Do i click yes or no - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do i click yes or no

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Usually full time students are unable to claim UC, even if receiving PIP.. unless it's very specific circumctances. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility
    As OP refers to college and EHCP I infer it is non advanced education.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sweetpea8
    Sweetpea8 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Thats with university im not in university
  • Sweetpea8
    @calcotti @poppy123456 im studying a level 2 diploma  customer service 16-19 course im ages 23 and have an ehcp and on pip .

In not in uni
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    calcotti said:
    Usually full time students are unable to claim UC, even if receiving PIP.. unless it's very specific circumctances. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility
    As OP refers to college and EHCP I infer it is non advanced education.

Yes i know that. The specific student rules still apply, regardless of whether it's either advanced or non advanced. If the OP has parental support and is a single person then i'm very surprised their claim for UC has been allowed.
    Disabled students that have parental support can only claim UC if they've been assessed as having limited capability for work and claim a disability benefit such as PIP/DLA.  https://cpag.org.uk/sites/default/files/files/resource/CPAG-scot-factsheet-universal-credit-students-Apr21.pdf
    I can only assume that the OP doesn't have parental support.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sweetpea8
    edited December 2021
    @poppy123456 i live with my mum but waiting to move to supportrd living. And i get a disability beinfit which is PIP.

U just said Disabled students that have parental support can only claim UC if they've been assessed as having limited capability for work and claim a disability benefit such as PIP/DLA. 

I do get PIP
  • Sweetpea8
    @poppy123456 and i have handed in my fit note too so im waiting for a work capabikity assessment.
  • Sweetpea8
    @poppy123456 in january i will hoepfully be in supported living then so wont have parental support. Work coach had to checj rules etc anyway when i ssid im in fulltime education she ssid only way ti get it was for me to hand fit notes in 
  • poppy123456
    As you have parental support I’m surprised tournaments  claim has been accepted. Waiting to move into supported living makes no difference here. 
    Have you received your first statement yet telling you how much you’re receiving for your first payment? 
    Please refer to the links I provided above about full time students and UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sweetpea8
    @poppy123456 I got the statement today 
  • poppy123456
    Students and UC still confuses me. Very complicated.
  • Sweetpea8
    edited December 2021
    @poppy123456 I was told u can get it if u claim pip by my dads cousin as she a work coach at a different job centre.

And my work coach said i can get it but need to hand in fit notes. Only commitments i have to do is attens appointments on phine ans in person as i handed fit note in
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Like poppy I find UC and students very confusing (in fact I think she understands it better than me), however I am not convinced that your work coach has understood the regulations.

If someone is making a claim for UC now and are a full time student, as I understand it, they are only eligible for UC if they receive PIP and have already been found to have Limited Capability for Work before starting the course.

However this policy is based on the expectation that students support themselves from the grants and loans available to them. However such finance is not available for those in non advanced education and I don’t understand how such students are expected to be supported - but I can’t find an exception for those in non advanced education to support the approach adopted by your work coach.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sweetpea8
    @calcotti ny work coach had to check with others higher up than her in the job centre and her manager too.

I can get it as im on PIP and as it not a universiry course and i am handing in fit notes and waiting for work capabilitu assessment
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    I am not convinced that your work coach has understood the regulations.
    Thats exactly my thoughts. Even with a PIP claim and a fit note. Based on the information given here i see no entitlement to UC based on being a student. Work coaches often get things wrong.
    When you claim UC i can't remember whether they specifically ask the question "are you currently a student"
    All overpayments are recoverable for UC so i'd advise you to put a note onto your journal saying that you're a full time student etc etc.
  • calcotti
    Sweetpea8 said: I can get it as im on PIP and as it not a universiry course and i am handing in fit notes and waiting for work capabilitu assessment
    I realise that’s what you’ve told - just trying to understand it!
  • Sweetpea8
    @calcotti @poppy123456 i did apoly bacj in januray/february and it got turned down as i was not claiming pip at the time and was in full time education and waa living with my mum.

But when i found out i got pip i applided in this year in November and  universal credit it not been turned down this time and im still in full time eudcation  and still living with my mum but not for long.

• Sweetpea8
    edited December 2021
    @poppy123456 @calcotti they have seen proof that im in full time education

* Image edited by moderator to remove name and personal details
  • Sweetpea8
    @poppy123456 @calcotti i think also because i dont have a student loan/grant that is also why.

Im moving in january so need to be able to pay for supportrd living anyway 
  • calcotti
    If you will be in supported accommodation any help with rent you are entitled to will be through Housing Benefit, not UC.
  • Sweetpea8
    I cant get hoising benifit as im in education . And universal credit has a housing eliment to help with costs

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.