Mixed age couple — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mixed age couple

rcs8256
rcs8256 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I unsure if anyone will be able to help.I been on all the benefits calculator but it coming different every time.in February I will be 66 and will get sp of £192.00 a week my wife who is younger will still get her esa at £114.00 a week we are on uc and get LCWRA the moment we both get pips at higher rates and wife is blind, what I am trying to find out is will we still be able to claim uc or can we claim hb. all the benefits calculations come up with no uc payment no rent paid we will get all council tax paid.i think we are still in title to the sdp but as we get uc we can get it we are getting Transitional Element off uc but we we lose that if we can’t claim anything from uc. Any help would be welcome

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    You will not be able to claim Housing Benefit. You will continue to be joint UC claimants (as if you were still working age) with your State Pension taken into account in full as income. Whether there remains any UC entitlement will depend on how much UC you currently get. Your pension of £192/week will reduce your UC by £832/month.

You mention that the UC includes the LCWRA element. Does one of you claim the carer element?

You cannot get SDP in UC.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    As a mixed aged couple you will remain on UC but your state pension and your wife's ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The total amount of deductions for the ESA will be £494 per month and for your state pension the deduction will be £832. So with a total deduction of £1,326 per month from the UC whether there will be any entitlement to UC will depend on how much housing element you receive. Difficult to advise without knowing how much housing element you receive in with your maximum UC entitlement.
    Your council tax reduction will continue.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    poppy123456 said:..Your council tax reduction will continue. 
    But will take the pension income into account if calculated separately, if calculated based on UC information will depend on the UC calculation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    rcs8256 said:..i think we are still in title to the sdp but as we get uc we can get it we are getting Transitional Element off uc but we we lose that if we can’t claim anything from uc. Any help would be welcome
    I wasn't clear whether you meant that your UC includes the SDP transitional element or whether you were asking if you could get it.
    If your UC already includes the transitional element that will continue to be included in the calculation of UC. If it doesn't then you cannot get.
  • rcs8256
    Yes we do still get Transitional payment but every site I been on for benefits say our uc will be zero no rent paid and no uc at all.
  • rcs8256
    Thank you for reply 
    so I way I see it we stay on uc but we won’t get any money from uc and we now have to pay are own rent cause we be over uc threshold  and lose out again with no sdp Transitional payment or any extra help due to our disability 

• calcotti
    edited October 2021
    How much is your existing monthly UC payment? If nothing else is changing then if it is less than £832 you will not have any ongoing entitlement when SP is in payment (but by definition your total benefit income will not be less than existing), if it is more than £832 then there will still be UC entitlement (and your total benefit income will be unchanged).

If you have some other income which is ending as you reach pension age then the calculation will be different.
  • poppy123456
    As a mixed aged couple then yes you would remain in UC. At the moment how much housing element do you receive? If you can tell us this then someone can advise whether there would be any UC entitlement. 
    If you don’t want to disclose this then nearer the time id advise you to speak to an advice centre near you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    To be clear - your total benefit income (including the SP) will not be less than existing (but may be no more than existing).
  • rcs8256
    The rent entitlement is £353.00 a month at the monument we get £ 406 a month that with the £20 off.hope that help 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    To be clear, does the £406 you receive include the £353 help with rent or is the help with rent paid direct to your landlord? Is there any income you receive which will be stopping when you reach pension age?
  • rcs8256
    The £406 is it the rent is paid direct to landlord I am not getting any benefits only couple allowed with uc wife get lcwra with uc but I also got it but can’t claim 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    So you current UC entitlement is £759/month (£406 paid to you and £353 paid to your landlord).
    When your SP starts your UC will end but you will be getting £832/month SP. You will need to pay your rent out of this but overall will still be £73/month better off (unless there are any changes to the CTR).
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    I admit I cannot see why your existing UC entitlement is only £759/month if it includes the SDPTE and the only income you have is the ESA your wife receives. We may be missing some information (and obviously we don't know how much SDPTE is included).
    rcs8256 said:
    .. only couple allowed with uc wife get lcwra with uc but I also got it but can’t claim 
    What you could have done when you claimed UC is ask for the carer element to be included for one of you (assuming you look after each other) - however it is too late for that now because if the carer element were added now it would be deducted from the SDPTE.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    I admit I cannot see why your existing UC entitlement is only £759/month if it includes the SDPTE and the only income you have is the ESA your wife receives. I suspect we are missing some information.
    rcs8256 said:
    .. only couple allowed with uc wife get lcwra with uc but I also got it but can’t claim 
    What you could have done when you claimed UC is ask for the carer element to be included for one of you (assuming you look after each other) - however it is too late for that now.

Yup i thought exactly the same. I'm sat here trying to work it out, couples standard element, LCWRA element, plus the SDPTE but it's not clear if this is couple or single person rate, OP can you confirm if it's couple or single SDP?
  • rcs8256
    We get £406 uc lcwra £343 rent £353 
    that is all we get we be on uc since 2018 I have about 20 times and had bc done and that all we been able to claim we both get pips and that’s is it? So are you saying something not right??
  • rcs8256
    It a couple Sdpte it was £120 but now down to £110 which is include in uc payment 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    rcs8256 said:
    We get £406 uc lcwra £343 rent £353 
    I’m sorry but this doesn’t make sense, the standard UC amount for a couple is £509.91/month, not £406. We need Tom add SDP £110.
    rcs8256 said:
     I have about 20 times 
    I don’t know what this means.

if you look at your monthly UC statement it will show maximum UC amount made up of standard allowance, housing element, LCWRA and SDPTE.

There will then be a deduction for your wife’s ESA (£494.43/month). There may be deductions for other items if applicable.

The balance is your existing entitlement.
  • rcs8256
    Sorry had a benefit Check and every time we told it right 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.