Top seven travel tips for accessible travel — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Top seven travel tips for accessible travel

SrinMadipalli
SrinMadipalli Community member Posts: 5 Connected

Srin Madipalli is the disabled entrepreneur and CEO at Accomable, the leading booking platform for accessible hotel room and holiday homes with more than 1000 accessible hotel rooms and holiday homes available to book online. As an avid traveller, Srin shares his top travel tips.

Researching the destination

Before travelling, I always spend some time Googling destinations to see what accessibility is like. Accessibility can vary greatly from place to place. Countries with more developed infrastructure are usually easier; and will often have legislation in place requiring accessibility. I’m a powered wheelchair user unable to independently transfer, so it’s really important that I can find plenty of step-free access to buildings and wheelchair accessible transport options that are affordable. Unfortunately, it’s still difficult to find a one stop source of information. However, I helped create a Facebook Group called the Accessible Travel Club, a very active community of travellers with accessibility needs from all around the world. 

Man in wheelchair at the top of a mountain looking at the camera

Knowing what equipment you need

When travelling, I need a portable hoist (MoLift Smart) and my travel shower chair (Borringia Chameleon). I also usually take my travel ramps (Bentley Fielden Travel Ramp) that can fit on the back of my wheelchair. Finally, if I’m flying, I also take a Promove sling with me to make it easier for the assistance staff at the airport to safely transfer me.

Finding the right accommodation

Accessibility and location are the two main things I always look for. I need rooms with a roll-in shower that have space under the bed for my hoist. I helped create Accomable to make this search easier. Where possible, I love to stay in self-catering apartments – for example, my favourite place in Barcelona is this accessible apartment.

Depending on the transport situation and whether public transport is accessible, I also try to find places that are nearer to the city centre. However, this is not always practical (or affordable!), but it is ideal if I can just roll around everywhere I need to go in my wheelchair.

Man underwater with scuba diving equipment

Don’t fancy a big trip? Try a staycation first

At Accomable we often speak with people who are nervous about travel because they’re unsure of how easy it will be to get around a new country; or that they don’t trust how accessible their accommodation will be. I can completely understand this as someone who would regularly arrive at holiday accommodation only to find steps to the front door! It’s one of the main reasons I started Accomable. If this is you, my advice would be to take things slowly at first. Maybe a relaxing weekend in the countryside that’s only a short drive away? There are some brilliant accessible stays across the UK, whatever your tastes, from an eco-cottage in the Shropshire Hills to a designer pad in Wiltshire to accessible glamping in Devon.

Get into flight mode for a stress-free journey

Let your airline know that you have a disability when you make the booking, and tell them if you will be travelling with a wheelchair or any other mobility equipment. This will most likely need to be stowed in the cargo, so double check if this will count as part of your luggage allowance (and if not, what the additional charges would be). 

I also always let the airline know as far in in advance as possible that I need special assistance to get to and board the flight. The airport should always be able to supply a wheelchair and a trained person(s) to help you check in and board your flight on time and comfortably. I also remind the assistants at the check-in desk that I have booked special assistance for my trip.

If you are unable to independently transfer, you will need to be lifted from your wheelchair onto a narrow aisle chair. Once on the aisle chair, you are then moved onto the plane, where another manual lift is needed to transfer onto the seat.

As mentioned, sitting in a Promove sling does make this easier.

Man sitting on an adapted wheelchair on the beach next to the sea

Follow an accessible travel blog

Before you book, check the local tourism board website for information on wheelchair-friendly public transport (most major cities, particularly in Europe and Australia/New Zealand, should be good on this front), facilities and activities. There have been huge improvements to public infrastructure for people with mobility issues in the past 10 years making sightseeing easier and much more fun.

You could also check to see if any disabled travel bloggers have been there and what tips they give. Two that I recommend are Curb Free with Cory Lee and Have Wheelchair Will Travel.

Many will write guides on destinations, and their favourite accessible restaurants and sights. These blogs can really bring a destination alive, and make you feel more confident making a trip there.   

And remember, don’t forget the awesome Accessible Travel Club!

Enjoy yourself!

Look forward to your trip, discover a new culture, relax, visit a world famous site, see family, treat yourself - have a wonderful time!

Discover more than 1,000 fully verified accessible hotel rooms and holiday homes at Accomable – visit www.accomable.com or call 0203 409 6773

What are your holiday tips? What would make your travel easier? Let us know your good and bad experiences.

Comments

• kennethlongstaff
    kennethlongstaff Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Great information thank you so much
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @SrinMadipalli for this great post!  :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Great post @SrinMadipalli, and I love what you're doing with Accomable!

A great travel tip I remember reading from you in an article for Disability Horizons is to ask for photo proof when looking for accessible accommodation. Many hotels like to say "yes" to everything - so if you're in doubt, just ask them to send some photo evidence!
  • SrinMadipalli
    SrinMadipalli Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi @NickT - it's really touching to hear this and thank you for the kind words. It means a lot that we can give some hope.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    at last, music to my ears, thankyou.Sarin
  • WheelyRachel
    WheelyRachel Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    edited April 2017
    Thank you for some great travel information. 
    Ive stopped traveling abroad due to,
    1; being on my own and the single rates.
    2; all of the extra baggage charges for the equipment I need to take.
    3; Or higher charges for aid equipment when at destination.
    4; travel insurance being redicuosly expensive .
    5; not forgetting how many lies resorts or hotels will tell about the accessibility of the establishments. 

Even holidaying in the uk is so complicated you can't really on the web site booking agents like travargo or booking.com as they are often in correct with Disability facility information, and so much dearer for us. I recently had to stay in Birmingham near to the NEC chose  the Ibas hotel only to find that their accessible rooms well you can get in the room but can't get around the bed in a wheelchair and the only electric socket is over the other side so couldn't charge my chair easily. The the bathroom was massive and well equipment.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @WheelyRachel I saw @SrinMadipalli talking recently at an event and he was saying the same as you about accommodation not being truly accessible as they state on the websites! What a rubbish state to be in and Im sad that things like this have stopped you travelling. 

I have spoken to quite a few people about the extra costs of holidays for disabled people and it is so unfair.  

Regarding travel insurance, do you use those comparison sites? I have found reasonable insurance (thought higher prices than if I didnt have an impairment) through searching the money saving expert site.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • WheelyRachel
    edited May 2017
    Thanks, @Sam_scope
     I have used the various comparison sites. I now found out that motability now do travel insurance and it's good cover and reasonable too.
  • bethanmorgan3
    bethanmorgan3 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    My dad struggles with toilets whenever we go out and, as a family, we decided against going on holiday because it would be too much trouble for my dad. He is in a motorised wheelchair but usually in an assisted wheelchair whenever we leave the house, which again is rarely for my dad due to the toilet being such a big issue for him. Do you have any advice as to how we can better manage this? I would love to be able to go on holiday as a family and for my dad to feel confident that he could manage it 
  • WheelyRachel
    Do you have a raidar key.
  • kennethlongstaff

My dad struggles with toilets whenever we go out and, as a family, we decided against going on holiday because it would be too much trouble for my dad. He is in a motorised wheelchair but usually in an assisted wheelchair whenever we leave the house, which again is rarely for my dad due to the toilet being such a big issue for him. Do you have any advice as to how we can better manage this? I would love to be able to go on holiday as a family and for my dad to feel confident that he could manage it 

• kennethlongstaff
    HI Bethanmorgan3 i am in a similar situation to your dad and need to be hoisted for the loo so we plan to go to places where there are Changing Places disabled toilets which have hoist and auto loo's
  • bethanmorgan3
    bethanmorgan3 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    @WheelyRachel we do have a radar key, yes. It is really handy when we go out but it is still a challenge.

@kennethlongstaff thank you for your reply! My dad is very hesitant to accept that he needs help in the form of hoists and things. He struggles to transfer but at the moment would rather that than use equipment to help. How do you find the facilities on aeroplanes? 
  • Neets
    Neets Community member Posts: 93 Pioneering
    Great post, mine is also about travelling on my own. Haven't had a great experience with airports either. But would so love to travel for a break. 

The cost is is the biggest problem
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    My biggest problem is trying to find someone to go with. I managed to get insurance through my bank, who thankfully, haven't charged me any extra. I've not had a problem with airport assistance.
  • kennethlongstaff
    I have to many problems to even think about flying so will be having my first holiday for 4yrs in an adapted log cabin at the lakes,their is a carer available to

• Neets
    Neets Community member Posts: 93 Pioneering
     KennethLongstaff
    hope your good. I would love to here more about your trip or if you have a link. Are you saying they provide Carer's
  • kennethlongstaff
    The log cabin is on a farm at Crook just outside Windermere,There are two logcabins both with wet rooms, hoists ,hospital bed and shower chair. A carer is available at a charge of £12.50 hr .Two bedroom both double and in the twin a single plus hospital bed.i will forward the Link soon as i ind it
  • kennethlongstaff
    www.lakedistrictholidays.co.uk  If you were to google it and put in lake district holidays it is the option for Mitchelland Farm which is situated at Crook near Windermere. The lady who runs the business is an ex nurse and when we spoke to her she was extremely well informed and very helpful. 

Brightness