Benefit cap Backdate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit cap Backdate

parthian
parthian Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi i made a claim for PIP on 11/01/2021 for being diagnosed with Cancer and Brain Tumour. I was awarded PIP on 31/08/2021  Question is would Universal Credit backdate the Benefit cap as I was told from Local Council that you can claim this back by telling UC that your claim for PIP is accepted since 11/01/2021  ? I am not sure really .

My assessment from UC is 29th to 28th each month i have 3 kids and my partner works part Time 

Thank you in Advance

Comments

• parthian
    p.s  i did provide two sick notes to UC one was for 3 months which expired in June and then i was given a 6 months which is still valid with UC
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, they will backdate any money that's owed. Just leave a message on your journal under the payments section to tell them you've been awarded PIP and what date it was awarded from.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • parthian
    that's great  thank you for your quick reply, and one more question if i may would it be same case for the carer's allowance for my wife looking after me during time that i would have to add on the UC !
  • poppy123456
    Your wife doesn't have to claim Carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element of UC. Providing she doesn't claim the LCWRA element. There's no financial gain to claim carers allowance at the same time. Although carers allowance pays class 1 NI credits and UC pays class 3. Also with the carers allowance if your partner works there is an earnings limit of £128 per week.

For the carers element, if they were aware that she was your carer then yes it can be backdated but if she didn't report this then there could be problems backdating it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    parthian said:
    that's great  thank you for your quick reply, and one more question if i may would it be same case for the carer's allowance for my wife looking after me during time that i would have to add on the UC !
    Do you mean Carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC? I assume the latter.
    Has you wife previously told them that she cares for you? If so there should be no difficulty getting the carer element added and backdated, if not they may refuse to backdate (but you can challenge that).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jacob02
    jacob02 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    parthian said:
    Hi i made a claim for PIP on 11/01/2021 for being diagnosed with Cancer and Brain Tumour. I was awarded PIP on 31/08/2021  Question is would Universal Credit backdate the Benefit cap as I was told from Local Council that you can claim this back by telling UC that your claim for PIP is accepted since 11/01/2021  ? I am not sure really .

My assessment from UC is 29th to 28th each month i have 3 kids and my partner works part Time 

Thank you in Advance
    Hello i am just wondering i got the same issue. How long did you wait for the backdated payment from uc (benefit cap)
  • poppy123456
    jacob02 said:
    parthian said:

Thank you in Advance
    Hello i am just wondering i got the same issue. How long did you wait for the backdated payment from uc (benefit cap)

This thread is 13 months old and the member hasn't been active since the date they posted the question. It often takes a few weeks to recalculate your past statements to work out how much they owe you. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much they owe.

Brightness