My hobbies and vegan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My hobbies and vegan

Ookpik
Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
Just want to mention the many interesting works l do that helps me through my daily life. l  have been making miniatures from hardwood. Of furniture of the Edwardian, Tuder, and George period. A bookcase l made was an Edwardian with around a hundred small books, some of these small books date back to the 16th century while some are a collection of encyclopedias. l also make little character people,.Many other things l make.
l also paint . Since l can never afford a Lowery painting, l decided to paint many of these . The one l have painted, which was 5 of them, 1/the riverside, Piccadilly circus, The Market, The Fairground, and Thurso up in Scotland. The genuine 5 fetched 15.6 million in the auction. l also painted the Salford Football match in the '30s [think it was the 30's] The genuine one fetched 5.6 million, and many morels painted.ll also painted the original coronation street area, known as Archie street.
l just love gardening. The garden l have is quite limited to what l would love to do, but l am happy with the results l have done. l grow fruit and vegetables and grow lots of flowers that attract insects to the garden. Sunflowers are one of my favourites, since it attracts many bees and butterflies, and provide food for the birds and squirrels.
When l around the garden. l would never harm any insect, animal if l see an insect walking on the ground, l would step around it, and when l dig the soil, l use a garden fork to reduce any injury to any underground living creature[like a worm] if l find a worm on the ground, l would pick it up and put it somewhere safe. l would even open windows etc to let any insect out, l would never harm any spider, so l gently pick it up and put it on a plant outside. And the reason why l do all these things.ls because l believe every little insect are little living souls that have the right to live. And l also believe in being a human being is to act and think humanely. 
l have a plant-based diet and feel good about it. For most of my life l was a meat and dairy eater, but 7 years ago, l suddenly changed my views about not eating animal products when l saw some horrifying methods used towards the animals for human consumption, and also what the animal products do to our health. 
l was a very unfit person before l converted to vegan. l was 19 stone, now,l am 13,7 stone, l has very high blood pressure, my pressure is now perfect, my circulation system was coated with cholesterol. They are now clear,l had terrible indigestion,l never have that now,l had gout, that is gone, so many more. So for health reasons, eating plants is great and taste good.
The environmental side is also another reason why l turned vegan. Intensive farming is very damaging to the landscape and takes up so much of the landmass that was once a habitat for wildlife. And also the appalling suffering these living beings have to endure is something l just cannot be part of.
So, there are 3 reasons why l chose vegan,1/ compassionate reasons,2/enviourmental reasons. and 3/ health reasons.
if anyone would like to more about what vegan can do for us. l can post some vegan recipes and also some reasons why veganism is the best step to take for our mental and physical well being.
l do apologize for not posting any photos of the work l have done. lt is only because l just do not know how to send the photos from my phone to the computer and onto here. l tried doing it but has always failed, so l just gave up on it.
l

Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Good morning @Ookpik :) 

How are you today?

Thank you for sharing your interests and passion for veganism and creative art. It sounds like you have many talents! It's great that you've discovered various hobbies :) I also enjoy a lot of art, but I'm not the best at it. 

I would love my own vegetable/fruit patch one day. Are they hard to maintain? It would be lovely to be able to eat fresh fruit and vegetables from your own garden everyday. I think I would try to grow strawberries initially; they're my favourite :) 

That's incredible that you've made those health changes and that you feel great for it. Well done you! It sounds like you've made huge amounts of progress. 

What type of phone/laptop do you have? You might be able to use a USB cable to transfer your phone photos to your laptop. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Ookpik
    "What type of phone/laptop do you have? You might be able to use a USB cable to transfer your phone photos to your laptop. "
    l have a 5-year-old "Motorola" iPhone, and laptop is , Dell SSD. l did try a USB cable. Nothing happened.Just to let you know, l am still living in the Ark
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for introducing us to yourself @Ookpik, you clearly have a lot of hobbies and interests and I appreciate you sharing them with us :) 

Regarding your laptop, could you use bluetooth to transfer the photos? Alternatively, it is possible to upload photos to the community straight from a phone.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ookpik
    "Regarding your laptop, could you use bluetooth to transfer the photos? Alternatively, it is possible to upload photos to the community straight from a phone."

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. But during the few days gone by. l was trying to do what you suggested and found that using a USB did not work and l tried sending the photos direct from the iPhone.  l know this is going to sound odd. But, what is Bluetooth and what benefits are there using it, and where do l find this Bluetooth. The iPhone problem l have is when l try sending photos, a Radar type image comes up "Similar" to that one sees on those WW2 radar places, and then it says, something, "Please try again", and again,, nothing.
    l do think what l have to do is find someone who can help me o how to send them. l have to admit, l still am living in the ark. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ookpik :) You may find these instructions on Techlicious' website helpful. Some of the stages have links to other pages that explain the steps a bit more, which is useful. Please do let us know whether any of it is unclear.

The Bluetooth symbol usually looks something like this:

Bluetooth symbol

Another option could be to email the photos from your phone to yourself, so that you can access them on your computer :)

As you've mentioned possibly benefiting from someone providing you with some help on these things, have you looked to see if there are any digital classes in your area? Some local charities offer classes for people to help them learn how to use certain tech, and feel more confident using tech devices.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ookpik
    edited December 2021
    Tori scope, 
                    Thanks for the valuable info. l have been trying all you have suggested. But, nothing has worked. l went onto Bluetooth and my iPhone said: " cannot be found"{something like that ], and the USB cable l bought from amazon, did not fit. 
    Boy!, l am not kidding you. |To the many people with iPhones, is like a daily chore. But to me, it is like going through a military obstacle course But, l will not give up. l do want to share my work to others on this forum.
    Thank you
  • Tori_Scope
    Is the Bluetooth on your computer also turned on @Ookpik? You can check this in your settings.

This isn't my area of expertise, but I've been able to successfully transfer images from my phone to my computer in a number of different ways before. 

Did you try emailing them to yourself? This may be an easier way of doing it. 

You could also try uploading the images to something like Google Drive, which would allow you to access your images on your laptop. 

• Ookpik
    Ok, l think l got it. This painting of mine is a delightful cottage scene in the heart of the English countryside. lt took me 2 weeks to paint this. Because of my disability. l have special tools to enable me to help me
    l am just testing to see if an image is successful.if so, I'll be plastering more of my work on here
  • Ookpik
    Ok, l think l got it. This painting of mine is a delightful cottage scene in the heart of the English countryside. lt took me 2 weeks to paint this. Because of my disability. l have special tools to enable me to help me
    l am just testing to see if an image is successful.if so, I'll be plastering more of my work on here
  • Ookpik
    Here's another one. One of the Lowerys paintings. Since l just did not have the money to buy one of his paintings. This one fetched 5.6 million quid. A football match in the early '30s at Salford.  Not the one l painted, but the original one. l wish it did. But at least l have 19 of them dotted inside the house. l thought l would paint one instead
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik said:
    Ok, l think l got it. This painting of mine is a delightful cottage scene in the heart of the English countryside. lt took me 2 weeks to paint this. Because of my disability. l have special tools to enable me to help me paint

• Ookpik
    Hi @Ookpik Your paintings are lovely. Well done.
    Thanks for that. I'll plaster some of my artwork of miniature characters and miniature books and period furniture later. 
  • Ookpik
    l thought l would try another one. Just to make sure l got the idea on how to transfer images. This time. l used "Google Drive. l hope it works.
    These are wooden plagues l made out of scrap wood of a large moth and a dragonfly
  • Ookpik
    Another one of Lowery's masterpieces of the area was known as "coronation street" , But was known as "Archie street" before that. l think l got the hang of sending photos. lt took some time but got there in the end. l painted loads of them
  • Ookpik
    One of the many little characters 50 l have carved. A cowboy, and a red Indian. Sorry for the many images l am plastering on here. But l just want to make sure l got the just of it.

• Ookpik
    There is just one morel would like to show. And this one from the "Master himself" is a painting of a funfair in the 30's l painted this, because,l found the detail was likened that to my childhood.

• Ookpik
    edited December 2021
    This is a 19th-century bookcase with approx 100 small books, some are 1/2inch, while some are about an inch. The table and chairs do date back to the 16th century.

• Tori_Scope
    I'm so glad you managed to find a way to upload these @Ookpik :) Awesome paintings!

• Ookpik
    Thanks Tori.
                       l have many more painted. And there are 5 Lowery paintings that went to auction and sold for 15.6 million. l painted those 5 because l just did not have the money to buy these original 5.
  • Ookpik
    lt is that time of year where many kinds of traditional recipes are used to feed the family and guests during Christmas time. 
    Here is a website full of vegan recipes l use when l have the need to make a menu. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegan-christmas-recipes

Brightness