Living with learning disabilities in a cashless society — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living with learning disabilities in a cashless society

Options
Louc
Louc Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
edited November 2020 in Research and opportunities
I am a trustee of a parent carer forum and we are looking to write up an article on how the covid 19 pandemic has speeded up the journey towards a cashless society and how this is likely affecting people with learning disabilities and other disabilities. We would not make any reference to named individuals, we are just interested to hear of people's experiences and any life hacks to offer parents of young people with LD. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

My daughter has a learning disability and counting money for her is a nightmare. She uses her hands to count numbers but when in shops this isn't possible. Although she's almost 20 she still struggles with this. For this reason when she's out shopping i must be honest, cash payments for her would be impossible. Cash payments in my opinion are so much better than cash, especially for those that struggle.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi @Louc This sounds like an increasingly relevant subject to speak about.  I'm looking forward to reading the article if you could share it with us when it's done?

Also, could you send us a little email to community@scope.org.uk so we can clarify how you will use our members comments?  We just need to make sure any details/data are kept safe.

Many thanks :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think that even before covid we were heading or maybe hurtling towards being a cashless society especially with the closure of bank branches and the removal of ATM's, I don't think it will be long before we have to start paying to withdraw our own cash more so if interest rates go negative.
    To be honest I has never used my cards as contactless until about a year ago but I just looked and I haven't withdrawn any cash for 6 weeks now.
    I'm afraid it's called the march of time, some will see it as progress others as a pain.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• hejyork
    hejyork Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

Did you end up writing the article? I'd be interested in reading it. I'm part of York Disability Rights Forum and some of our members are being really impacted by the cashless approach. I actually ended up writing a blog post of my own about it and it looks like it's disproportiately affecting marginalised groups eg disabled people, older people, people from a BAME background...

Thanks

https://ydrf.org.uk/2021/11/30/a-cashless-society-good-for-everyone/

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.