Fibromyalgia and working. I'm considering starting my own business, is this okay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia and working. I'm considering starting my own business, is this okay?

Options
Broreb1981
Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 160 Courageous
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have fibromyalgia and schizoaffective disorder. I work 30 hours in a busy office that is causing me stress which in turn doesn't help my conditions. I get PIP. I am considering trying to start my own business as a pet taxi service and dog walker. I can walk but not too far, I get cramps and need to stop then I can carry on for a little while longer and stop again. Would this be acceptable
When walking dogs, do you need to walk them non stop or could you take your time. Also how would this be seen for my PIP I need that money it helps me a great deal. Would me working for myself be seen as me being OK and then they not think I still struggle with daily life 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would say dog walking isn't an ideal job for anyone with problems walking.  The care of the dog will be your responsibility what would you do if it ran off or got into trouble with another dog 

If you get the mobility part of pip it could look like contradiction of why you claim if you can walk dogs as a job 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Yes you are right. I've been having cramps all day at work and my knee is really hurting today so walking a dog everyday is probably out of the question. 

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @Broreb1981just to add a friend of mine has a pet care franchise. She is very fit and works crazy hours. There's an awful lot involved in running this type of business and although she loves her job the uncertainty about regular income can be unsettling. I wouldn't recommend planning this type of work if you are not well. 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. When I think about it you are all right. How can I look after someone's beloved pet when sometimes I can't even look after myself. I'm really wanting to leave my current job it's not helping me. I wanted to work for myself or from home does anyone have any advice or ideas 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The number of jobs being advertised with home working offered is increasing @Broreb1981, so that could be a good option. 

Have you used sites such as Indeed to look for remote opportunities at all?

Do you have any reasonable adjustments (Scope) at your current place of work? 

If you'd like some employment advice, Scope have some employment services you might be able to benefit from :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Yes I do have reasonable adjustments at work but the job is a stressful job. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.