Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Oonagh! I joined to hear about spinal cord stimulator experiences

Options
Oonagh
Oonagh Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I joined to hear about spinal cord stimulator experiences. I have been asked to consider it after long term post operative neuropathic pain. Pain is in right leg. Would welcome comments from Anyone 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,432 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hi @Oonagh welcome to the forum. I can't really say as I've not had any input with a spinal cord stimulater, but I have seen others say about them, who may reply.
    Take a look around the site, you might come across topics on it. 
    There a thread here about it called 

Spinal Cord Stimulator

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Oonagh :) It looks as though we've had quite a few members talk about spinal cord stimulators over the years. Here are a few examples:
    You can use the search function to find more discussions about this too. 

How are you feeling about the prospect of the procedure?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • FunWithChemo
    FunWithChemo Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    It has been a long time since you posted your question. I am a 4-time cancer patient and have gone through chemo 3 times, radiation 2 times, and multiple surgeries, including a double mastectomy without reconstruction. I went into my most recent chemo about 4 years ago with mild diabetic neuropathy and left chemo with severe peripheral neuropathy. Every step hurt - a lot! I was on opioids for a while, but eventually, I asked my pain doc to take me off the opioids because I felt they were stealing my energy and sedating me. He suggested a spinal cord stimulation device, and I elected to have one implanted at my waist on my back. My results have been phenomenal! I have a 65 to 85 % reduction in pain.  I was initially anxious because I had to have a trial run in which they implanted a device that they would remove, and a new device was installed long-term. I place a charging device over the implanted device about once each week. Interestingly, I found a low setting was best at reducing my pain. I wish you good luck and a life free of pain.