Hi, my name is Gingerflamingo! I'm looking for support on Dyspraxia and ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Gingerflamingo! I'm looking for support on Dyspraxia and ADHD

Options
Gingerflamingo
Gingerflamingo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Hi there, I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when I was 7 and I suspect I may have ADHD as well. I am just learning what it really means and how it affects me after being dismissed from two jobs for fairly minor reasons. 

I have joined this community for support and hopefully to interact with others with Dyspraxia and ADHD. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Gingerflamingo and welcome :)

I know you've already started a discussion on the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your previous jobs and I hope you'll be able to get some advice and feel supported by the community here. 

If you'd like to talk with others about your Dyspraxia and ADHD you can head to our Autism and neurodiversity category and start a discussion.

If you need a hand with anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sammac
    Sammac Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi. Sorry your jobs didn't work out. Maybe this is your chance to think about new directions. Hope it all works out.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community from me too @Gingerflamingo :) How has your weekend been so far? 

Have you begun the process for looking into an ADHD diagnosis at all? Many people don't realise this is something they might have until a little later on in life, so you're certainly not alone. 

In terms of connecting to other people with dyspraxia, you might be interested in the following discussion that was posted recently onto the community: I have dyspraxia and sometimes struggle to build relationships.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Gingerflamingo
    Options
    @bekindalways
    I came up with Ginger flamingo because I'm into vintage and retro and love flamingos. And I have ginger hair. So decided I was a ginger flamingo 😂 Glad you like the name!
     @Tori_Scope
    I had a good weekend thanks and yourself? 
    I haven't properly looked into an Adhd diagnosis yet. I did mention it when I went for my Dyspraxia reassessment two weeks ago and she said she could give me a test to do to give me an idea but couldn't officially diagnose it. I think there's a far chance I could have it also but the OT also informed me that Dyspraxia speeds up the brain to overcompensate for the slower process so this also makes sense. 
  • Gingerflamingo
    Options
    Sammac said:
    Hi. Sorry your jobs didn't work out. Maybe this is your chance to think about new directions. Hope it all works out.
    In all honesty what I really want to do is work for myself. However, the barrier to that at the moment is finance. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hey @Gingerflamingo

Firstly, a warm welcome to Scope’s forum from me too. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today? Also, I am so proud of you for finding the courage to reach out for support when you need it. We always appreciate how much courage it must take.

I am really sorry to hear you were dismissed from two jobs. Would you like to discuss anything around what you have learnt ADHD and dyspraxia mean for you? why you were dismissed? Or how you could find more supportive employment?

We are always here for you, but it would be good to hear more about what support you are looking for so we can provide you with the best support possible. I think we are a supportive and friendly community, and I hope you will find the same! 

A discussion section you might find particularly useful for meeting others with ADHD/dyspraxia is our autism and neurodiversity category (https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/learning-disabilities-and-autism). I hope this helps but if you have any specific questions or anything you want to discuss, we are here for you. You never have to go through this or anything else alone if you don’t want to  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness