pip letter for claiming road tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip letter for claiming road tax

bessbear
bessbear Community member Posts: 4 Listener
can anyone please help . i took all the paper to post office for my road tax. i was told the letter from the dwp was not the right one.
i rang the dwp they sent me out the letter i thought i needed. yet again the post office said it was not correct . to be fair it was the same letter as before  just a new one .

the letter says ''your statement of entitlement
dear mrs  ????
thank you for asking for a copy of your pip statement.
your statement shows of your pp award.it also shows which rate you ve been awreded along with the start date and end date .

the post of says i need a certificate. 
is they anyone here with one that they have used for claiming raod tax ...if so can you tell me what i need to ask for when i re ring the dwp .  thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not the PIP award you need. In with the decision letter is a separate certificate that states your entitlement to the free road tax, it's this you need and not the PIP award.

You're only entitled to the free road tax if you have Enhanced mobility. If you have standard mobility then you're only entitled to the 50% reduction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    It's called the entitlement certificate. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    This is true hubby only got the standard and is still entitled to the 50% reduction but there doesn't seem to be a  form one can send off for to get this and no question to answer on any other one or the link above  to say you have the standard rate. 
  • poppy123456
    sue66 said:
    This is true hubby only got the standard and is still entitled to the 50% reduction but there doesn't seem to be a  form one can send off for to get this and no question to answer on any other one or the link above  to say you have the standard rate. 
    This is because the only way to claim the 50% reduction to send all of your documents, including your PIP award letter to DVLA. See link on how to claim this.

• BatleyBob
    BatleyBob Community member Posts: 1 Listener

I have spoken to a senior customer service advisor at the DWP who told me that the certificate of entitlement is only issued to people awarded the enhanced rate of mobility, it enables them to claim 100% refund of their vehicle road tax, people who are awarded the standard rate of mobility are entitled to 50% refund of their vehicle road tax. To differentiate between the two groups the standard rate mobility recipients are issued a statement of entitlement which enables them to claim 50% refund of their vehicle road tax.

• poshpaws
    poshpaws Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you, that information is really helpful.
    Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking. J. C. Watts
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @poshpaws :) 

I'm glad this thread from last year has been helpful for you. Did you have any specific questions in relation to road tax/PIP?
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poshpaws
    poshpaws Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi - yes, I was looking for confirmation that I would be eligible for 50% off road tax, and this page confirmed that I am.  <3
    Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking. J. C. Watts
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    That's great @poshpaws :) if there's anything else that we can help with, then please just let us know!
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Brettmilnes
    Brettmilnes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    bessbear said:
    can anyone please help . i took all the paper to post office for my road tax. i was told the letter from the dwp was not the right one.
    i rang the dwp they sent me out the letter i thought i needed. yet again the post office said it was not correct . to be fair it was the same letter as before  just a new one .

dear mrs  ????
    your statement shows of your pp award.it also shows which rate you ve been awreded along with the start date and end date .

is they anyone here with one that they have used for claiming raod tax ...if so can you tell me what i need to ask for when i re ring the dwp .  thank you 
    It’s a certificate of entitlement from pip 
  • poppy123456
    bessbear said:

dear mrs  ????

It’s a certificate of entitlement from pip 

This is an old thread from over 3 years that someone's commented on today. I would assume that after 3 years the OP has sorted the issue. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.