Obesity

Comments

• vikki66
    vikki66 Community member Posts: 866 Empowering

Forgot to say ‘the weight loss community’ - is often non-obese people looking for a quick fix, so there’s as little binds that ‘community’ than binds the disabled community in general.

The ‘weight loss community’ that you mention, Albus, are you seriously including disabled people who happen to be obese in with this?

• Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 4,895 Online Community Team

For many people the obesity can be a compounding issue. It is often comorbid with clinical depression, other mental health conditions and physical conditions. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there are not other conditions that will also need to be treated properly for many. If the government can at least help people who do have obesity with this medication, putting aside if you agree with the effectiveness of it or not, it means one less condition they are having to be concerned about and deal with.

I don't think anybody considers this a magic bullet that will resolve all situations for anyone who is obese, but there are many people who would be greatly helped by treating their obesity.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,356 Championing

I quite like it as an idea, they're not saying they're going to be holding people down and forcing them to take the injections, they're offering. It's about time the NHS did more with preventative care. I remember reading that something crazy like 40 % of the burden on NHS services is from preventable illness.

This feels like a good move to me!!

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 1,172 Trailblazing

I've lost 2 stone this year, People can and will do what they can when they can.

I comfort ate for years because of clinical depression and hating myself and my life.

I decided to get some grip on myself and it wasn't easy, I asked for no help,got no help and have done it in my time on my terms.

some people can't that's ok, what is NOT ok for governments to interfere because of their greed and personal motives while bluffing it's for the person when all they are interested in is chucking someone else off the books.

• vikki66

Exactly this. Well said.

The people, with no relevant experience, commenting that it’s a great idea as it eases the strain people are putting on the NHS and/or the benefits system - would any of them like it if their condition was being talked about in terms of burden?

• vikki66

Well done nightcity, that cannot have been easy, in the face of the disability and difficulties you face. I’d love to be able to lose some weight (some of which is due to prescribed medications), but I have circumstances that mean I can’t at the moment.

Funny how these jabs, and this allegedly-preventative approach are being offered in connection with ‘worklessness.’

• Nightcity
    edited October 17

💛💜 thanks I need to shift another 3 stone.

no not easy but if I slip on a day I go hard next day to get back on track calorie control mainly no exercise involved either as my physical health doesn't allow me that so it is possible. jabs indeed stupid government.

on prednisolone ATM which always sets me back but need it a couple of times a year or My knees won't let me walk at all!

• Biblioklept

What do you know about whether or not I have 'relevant experience'?

You can't decide who can and who can't respond to discussions. I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion, but it's my opinion.

There are many people who have struggled with their weight for years who would very much welcome the opportunity to access these jabs in a safe and controlled way. Why wouldn't it be a good thing for them to have access to them? In what way is this a bad thing? I really don't understand.

• Biblioklept
    edited October 17

That's an amazing achievement @Nightcity!! Well done ❤️

See I view being offered these injections as a good thing as it will help those who want it. Not everyone is able to fight in the way you have. I don't see it as the government interfering, if they insisted anyone with a BMI over 30 HAD to have them, that would be different. But offering it to those with clinical need as an option if they would like it and feel they need that extra help, feels like a good step.

• Nightcity

thanks 💜

it's good IF the patient wants it, it's the governments vile motives and interference I object to.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,396 Online Community Team

Note from online community team:

Hello everyone,

We want this discussion to continue, but we’re concerned that things are becoming quite tense and could easily escalate.

Please remember that all discussions on Scope’s online community should remain civil, supportive, and safe.

We will continue to closely monitor this discussion, but if it escalates further, we may choose to pause, close, or even hide the discussion.

For more information, please read our online community house rules.

• vikki66

Similar re not being able to exercise, and eating. The only time I’ve lost any weight over the last couple of years was when I’ve had covid, it fell off then, but went back on just as quickly.

It must be difficult, but keep up the fight. If you can’t manage sometimes don’t beat yourself up, there’s always another day.

Again, amazing achievement 🏆🤩

• vikki66
  • vikki66

I didn’t mention you anywhere, so I find your approach to be somewhat confrontational.

Nor did I make any remark on who could respond to a post, so again there’s been a bit of unnecessary aggression from yourself.

I didn’t say that people weren’t entitled to their opinions.

• Biblioklept

"The people, with no relevant experience, commenting that it’s a great idea,"

I am one of the people commenting that I believe it's a good idea. And this was posted 24 minutes after I posted, with no one else in between saying they thought it was a good idea. So of course the evidence would point to it being about me and my response.

You also put limits on who you thought should or could respond or have an opinion on the topic with your qualifier and assumption about "with no relevant experience".

I am not the one being confrontational here, I felt I needed to justify and explain my opinion since you made such a public criticism and assumption about it.

I'm not even sure what the issue is as the conversation continued and it seems myself, you and nightcity are all in agreement that we don't like the government's motives and interference…

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,396 Online Community Team

Folks, can we please nip this in the bud now? I am asking very nicely.

• Biblioklept

Some nice preventative care there @Albus_Scope 😉😅

But yes, I promise I won't comment on the topic further! 🤐

• vikki66

I’m afraid you’re mistaken - it was an ongoing discussion from yesterday - it was nothing to do with your post being the last one. You’ve assumed wrongly there.

If you felt you needed to be confrontational based on your mistaken assumption, I get that, it happens to everybody (I’m including myself in the everybody).

• vikki66

I was commenting, and was interrupted, and didn’t see Albus’ message.

• Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 293 Empowering

Weight loss is contentious issue, but everyone's opinion here is a valid one

As a bigger person, I've struggled with my weight my whole life, I've tried many diets, loss lots of weight and then just put it all back on again.

I'm my experience there is usually a reason behind a person's overeating, poor self esteem, trauma, depression etc, etc and until we get to the bottom of why we do it and break those bad habits, nothing will work. My worry is that these injections cannot go on indefinitely can they?What happens after someone comes off of them? will they just go back to old habits? it's all a lot more complex than just giving someone a course of injections and then simply leaving them to it..

I hope the Government have a long term plan in place to keep on supporting those who choose to take up such an offer, I think it needs a holistic approach to truly work.