Access to Banking if you can't show proof of ID in branch — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to Banking if you can't show proof of ID in branch

SweepeyD
SweepeyD Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm a carer the person I look after is housebound. He needs to open a new bank account because his current provider no longer offers current accounts or ATM cards on any of their accounts. Although he can provide ID he can't get into a branch to verify this and since Covid the banks I've approached don't do home visits. To open an online account he'd need a smart phone to download the app but he does not want a smart phone. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm surprised not to find any legislation that helps provide access to banking for disabled people. I'm aware of Appointee but DWP were less than helpful, seemed reluctant to help. The bank says Power of Attorney will take too long. Besides he's mentally capable, just unable to get to branch.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SweepeyD :) 

Hmm, this is a good question. Most of the information I found after a quick Google said even if you open an account online, you might still be asked to visit a branch to show proof of ID. 

This page on NatWest does seem to suggest that you can do it all online, but I'm not sure.

I've marked your post as unanswered so that we can come back to it, and also to flag up to other users that you haven't had an answer to your question yet.

Is there a particular reason he doesn't want a smartphone? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    If banks can verify your identify without ID then they will. 

I opened a current account earlier in the year and this was all done online, no need to go in branch and was asked for no ID or documents, they were able to verify me in other ways and from other sources. So it is possible. 
  • SweepeyD
    Sorry I can't seem to figure out how to respond to individual replies so Tori_Scope and MarkM88 thank you for responding to my query:-) 

Tori_Scope - he just doesn't do technology. "my phone is just for making and receiving calls". He only let me show him how to read a text message because he missed out on a great deal by waiting until I was around to read it for him!! What can I say. I'll have a look at the NatWest one thank you.

MarkM88 - yes you're right it is possible. Unfortunately his existing account is with a building society who don't take part in the "Switch Service", that would have gone a long way to verifying his ID. Plus, per previous comment you may have gathered he is very "old school" and obstinate refusing to move into the 21st Century so he doesn't do debt i.e. credit cards etc which means he will have no real credit history etc. 

Tori - thank you for keeping this open as unanswered, I look forward to hearing from anyone who may have any input:-)
  • MarkM88
    Just to point out you don’t need to have a credit history or even a “good” one, there are basic current accounts out there to use. 

All I can suggest is you speak to each bank provider. 

They of course have to accept reasonable adjustments but alongside this have to operate within rules, regulations, legislation, etc and therefore can only do so much. 

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    @SweepeyD Have you got this resolved yet?  If not, I will do some further investigations as it seems ridiculous!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 349 Pioneering
    I recently wanted to open a savings account and tried some banks, Halifax I tried first and they asked me to go into branch to show ID to open the account. Since I suffer from bad social anxiety and don't go out much it wasn't an option. I then tried Natwest which was far more easier and they did everything online, I didn't have to go in branch just upload documents via a verification site online and it was set up.

I think it depends on the banks themselves, but some you can simply open just via online. I'm not sure about current accounts but the switch service should make it even easier I'm guessing. Natwest was very easy to open and had it done within 2 days of enquiring.
  • JustPete
    A quick look at HSBC returned this:

I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • MarkM88
    @JustPete which is great, as all banks probably allow online applications. They will still require verification of ID though. 
  • SweepeyD
    @JustPete - thank you for all your effort. No we're not resolved yet. I tried Nat West as suggested by @Tori_Scope unfortunately the ID he could provide, while OK for Halifax, isn't standard for them. Also the submission of ID process was via Smartphone (which he doesn't have). I'll give the HSBC a shot. Thank you. I'll post on the site and let you know either way. 
  • muuranker
    muuranker Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Does your client have internet access? If so I recommend Triodos. Because (a) they don't have branches. (B) they are very disability aware - they were talking me through regaining access when I had locked myself out, and mentioned I struggle to see the numbers on the little thingy - they asked if I thought a speaking thingy would help, they organized it. I whinged about their newsletter being badly designed accessibility-wise, they changed designers and (c) they are "ethical" which for them means that their non-personal accounts are for charities and social enterprises, and accounts sir people who want to invest in social enterprises, greening schemes and such-like. 

• muuranker
    muuranker Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    I should add: a personal account costs £3 a month. This means they don't have to make money from folk who go overdrawn. Thinking about this: I'm going to put it to them that this might be a barrier for folks with disabilities, and could there be some exemption?  
  • JustPete
    muuranker said:
    I should add: a personal account costs £3 a month. This means they don't have to make money from folk who go overdrawn. Thinking about this: I'm going to put it to them that this might be a barrier for folks with disabilities, and could there be some exemption?  
    ABSOLUTELY!  The would get so much custom!

• forestvon8
    forestvon8 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am housebound, always done everything online on PC or ipad. My very ancient mobile can only text but you have to have a smartphone to buy a smartphone. I have been trying but cannot upgrade my old one. I want to stay with same provider but have a smartphone but cannot. 

So when my credit cards need updating, first half of next year I will have no access to pay for any groceries, or access to my bank account or paypal to pay anyone to shop though there is noone near who can shop for me, carers just do care, and cant do any extra. 

I named two relatives to take up power of attorney if needed, thinking if I had to go into a care home but they are not local so could not help practically. Never imagined this! 

There must be others and getting more in my situation in the squeeze. Appalling situation! 

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't they usually send out the credit card replacements a few weeks before the old ones expire? 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Normally yes as far as I know, they do send out replacements @Biblioklept :) 

@forestvon8 are you able to email or call your bank and speak to them about your concerns? 

And is there a particular reason you're not keen on changing your phone provider? Can you explain what has happened that means you can't get a smartphone with them, it sounds very frustrating indeed. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • forestvon8

Plusnet my phone and email provider said only recently they plan to stop email with a months notice some time in future. Dont know when. 
    My bank has their number to ring but while changing to BT they say best have a smartphone to tide over the gap with no landline, 'normally' 2 weeks but could be longer, some people with old equipment - like mine - may need new corded handset plus portable phones but i wont know till they come and woukd be further delay if need to buy new IF I can access paypal but that needs a mobile phone. 

I may be able to transfer money on banking app before changing to bt to ask someone to get what needed but needs care as if they are overdrawn, it just pays off their overdraft so they cant use it. Caught like that before once. 

Ebay saved details for things to get on ebay but will need to update the 3digit id code, if I can, but all phone sellers want paypal. But if no internet yet, couldnt order anything. 
    I am in rural valley so installation likely slower than in a town. 
    Other places have plusnet too as contact no. 
    I am changing as much as poss to gmail in case i could view gmail on somone else’s ipad or phone. 

Trying to see if can contact bank, but so far only website options. So many things to sort at same time it takes time and my very limited energy. 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Just wanted to flag up that it is quite possible to use Power of Attorney (POA) for finances when the donor still has capacity.  It is however very important to set up the POA before the person loses capacity.  Lots of info about this online.  It is the welfare bit that can only come into play once capacity is lost.  I have been helping my dad with his finances for quite a few years now but he has only recently been deemed to have lost capacity (so now we can make welfare decisions for him if necessary) .  I do have to provide proof of the POA and banks in particular can be pretty awkward, but once you have registered the POA with them (which may involve the donor accompanying you to the bank to set it up: ridiculous but may still be the case) you can legally oversee or help with their finances.  I do online bank stuff regularly for my dad (he doesn't have a computer, and he's 5 hours away from me) The only tricky bit is him accessing cash as he keeps forgetting that he can get it out at his local post office counter...
  • forestvon8
    There is a reason why changing landline a prob, I need a smartphone in the meantime to tide me over but cannot buy one as no smartphone and dont know which would  work here reception in deep valley so poor. Only vodafone and Ee but variable depending on the phone. 
     Bt said my handset plus portables could need replacing, wouldnt know till they came, but would then have to order new ones which would take even longer to arrive but anyway I cant buy with no smartphone! 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 554 Pioneering
    Try Chase Bank. Download the app. It is all done on-line as they have no physical branches.
  • johndtay
    johndtay Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi,

NS&i don't offer banking accounts, just saving your money. I know banks should have a housebound service leaflet online. Also, applying online sometimes does require a copy of a valid passport via photograph or similar  I don't want to take the dealing with bank account away. I was just thinking, you may be able to set up a power of attorney who could then go and open this account on the behalf of the person who is housebound. Otherwise set one in your name, and just keep it separate from your own accounts. 

Brightness