Newbie — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boudicca
Boudicca Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good morning.  Am I doing this right?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Boudicca

Welcome to the community, yes you are very much doing it right :) 

How are you? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Good morning @Boudicca -& welcome to the community from me too. I hope you are keeping well. Please have a look around the community, & join in with the discussions, as well as chat here. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community from me too 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome to the community from me too @Boudicca :) 

Would you like to start off by telling us a bit about yourself, or why you've joined? Please feel free to get involved and your own pace, and give us a shout if you need any help at all. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Boudicca
    Boudicca Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have only recently become disabled, just a few months ago.  I was discharged from social care a couple of weeks ago and am now trying to sort out my life from a wheelchair.   My application for Attendance Allowance went in last week and I don't expect to hear for several weeks.

My latest task is to find a car.  I was centered on Motability but have just realised that this is mainly for those who cannot afford to buy a car.  I can afford one.  I sold my automatic last December when I realised I was a danger on the roads because of the lack of control I had in my legs so I may have enough put by to purchase a car.  But should I buy or should I lease?  That is the question I am now addressing.

Any thoughts very welcome.  Thanks in advance.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Motability isn't about if you can afford to buy a car it 7s available if you get the enhanced rate of mobility component of pip 

Not always the most economic way to get a car but worth considering but if you lose the pip award you lose the car so lots to take into account 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Boudicca said:
    I have only recently become disabled, just a few months ago.  I was discharged from social care a couple of weeks ago and am now trying to sort out my life from a wheelchair.   My application for Attendance Allowance went in last week and I don't expect to hear for several weeks.

My latest task is to find a car.  I was centered on Motability but have just realised that this is mainly for those who cannot afford to buy a car.  I can afford one.  I sold my automatic last December when I realised I was a danger on the roads because of the lack of control I had in my legs so I may have enough put by to purchase a car.  But should I buy or should I lease?  That is the question I am now addressing.

Any thoughts very welcome.  Thanks in advance.

HI,
    Attendance Allowance is for those over State pension age. If you are under this age then it's PIP you claim. Attendance Allowance doesn't have the mobility part so you won't be able to lease a car through motability because you exchange your PIP Enhanced mobility or DLA high rate mobility award for the vehicle. https://www.motability.co.uk/about/check-your-eligibility/
    Whether you buy a car yourself or have one on lease/PCP  will depend on your financial circumstances. Not everyone is eligiblefor lease/PCP because it means applying for car finance. Details in link. https://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/leasing-guide/how-does-car-leasing-work/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness