PIP have my review form. I'm worried I'll have to have another assessment. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP have my review form. I'm worried I'll have to have another assessment. Any advice?

sarah2013
sarah2013 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,ok pip have had my review form since august 31th called them today to see what’s happening and a lovely lady explained to me that it will be a couple of days now and it will either be an assessment or award keep going ? I have anxiety and over think everything (I have ptsd anxiety depression arthritis fibro thyroid toxicity) so you can imagine my daily life,I said to the lady so worse case scenario I will have an assessment? Because that for me is !! Apart from losing pip of course !! Any advice? I feel when I said worse case scenario about assessment I sounded rude ??

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarah2013 - & welcome to the community. Unfortunately PIP claims & reviews are all taking a considerably longer time now due to backlogs. The majority of people do have assessments, so I would expect that. It might have been rather optimistic for it to have been said that you may potentially get an assessment in a couple of days, as you should normally be given a week's notice at least as to when this may happen. I wouldn't worry about what you said, as you were just talking to a call handler, not anyone at the DWP. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait to find out whether you'll have an assessment.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

It is more than likely you will have an assessment It could be a phone or f2f 

Some do have paper based assessment but these are rare
  • sarah2013
    Thank you so much for your comments,and thank you for welcoming me,they didn’t say I would have an assessment this week (sorry I worded it wrong) they said I should know as to whether I would have a run on or will have to attend an assessment at some point..and I should know which one this week) i hope they didn’t think I was being rude or that it sounded like I was lying ?? That’s just me I think I overthink things and focus on one stupid comment I think Iv said,even though the assessments I find are absolutely nerve racking it’s a chance for me to say what I didn’t think to say on review form,and for them to see me as I am but I just don’t like the anxiety of it all,it makes me physically ill,thanks guys 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sarah2013 :) 

I wouldn't say that was a rude comment, nor did it sound like you were lying. Many people are unsure about the process, and it's normal to ask a question about what the next step might be. 

It's also perfectly normal to feel anxious about assessments. You can only do your best and, as you say, if you need one it'll be an opportunity to answer some further questions. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about what may or may not happen!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • sarah2013
    Thank you for your comment,it’s such a worrying anxious time isn’t it,the wait,I have insomnia so struggle to sleep anyway but waiting is making it worse,I lay in bed and my stomach is like a washing machine,I can’t wait to see what’s what so at least my anxiety will calm down a bit,thank you for your advice,I really don’t want to come across as a liar or rude,yet that’s what I felt through my own fault,the lady on the phone was really nice to me,and if anything I appreciate that as have always been treated throughout my life as worthless and something like that makes my day,(sad isn’t it) 
  • Tori_Scope
    It can definitely be an anxious wait @sarah2013 :( 

I'm sorry to hear that you struggle with insomnia, and seem to be feeling quite anxious at the moment too. Do you receive any support for your anxiety or insomnia at the moment?

I was also sorry to read that you've been treated as worthless throughout your life. You're certainly not worthless. Do you mind me asking whether you're still around people who make you feel worthless? 

Also, I don't think that's sad at all. A small act of kindness or compassion can really lift someone's day, and we all need that sometimes. 

• sarah2013
    Hiya,thank you so much for your comment,the doctors used to give me sleeping tablets but as you probably know they won’t anymore,I have propanol for anxiety but I find nothing helps,it’s horrible,I grew up in a home with DV and then went on to have years of DV myself,I don’t anymore,but has really impacted my whole adult life,thank you for your kind words xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Is your doctor aware that the medication you're on isn't working as you'd hoped @sarah2013? Have you ever tried a talking therapy, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)? 

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced domestic abuse throughout your life. I can appreciate that this would have affected many different areas of your life. I'm glad that you're out of those situations now, but it could still be worth seeking some support to help you manage the ongoing effects. 

Women's Aid have a webpage on surviving after abuse, which could be worth a read. You could also perhaps look to see if there's a survivor's group local to you that you could attend? These aren't helpful to everyone, but some people find it useful to talk things through with other people who've had similar experiences.

• sarah2013
    hi,I have had therapy for ptsd and cbt,Iv also done emdr,none seem to work for me but thank you for that I will have a read,I really should talk to my doctor about my meds,thank you for your advice I really appreciate it 
  • sarah2013
    Hey,I have had someone from pip ring me today and she went through my answers with me,does anyone know who it would have been calling me and why? Thank you 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @sarah2013 - sometimes a Case manager/Decision maker will check to see if they need a bit of further info about your claim/review. Nothing to worry about, they are just trying to better understand your difficulties.
  • sarah2013
    Hiya,thank you for your reply,would there be a chance of them making their minds up after double checking my review without an assessment do you think ? Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, it has been known to happen. My daughter and myself had our PIP reviews this year and both had a paper based assessment, not even a phone call.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    It does happen @sarah2013 - some claims/reviews are just done on the info they have received (paper assessments); altho comparitively rare, they can happen. Due to your previous history, this may well be the case, but, to be honest, at this stage we would all just be speculating as to whether you'll need an assessment, or not, sorry.
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    edited November 2021
    I put a change of circumstances in August and heard nothing from them until my usual payment went in and was more than I was expecting, received decision letter the day after...so paper based here too and I was most surprised as I was gearing  myself up for another assessment.

hope you hear something soon without the need for an assessment 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    This happened on my last review too just a call from dm asked me few questions then gave me decision there and then enhanced for both

Good luck with yours 
  • sarah2013
    Thank you so much everyone,all I can do is wait and hope I suppose,it’s such a nerve racking time isn’t it,I’m happy for you all and thanks again,I shall update when I find out x
  • sarah2013
    Ok guys,it’s going to the dreaded assessment,the man said I’m looking up to 4 months wait,I’m very anxious but I’m trying to think positive by thinking it gives me time to get my bits and pieces together x
  • sarah2013
    Ok guys,it’s going to the dreaded assessment,the man said I’m looking up to 4 months wait,I’m very anxious but I’m trying to think positive by thinking it gives me time to get my bits and pieces together x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    That's unfortunate. The majority of people do have assessments, paper based ones are rare. I know there's huge backlogs in most areas so hopefully you won't be waiting too long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.