Hi, my name is somtanders! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is somtanders!

somtanders
somtanders Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello all, I’m a 21yr old male living in the south of England, I am finishing a four month stint in various mental health hospitals and am finally coming back into the real world, (trying to come back into the real world) I also work in mental health and have done since the age of 16, when it is you it is although so very different…. It’s like all of that training and years of commitment solely focused on one thing and one thing only, for those of you who haven’t clocked on yet the answer is helping people and getting great satisfaction from doing so, it seems so strange that when it is you suffering all of that just goes out of the window and everything becomes Blank, anyway I am literally 8 hours out of hospital and am for the first time trying something like this, hello everyone and I hope everyone is in good spirits :)

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @somtanders - welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & introducing yourself. Please join in with any discussions of interest when having a look around the forum, or pop into our virtual 'Coffee lounge' for a chat & some word games. :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @somtanders

Welcome to Scope's online community. I am glad to see you have joined us. Mental health work sounds very rewarding and I am sure the practitioners who have helped you are feeling the same reward. We have a 'mental health issues' group discussion if that would help you or more general groups such as the coffee lounge. We can always signpost you too if you require additional support. I have noticed that the amazing @chiarieds has already greeted you and gave you some words of wisdom but I am wondering if any of our other community members have any top tips for @somtanders:) Keep going and remember your own passion for satisfaction from helping people!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    A belated welcome to the community @somtanders :) How are you doing today? Have you had a chance to take a look around the community? 

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself and your experiences so far. It's great that you want to be part of the community, and I'm sure that you'll have lots of valuable insight to share. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness