Do i click yes or no — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do i click yes or no

Sweetpea8
Sweetpea8 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
I had this question but do i clicj yes or no .

I have never worked at all so do i click yes or no to this queation

In the 12 months before you claimed Universal Credit, were there any gaps in your employment?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the answer is NO because you have never worked.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Sweetpea8, you would click “yes”. There have been gaps.
    It may then ask you if at any time you earned below a certain amount or how much you earned so you would just put zero.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sweetpea8
    I ended up clicking No my mum told me to click no as i have never worked so there are no gaps
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    You would tick "yes" because you've never worked, which means there's gaps. It's a question related to the benefit cap grace period. https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/how-earnings-affect-when-benefit-cap-starts
    Looking back at previous threads of yours i note you're receiving PIP, which means the benefit cap doesn't apply to you anyway.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    It shouldn’t be a problem if you’ve pressed “no” instead, as it’s only asking with relation to the benefit cap and as @poppy123456 points out, as you’re receiving PIP the cap won’t apply to you anyway. 

Did it then ask how much you earned? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a bit puzzled how can you have gaps  in employment when you have never been employed, @Sweetpea8 i'm sure you have done it right.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Which clearly means there's gaps. As advised, it makes no difference anyway because there's a PIP award here so the benefit cap doesn't apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @woodbine. They ask to see if a claimant has earned over a certain amount each month for the last 12 to see if they’d be eligible for a grace period from the benefit cap. 
    If someone has never worked that is a gap in their employment history (one long gap). 
    It is a really poorly worded question and I’m surprised they’ve not updated it. It causes no end of confusion. 
    Fortunately, unless someone is actually eligible for a grace period, answering it incorrectly seems to have very little impact. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sweetpea8
    I do get pip. But i dont get universal credit its my 1st time applying
  • Sweetpea8
    Even though i clickee no does it effect the payment 
  • Adrian_Scope
    No it shouldn’t effect the payment. They’re just checking if the benefit cap will apply to you (but as you receive PIP it wont), so you don’t need to worry. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Out of curiosity are you a full time student?
  • Sweetpea8
    Im a fulltime college student yes and handed in fit note to universla credit too
  • Sweetpea8
    But i dont get student finance as im a college student im not in university.

Im still in college as i havd EHCP 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    woodbine said:
    I'm a bit puzzled how can you have gaps  in employment when you have never been employed, @Sweetpea8 i'm sure you have done it right.
    I think it's one continuous gap (which i know isn't really correct use of the english language).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sweetpea8
    @calcotti by whats been said it looks like it doesnt apply to me as im on PIp 
  • Sweetpea8
    @poppy123456 in in full tine education in college
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    Sweetpea8 said:
    But i dont get student finance as im a college student im not in university.

Im still in college as i havd EHCP 

Full time students are unable to claim UC unless it's very specific circumstances. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students
    Have you started the claim for UC? If so have you told them you're a full time student?

• Sweetpea8
    @poppy123456 they know im in full time education and i been tokd aswell how much i get got the ststement today they also got my fit note and i csn get it as im on PIP
  • poppy123456
    Usually full time students are unable to claim UC, even if receiving PIP.. unless it's very specific circumctances. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.