lasting powers of attorney — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

lasting powers of attorney

pip
pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
edited November 2016 in Research and opportunities
we have a lasting powers of attorney for health and welfare form for my elderly mum. there are two attorneys my sister and I. is it better we both have to agree on things? Also not sure about life sustaining treatments etc, mum wants them but the question on the form asks if she lets the attorneys decide. can anyone advise? we only want to use the LPA if a last resort.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Hi @pip

I found this information about LPA on the government website that might be of help.

You can also speak to the Office of the Public Guardian about LPA

Telephone: 0300 456 0300
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesday, 10am to 5pm

Call charges apply.

Office of the Public Guardian 
    PO Box 16185 
    Birmingham 
    B2 2WH 

Sam 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pip
    thankyou, we may see mum's GP about it too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    hey,

you might want to get your mum to have a look at compassion in dying; they support people to think about advanced decision (aka advance directive) so if there are disagreements among the LPAs the wishes of the person are always upheld.  They have a free info line - 0800 999 2434 - and might be able to advise on any other questions around LPAs and their role.  I went to a training session they delivered recently and found it really useful.  

-R
  • pip
    thankyou rosie. mum and I dont really understand it, and we didn't need one for my father, so they may help.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.