"Is PIP fit for purpose"? A welfare process that negatively affects health? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"Is PIP fit for purpose"? A welfare process that negatively affects health?

Options
124»

Comments

• DeeDeex4
    DeeDeex4 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Options
    I am, flu that's all
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    Options
    @Bendigedig I THINK I have replied on your wall, but I am not sure if I have done it right. I think in order to be able to send a private message you have to have whisperer rank.  Yep I am up for helping in any way I can. Please don't forget about the Book I am writing, would love your story Bedigedig, already have three kind Ladies on here mailing me regarding that, but the more the merrier. 
    I wouldn't worry about it being seen as a political statement. IT IS :-) We canot be activists and worry about stuff, BUT we need to do it properly whatever we decide, leave the ranting for on here, and present People with cold hard facts about the corruption in the system.
  • bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    Options
    @DeeDeex4
    Thank goodness!  I clicked on your name and it came up as you no longer being on here?
    @Justice
    hmmm.  Im not sure What kind of stories you are after but dont get me going.... Itll be like Jack o nory if youre not careful.
    ill just check my wall thing :)
  • Justice
    Options
    @ Bendegidig  Just the story of what happened when you had an assessment, what the assessment was for, as in PIPS or ESA. What the outcome was, and how long ti took you to reach the outcome, and how it made you feel. Just facts.
  • bendigedig
    Options
    @Justice
    I think That I may have already written this down somwhere on here.

I will write this for you if you like.  

Im not sure exactly what it is that you want to do with the information though?

You say that you are putting a book together?  Could you please explain a bit more about the book etc?
  • bendigedig
    Options
    @Justice
    When you asked me to email you i thought it was because you wanted to help us in challenging PIP.

As you said in your email basically that all you were interested in was getting info for your book and not to mail you again about any PIP campaign.  

Firstly you invited me to email you.  Had I realised the pretext of this was simply for you to compile other peoples information for an edditted book (that you still havent ellaborated on) then Im afraid that I formally dont want any involvement with your book.

For my part.  Even though some of the SCOPE community have supportted my suggestion to challenge PIP as a group I have to say that given the number of people on here complaining about their own individual circumstances I am slightly suprised that very few people have come forward in unity to challenge the government about PIP.

DISAPOINTING. I think the word is :(
  • dogsupport
    dogsupport Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi thought i would add my own thoughts, i recently had a pip assessment some points given, but not enough, i have to write to appeal (not got round to starting it yet) have severe mental health problems, the pip and esa assessors i have seen, are aware that attending the interview would cause my mental health problems to be worse, so they know what affect these assessments are having on people and increase suicidal thoughts, a close friend of mine hung himself weeks after being called for interview, he was unable to go out at all and said to friends he was going to overdose at the assessment, his DR wrote a letter and it was decided he didn't have to attend but only a few weeks later he hung himself which i believe was triggered by the stress of being called for an assessment. I understand they have to assess people but there must be another way.  I have been told that if in the support group that you should get pip so one step would be combining it into one assessment rather than two. 
  • Justice
    Options
    @ bendegidig I have just seen this post so sorry for the late reply.I did indeed invite you to e mail me if you wished to have your story included in the Book. I fully understand if you don't want to do that, not everyone would be happy with that. I do keep the e mail just for that though, otherwise it can get confusing.I believe you asked me in your mail to " Put my Book on hold, and come and join us"  I am confused as to what you want me to join I don't see any campaign going on here? I did tell you that i am not comfortable doing facebook. I had thought I may try it but to be honest I didn't like it last time I tried it, and I am not technically clever enough to be able to make a good job of it.

I am sorry for any confusion or upset this may have caused you, that was never my intention.
  • crafter
    crafter Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I yesterday had my Son`s PIP awaiting the results , He doesn't do anything or go anywhere on his own, He doesn't cook or even make a sandwich but was asked does he get a chocolate bar or bag of crisps out of the cupboard so if he doesn't cook he is meant to live on that, I'm sure the accessor wouldn't live on that. He cannot manage or understand money we kept telling the assessor that but she came up with the question of if he had a £1 and gave her 50p what would he be left with. and if he had £10 and gave her £5 what would he be left with yes good that a 27 man could do that but how would that extend to him doing his budget, pay his bills etc. the test for reading was asking him if he recognised the letter A . These are all questions asked in nursery school first year infants at the most . It was very intimidating and upsetting as it resulted in him in tears , my son doesn't cry not even if he is in pain
  • Doglover2
    Doglover2 Community member Posts: 49 Listener
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @bendigedig I've had three assessments since getting 0points from moving over to pip from indefinite dla.first was f2f. Horrific, hardly asked a thing,was made climb three flights of stairs, she galloped away in front and I lost her, so stood until she came looking for me.My report was a farce, she didn't even get my age correct, I won't go into it all but will say there were 27 'discrepancies' in my report.Second was phone call  during covid, An hour of rolling questions,failed assessment again, second unamious win at tribunal. Most recent,last week. All of them made me feel like a useless lump. But this most recent 1hr 22mins phone call was the most debilitating sickening shocker yet.I came away feeling like a shell,dehumanised, depressed even further,anxiety chewing at me,reproaching myself for days after, migraines with stress consuming me, felt sick ,still do,can't face a bite of food. 
    Now I know what's ahead of me in the coming months,when I get the report and subsequent third turn down. I am losing my sdp as well as my pip, just like I did in lockdown. We don't want fancy lives full of luxurious  just the peace to live decently.
  • Doglover2
    Doglover2 Community member Posts: 49 Listener
    Options
    @bendigedig I've read your post twice now,I've never seen anything with regards to the entire process so absolutely accurate . I'm In tears. You put into words perfectly what I think and expanded on those words better than I ever could. Makes me feel less alone. Thanks for that. 
  • harrybear1
    harrybear1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I posted about my assessment the other day. It was awful, pressed all my mental health triggers even though the letter I sent from my psychologist outlines what these are. Had to phone the emergency mental health team because I was so distressed. Still sitting here crying a week later. I honestly don’t understand why they bother doing them when someone just talks over you, doesn’t listen and tells you how you are.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options

Doglover2 said:
    @bendigedig I've had three assessments since getting 0points from moving over to pip from indefinite dla.first was f2f. Horrific, hardly asked a thing,was made climb three flights of stairs, she galloped away in front and I lost her, so stood until she came looking for me.My report was a farce, she didn't even get my age correct, I won't go into it all but will say there were 27 'discrepancies' in my report.Second was phone call  during covid, An hour of rolling questions,failed assessment again, second unamious win at tribunal. Most recent,last week. All of them made me feel like a useless lump. But this most recent 1hr 22mins phone call was the most debilitating sickening shocker yet.I came away feeling like a shell,dehumanised, depressed even further,anxiety chewing at me,reproaching myself for days after, migraines with stress consuming me, felt sick ,still do,can't face a bite of food. 
    Now I know what's ahead of me in the coming months,when I get the report and subsequent third turn down. I am losing my sdp as well as my pip, just like I did in lockdown. We don't want fancy lives full of luxurious  just the peace to live decently.

This thread is over 5 years old and the member hasn't been active for 3 years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.