to use a mask in shops or where I may be in close contact with others as a precaution. We are still experiencing a pandemic.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @LoveLife,

I've removed a part of your comment that contained misinformation about the coronavirus vaccines. Please remember the following points covered in our house rules:
    • Always check that information is correct and appropriate.
    • Do not present opinions as facts.
    • Share reputable sources of information.

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Topkitten,

I'd encourage you to remember that it's very much still possible for people to catch coronavirus, and echo Ross' point that most people who have the vaccine will not experience serious side effects. 

The patient information leaflets for each vaccine outline the possible side effects:
    The most common side effects are quite mild, as outlined on the NHS website.
    Common side effects

Like all medicines, the COVID-19 vaccines can cause side effects, but not everyone gets them.
    Most side effects are mild and should not last longer than a week, such as:
    • a sore arm from the injection
    • feeling tired
    • a headache
    • feeling achy
    • feeling or being sick
    You may also get a high temperature or feel hot or shivery 1 or 2 days after your vaccination. You can take painkillers such as paracetamol if you need to. If your symptoms get worse or you're worried, call 111.

Therefore, in most cases, the benefits of having the vaccine outweigh the risks. If you're unsure about whether it's safe for you to have the vaccine, you should speak to your GP, nurse, or pharmacist. 

Current evidence also suggests that, although no vaccine is ever 100% effective, the vaccine is effective against the delta variant. 

New analysis by PHE shows for the first time that 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective against hospitalisation from the Delta (B.1.617.2) variant.

The analysis suggests:
    • the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
    • the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
    These are comparable with vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation from the Alpha variant.

Further work remains underway to establish the level of protection against mortality from the Delta variant. However, as with other variants, this is expected to be high.

The analysis included 14,019 cases of the Delta variant – 166 of whom were hospitalised – between 12 April and 4 June, looking at emergency hospital admissions in England.

Public Health England (PHE) has previously published analysis showing that one dose is 17% less effective at preventing symptomatic illness from the Delta variant, compared to Alpha, but there is only a small difference after 2 doses.

(Public Health England)

The impact of mutations on the effectiveness of the vaccines is also being taken into account by the manufacturers. For example, Pfizer is working on an updated version of its vaccine already.

• Topkitten
    Options
    @Tori_Scope, as I stated I have very little contact with the outside world so in my case the chance of catching Covid of any strain is negligible. Therefore why take a guaranteed risk when I probably won't have to take any risk at all.

As for Covid itself....... It's still claimed that 30% have no side effects and simply become carriers. Only 1 person in 7 has a risk of serious illness and only 3 in 200 are at risk of death (which is slightly less than for the vaccine btw) Personally I'll take my minimal chances over a guaranteed risk.

As for the Government Scientists and the NHS. I personally do not trust them one bit. They stated 4 long term benefits of the vaccine within weeks of it's appearance (scientific impossibility) and released to the newspapers et al that the vaccine worked against mutations (another scientific impossibility). For truthful information I only trust the WHO and (to a lesser extent) the CDC. Neither of these organisations has released any spurious or government driven information just to please people (especially the government of this country). The same cannot be said about the scientists in this country and the NHS.

As for future vaccines...... currently you would need 11 for generation 1 mutations and 1 for the first generation 2 mutation. Until the picture settles down and people who are going to get it get over it or don't nothing much will or can be done. My personal opinion is that I do not want to take 12 vaccines 3 times and which cannot be taken in parallel because by the time you have gotten through that lot there will be more mutations about. Flu vaccines work simply because only 1 new mutation appears each year because it has been around so long. The last time I checked the Covid mutation rate is once every 9 months and possibly from each mutation. No one as yet knows how many gen 2 or gen 3 etc mutations will occur.

The simple matter is that no Cross Species Virus has ever had a cure and that list is Covid, Influenza, SARS and HIV.

Brightness