understanding — Scope | Disability forum


chezza43 Member Posts: 4
Hi, im a mum of a 20yr old who as learning disabilities,  my daughter is on jsa and receives £21 aweek from mobility  pip payment,, she currently  attends job centre once a fortnight, and has to attend ingues ( work programme )  once a fortnight too,, i just feel as though they dont really understand the complex of her disability,  as she doesn't  appear  to look to them as there is anything  wrong, i myself find these places very daunting  so can u imagine how my daughter feels, i have to attend when possible  with her  as i have to break  down the information  in ways she can understand,  i have been told she may be entitled  to a bus pass , and do places like job centre have any real understanding  of ppl with disabilities?  Cause i feel as though they constantly  push all time, , thankyou for reading


  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Member Posts: 208 Courageous
    Hi Chezza43,

    We’re sorry to hear that your daughter is having difficulties with the job centre. As your daughter is on JSA they will be assuming that she has a certain amount of capacity to be able to search for a job and follow the processes they have for claiming JSA. If you daughter hasn’t been through the work capability assessment then it may be worth her applying for ESA so she can have this assessment. If she is found to have limited capability then she will get extra help as a disabled job seeker which may make her experience with the job centre a little easier. We would be happy to discuss the work capability assessment in more details if this would be helpful or you can look at the Gov guide here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/esa214-a-guide-to-employment-and-support-allowance-the-work-capability-assessment.

    In regards to getting your daughter a bus pass your local authority should have the qualifying criteria listed on their website so you can check to see if she is eligible and if yes it should also list the application process.

    Please let us know if we can help with anything else. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.