Complex PTSD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Complex PTSD

Options
nuclearpeter
nuclearpeter Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, I am diagnosed with complex PTSD. I have had medium level depression most of my life, with episodes of severe clinical depression. Psychologists recommend integrating traumatic events slowly in order to no re-traumatise the patient. When I was 27 I had a "near death" experience. In fact, I was dead and was revived. The Netflix series on near death was very revealing, and one interviewee said that their life was never the same again afterwards. I agree.

I have a question, if anyone has experienced this, I would appreciate your thoughts. After my near death experience, after I was revived, it felt that my whole memory was recreated, traumas and all. After this experience, I had very sever clinical depression. My question is whether others had the same experience, and if it is true, that the revival is in effect, retraumatizing event - i.e. exactly the opposite of "slow", but a double dose of the same trauma. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nuclearpeter :) Thank you for posting about your experience of living with C-PTSD, and for being so open and honest with us. I can imagine that it's a difficult thing to talk about, but I hope that being able to get things off of your chest and connect with others in a similar position will be really positive for you. 

I can't pretend to know what you're going through, as it's not something I've experienced myself, but we do have other members on the community who live with C-PTSD so I hope that they'll find your post soon. 

Have you been receiving enough support to help you manage your C-PTSD and depression? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Artful
    Artful Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi, @nuclearpeter I am also diagnosed with Complex PTSD so I can discuss this issue with you but have no experience of a near death experience although I think of myself as a spiritual and open kind of person and would be a willing ear for you on the matter. I am sorry I cannot be of more use to you but I hope it may be a small consolation for you 😊

Brightness