New Government

2»

Comments

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

If they make these changes I been told it won't be over night is that correct ? And hopefully in that time charities people take them to court

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 112 Empowering
    edited September 12

Any big changes require law changes, that follows a process.

White paper

Bill & first reading (commons)

Bill second reading (commons)

Committee stage

Third reading (commons)

First reading (lords)

Second Reading (lords)

Committee stage (entire houses

Third reading (lords

Royal accent (becomes law)

Two month minimum before law becomes active.

During all the above there could be delays due to amendments (mainly from the lords) and a possible but not certain pausing of the bill by the lords for up to a year.

At worst on average anything announced in the budget would go through this process in roughly a year, at best 2-3 years.

Even when All the above's complete they'll need to trial everything.

Using UC and PIP as examples of how "fast' these things rollout you can likely relax for many years.

• Cantilip
    Cantilip Community member Posts: 625 Empowering

OK folks, it's September 12 meaning there are 25 days to go. We are not getting positive messages for all that it's speculation what will ensue. We have not been given even a quarter of a reason to think Kendall will give us a nice box of chocolates. So we can sit here getting ever more distressed, depressed, angry, frightened. Or not. However hard/impossible that is. Out of pure self-interest, let us all keep our cool, because it will not help to be distressed, depressed, angry and frightened. It won't help us solve any problems presented to us on October 7 or to find out and talk to whomever might be able to help us solve those problems.

• apples
    apples Community member Posts: 337 Empowering

if they can stop the winter fuel payments instantly IF there are changes to pip, lcw, lcwrw why would this take longer ?

• Catherine21

Oh bless you thankyou very much for explaining thankyou

• Catherine21
  • Nightcity

The winter fuel payment didn't require law changes it's an annual payment with no laws in place like PIP/UC.

• Nightcity
    edited September 12

My pleasure. @Catherine21They can't just announce something then the next day it starts.

Even they have to follow rules, which probably disapoints them.

• Catherine21

I can imagine it does ! Thankyou put my mind at rest

• apples
    apples Community member Posts: 337 Empowering
  • wendy1
    wendy1 Community member Posts: 77 Empowering
    edited September 13

HI luvpink,

I'm the same, losing my ( single ) council tax discount and might not have a roof over my head.

How they expect us to survive beats me, that's probably what they want.

As you say, most off us are just scrapping by. First their reducing our benefits and now expecting us to pay out more. Surely they can't get away with such evil acts

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,671 Pioneering

Isn't the 'BIG' thing that we as a community i.e. SCOPE and others who share a commonness in that we have health 'vulnerabilities' that at times sets us apart from 'normal people'; that we should stick together, we have a voice, we should shout loudly so Government has no choice but to listen to our concerns and act in a way that is acceptable.

As a side note the Government could raise billions, it's easy, the top 250 companies in the UK has surplus cash, they are always buying out other companies for billions, just look at Shell so much surplus cash. The Government could borrow the money and pay it back as the economy grows.

Shell wouldn't even notice.

• Catherine21

I'm not paying it haven't paid water 22 years tv 6 years stopped gas I'm not losing my home no way ! The only way for goverment to listen if we all stop paying bills marches don't work pertitions don't work actually starmer wants more riots to bring facial recognition in

• Catherine21

This is part of a plan 2020 was a test starmer laying foundations as they say hes a puppet I might be wrong but it is getting very sinister

• luvpink
    luvpink Community member Posts: 219 Empowering

Yes, not only will I have to find the money to pay the extra 25% council tax but its bound to increase again next April.

Last year our local council increased it by the maximum amount and my rent will also go up.

I really do despair. 😓

• Cantilip
    Cantilip Community member Posts: 625 Empowering

As we know, Housing Benefit is means-tested, but it is not a qualifying benefit for WFA. I can think of no reason why not and have asked my MP to ask the Chancellor. Will let you know if I get a reply.