Hi, my name is jodyeeyore! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jodyeeyore!

jodyeeyore
jodyeeyore Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I am new to the community. I have fibromyalgia, CFS, osteoarthritis, PVNS newly diagnosed. Oral lichens planus. A partial knee replacement in the right knee 2015, a very very painful hip on the left which is waiting further investigation. I also care for my Mum who has dementia and my husband is waiting results from tests to see if he has COPD. I use a wheelchair and stick to get about but pain is my constant companion!! I say hello to you all.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

Thanks for sharing with us about yourself 
  • jodyeeyore
    I do have a question on benefits, is this something you can help with by means of advice.
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

Yes I can try and help if not çan point you in right direction 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jodyeeyore - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read all the problems yourself & family are facing; you're all certainly going through a lot. Please do let us know, & hopefully we can help you with your benefits question. :)
  • jodyeeyore
    I currently claim ESA support, and pip standard living and advanced mobility which has enabled me to benefit from a brand new CR-V SUV. When we went into lock my husband applied for universal credit, we had to apply jointly because we're married. Since my Mum was diagnosed with dementia in Aug 20 over the year she has needed more help and care from me. So I applied for carers allowance. I am entitled to it but because I get more from ESA I don't receive any money. But dwp have reduced our universal credit as they claim I am in receipt of carers allowance. I have written in my journal to them but had no response. Do I stop the carers allowance as I am not gaining anything and tell them the reason.?
    Thanks
    Jody
  • janer1967
    I'm not sure tbh do you claim the carers element of uc as well as carers allowance 

I would advise you contact welfare rights for a full benefit check 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Hi @jodyeeyore - This seems correct...if you receive more from your ESA than the amount of the Carers Allowance (CA), then you don't get CA. Also with Universal Credit, you can't get both this & CA, so the CA would be deducted in full anyway.
    As Jane mentions, you may be entitled to the Carer's element of £163.73 a month (you don't need to have the CA to qualify for this). If so you should ask UC to recalculate, taking into consideration that you obviously had caring responsibilities (assuming you were caring for your Mum for at least 35 hours a week) as you previously claimed CA, but didn't receive it. They should then backdate the Carer's element to take this into consideration from when you started caring for your Mum. If you have any letters to back up when you put in a claim for CA these may be helpful.
    You also mention, 'should I stop the Carer's Allowance as I'm not gaining anything.....?' which has left me a little confused, as I thought you hadn't ever received this.
  • jodyeeyore
    That's what I mean I am losing money now as they think I receive carers allowance and are reducing the UC. We receive no carers allowance so if I explained it's reducing funds we can't afford to lose will that change if I stopped carers allowance. Would our UC stay as it was and not be reduced. I will contact UC today with regards to carers element.
  • jodyeeyore
    We don't claim carers element. Not as far as I am aware.
  • jodyeeyore
    Just checked online on gov.uk and carers element is only for severely disabled which I am not sure Mum is yet at that stage, although she qualifies for her allowance and does need me. I will apply and see.

• janer1967
    Carers element is for people that care for others who are in receipt of pip or dla (these are disability benefit) 

They must care for them for 35 hours or more 

This payment is made as the carer get no payment for this and restricts the hours they could work in pain employment 
  • jodyeeyore
    Mum receives attendance allowance which is one of the elements needed to apply. I am now on the UC sign in to apply. Many thanks for your help, will let you know.
    It's annoying though as UC reduced my money but must have known I wouldn't receive any money because of my ESA as they know I receive that why wouldn't they suggest I apply for this knowing my history. Beggars belief!

Brightness