Hi, my name is Stammers1! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Stammers1!

Options
Stammers1
Stammers1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I'm a 37 year Traumatic Brain injury Survivor. I was knocked down by a car at 30mph hitting my head on the windscreen my mum has told me about my accident as I have no memory of it still to this day. I've lived with a disability since the age of 11 about a year after my accident and kept it hidden until recently after a bout of Bells Palsy with no apparent cause. Since then I've not been able to hide my mental disability anymore so I've opened up to family about my disability which for me which is MASSIVE for me as I come from a tough generation that dont speak about owt. The research and technology wernt there back in 1983 like it is today. I'm hopeful now with support from my family and the right professionals on board I can live a happier more structured life. I'm not hiding anymore??

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Stammers1 :) It's great to have you on board.

Well done for opening up to the people in your life about your situation, and what you've experienced. That's definitely a big step, and a scary one! Did they react well?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Stammers1
    Options
    Thankyou for yor comment and welcoming me into this forum. My 2 sons have been amazing as I'm just dad lol my mum as told me what she can remember of the day of my accident bless her. The world was very different back in 1983. My hardest battle is getting the doctor to listen to what I'm telling them lol I'm not hiding anymore I've 37 years of hiding my disability with no support under my belt..thanks again for your commen?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community and for sharing with us about yourself 

Good for you for opening up and I wish you all the best 
  • Stammers1
    Options
    Thankyou for your nice comment I've lived a 37 year battle with no support up until recently and now with this forum..my doctor is ringing me next week so I can finally get my doctor on board..I cant and wont hide my disability anymore..main thing is I'm still here all these years later I'm learning more and more each day with all this I'm blown away by how many others survivors there are out there that understand and dont judge..thanks again??
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad that your family have been supportive @Stammers1 :) That always helps. 

It can be difficult to get the support you need from medical professionals sometimes, but hopefully you'll be able to get your doctor on board next week. Have you thought about what you're going to say? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Stammers1
    Options
    Thankyou for your welcome it's been a long time in coming I'm so glad I've been able to open up and not hide in the shadows anymore thanks again ?

Brightness